Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I do a google search for Duck Tolling Retriever breeders in Oregon, I can find a number of them. If I look at the Official USA Breed club for the Toller, I see one listed in Oregon. Is this club a sign of credibility? Is it a sign that this would be a good breeder to select? Should I look at and compare this breeder to those who are not a part of the official club? I also requested a complete list of breeders, so perhaps there are more that just aren't listed on the site? Not sure. Anyway, here is the link to the breeder that is listed on the site:

Beechwood Tollers - A Tribute to Eddy's Life

Do you see any red flag? What would you ask this breeder if you were looking to get a toller in Oregon?

EDIT: I haven't yet dug through super deep, but info does feel limited...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I like their site, not too many litters, active in trials, and very detailed survey of interest. Seems like they really care for their dogs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also saw some videos of their puppies. They put a lot of care into providing enrichment it seems. They have lots of different play and toy stuff. They have noise CD's which I suppose desensitize the pups to noises they may face in their new homes.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
They seem like a great breeder. Of course I would recommend asking about OFAs and stuff, but I like that they are very active competing with their puppies. I think the cost is reflective of how much work they put into their dogs.

Reactions: Chas

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cost definitely seems appropriate. I just need to figure out what I'm willing to pay. In theory, paying for a quality puppy should mean potentially fewer vet bills down the road, but there's no knowing for sure on that one. Also, it's a big cost up front, but not so big when you consider the life of a dog. I was talking to my husband about it and he seemed to think it was a lot, but he said it isn't a deal breaker. I asked about how far in advance to fill out their potential buyer survey and they said "any time." I'm about a year and a half to two years out from getting a dog and they have 10 people on their list right now. When do you think would be a reasonable time to fill out their potential buyer survey?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Right now, it's not a contract to buy and you can always get them to move you down the list if it's not a good time for you.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I always contact good breeders early. Namely because when they have a litter, all the puppies are generally spoken for already.
The breeder seems very good. Titles on the dogs, actively competing in lots of different disciplines, only a few litters.

Reactions: HelloToYou
1 - 10 of 10 Posts