Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in all out war against the fleas this summer. In past years, I gave my pack Advantix and never saw any fleas, however, ticks became an issue. So I switched to the Seresto collars two years ago and didn't see another tick OR flea... until this summer. I noticed one on my papillon, and suddenly, I was finding three, four, half a dozen on all four of my dogs. At the time, they'd had their Seresto collars on for four months (they are supposed to be good up to 8 months). Grudgingly, I bought them all new collars... but a week later, I was still finding fleas on them and still seeing them scratch.

I've been vacuuming twice a week, spraying an all natural flea repellent on EVERYTHING in my house, several times a week. I've given the dogs baths with flea shampoo, sprayed them with pet-safe flea repellent, kept the lawn mowed, washed their bedding, grooming them with a flea comb... And I'm STILL finding one or two fleas on them every day and many flea eggs. Luckily, I myself have not been bit or found fleas on me, so I know the problem isn't manageable, but still, I hate seeing my dogs scratch! It drives me nuts!

I was a complete believer in the Seresto collars, but I'm losing faith! Am I just being unrealistic to expect to never see a few fleas on my fur babies? Is anyone else having a rough time with the fleas this year?

·
Registered
270 Posts
You should have seen our house! We were doing all sorts of things, and they were in every room, all over the carpet. Our legs were covered in bites, the dogs chewed themselves red, we tried spraying them daily, we shaved them and washed them, and yet combing them made the combs black with fleas.
Confortis instantly got rid of them and they have not returned. Nor do they get ticks. It was like a miracle! Fleas have gotten to build up a resistance to medications used commonly, so sometimes you need to change after time. Its one of the problems with pesticides.

I hope this helps. : )

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was actually going to ask my vet about Comfortis tomorrow when I take my puppy for her check-up. A friend said it did wonders for her dog.

My mom tried a pill (not sure if it was Comfortis or something different) and didn't have much luck. However, a month later, her dog seems to be fairly flea-free (she also bought a cheap-o flea collar--not sure if that helped.)

Does the pill take a week or two to kick in? Or did you see immediate results? Do you know if the pill can be given as a secondary measure with the Seresto collar? (I will ask my vet about this tomorrow).

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Have you tried dusting the bedding and the dogs with food grade diatomaceous earth? It will kill the fleas and not just repel them.

I think too, it might dry out the flea's eggs. After a few days you can vacuum it up and give your dogs a bath if you think the powder is drying out their skin too much. Don't use anything but the food grade though, so it will be safe if your dog licks any of it off of themselves.

I've used it in the past and it seemed to help. I had a little dog back in the early 1990's that was super reactive to the stuff in dog collars and sprays...so I had to find more neutral products to use around her...and the diatomaceous earth did seem to help one summer when fleas here were a little bad. Thankfully, in my area, fleas are usually not a big problem.

Stormy

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just thought I would say, in answer to how quickly it kicks in, its only a couple days or so before all the fleas begin to die. We don't use anything else with it, no shampoos or flea collars or anything. Its been a few years and its still going strong. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just thought I would say, in answer to how quickly it kicks in, its only a couple days or so before all the fleas begin to die. We don't use anything else with it, no shampoos or flea collars or anything. Its been a few years and its still going strong. :)
Posting a quick update: I tried Comfortis a week or so after I made this post and the house and dogs have been flea-free since then. I was a little concerned about possible side effects, but none of my four dogs had any reactions to the pill. I will be using Comfortis next summer as well!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
we had this problem in Bulgaria a few years back, they were everywhere. We use flea and tick collars on all our dogs and and once a week we spray them with lemon water - not had a flea or tick since while all the dogs around have struggled. to get rid of ours, we did 1 thing that worked - in each room that had fleas we put a simple flea trap - a bowl full of warm soapy water with a lamp angled over the top shining on the water. Turned off the lights and left it over night, next morning the bowls were full of dead fleas. We just did this every night until there werent any more. that together with the weekly lemon water spray has worked wonders for our animals

·
Registered
214 Posts
we had this problem in Bulgaria a few years back, they were everywhere. We use flea and tick collars on all our dogs and and once a week we spray them with lemon water - not had a flea or tick since while all the dogs around have struggled. to get rid of ours, we did 1 thing that worked - in each room that had fleas we put a simple flea trap - a bowl full of warm soapy water with a lamp angled over the top shining on the water. Turned off the lights and left it over night, next morning the bowls were full of dead fleas. We just did this every night until there werent any more. that together with the weekly lemon water spray has worked wonders for our animals
Wow - I think that lamp trick is basically the science behind a home flea-trap I've seen advertised. What a crazy thing, but if it works, yay!
As for the lemon spray, we use a vinegar rinse, and also Brewers Yeast and the dogs have been flea-free. Yay naturals. :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts