Dog Forum banner

Not sure..

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Scott121488 
#1 ·
We just added a new puppy to our family and were told he was German Shepard full. And we aren't sure how old he is he's quite small compared to pictures and videos we see online. We saw four siblings as well all the same size. I'm hoping someone with more experience can help us
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
Do you have any pictures of him? We wont really be able to help if we cant see what he looks like. Side pictures of him standing and front views (of his face while standing) are good placed to start.

#5 ·
Your first picture didn't show up.
Did you get him from a breeder or a rescue? Your vet will be able to give you a general age estimate if they haven't already.

#7 ·
I wont lie, I wouldn't trust any breeder you find on craiglist. But either way congrats on your new addition and he is adorable. Its hard to tell from your photo but at the very least he looks like he has a lot of gsd in him.
Given the size, he and his siblings could just be not the best bred gsds, or the parents could have been on the small side. I'm not really sure on the general gsd growth estimates as they age.
If he has teeth, they are milk teeth (they have a few other names I cant think of) which are there temp teeth before their adult canines grow in.

#10 ·
3.2 pounds does seem small even for a 8 week old gsd. But puppy weight can be a bit subjective to the individual dogs, genetics also plays a role. Try weighing him again, I found that when I weigh my full grown dog on our regular old scale at home its not the same as what they get at the vets. Not say that's its a huge difference but, he might actually weight a little more then 3.2. And like I said if his parents are smaller or he just wasn't the best bred gsd, that could account for his slightly smaller size.
Anyways I think your vets your best bet on figuring out his age and weight. Keep us updated on what your vet thinks :).

#12 ·
Only on a cell phone picture so who knows but I based my judgment on the four siblings they showed me and they were all the same size no "runt" from what I saw but I whent into this knowing it was craigslist and that I could have bad results but all the puppies were playful and energetic. Either way he's got a new home and we all love him I'm active duty military and they have air of dog parks and pet friendly areas here on post as well as the vet. I'm going to ask my chain of command tomorrow for a kill time to take him to the vet with my wife as I'm very curious to what he has to say.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.