Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. My Doberman, Ruby, is my baby. I've been the primary caretaker of her since I got her. I trained her. Everything.

Lately, she's been sneaking food off the counters, when I'm not home. (I picked up a lot of extra hours at work this week.) She'll only do it when I'm not home. Does she just not care that my parents will punish her?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They've been catching her in the act and I believe my mom lightly smacked her and sent her into my room.

I usually yank her down by her collar, tell her bad dog in a harsh tone and take her to my room and sometimes smack her on the bum.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
For now...make sure nothing gets left out (everytime she finds som'thing, whether she gets caught or not is a reward)

I would do training sessions where she watches you put som'thing on the counter and gets rewarded for ignoring it...build that up to putting som'thing on the counter and you walking away...leaving the room...leaving the room for a while etc etc... reward heavy once you see she is understanding the game.

This actually modifies the behavior over time instead of simply suppressing it. :)

If your going to interupt or correct her when you catch her I would try to make it as unrelated to you (or humans) as possible...if she knows the humans are catching her, she will just get more sneaky. A starling noise would be better than a human correction IMO since she'll learn to associate the counter with an aversive...and not a human with an aversive.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
this might not have been right, but i read something about aversion training once and decided to try it out. my dog took a chewie off the table once. it shouldn't have been left there, my bad, but still, he shouldn't have taken it either, my bad again....any how, i punished the table, in front of my dog and now he wants nothing to do with it. seriously, i told the table how bad it was and that i would do all sorts of awful things to it for being so bad. he hasn't tried to take anything else from it since, i was careful to make sure he saw me do it...he may have thought he was in trouble, but he didn't behave as though he was, he just watched me very carefully then sort of sniffed at the table when i was done. i don't think this type of training is the best, but after reading about it i wanted to have a go....what do you think?
oh yeah, i have done some "leave it" training and have rewarded him for ignoring food, like the cat's food for example so that must have had something to do with it as well.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
this might not have been right, but i read something about aversion training once and decided to try it out. my dog took a chewie off the table once. it shouldn't have been left there, my bad, but still, he shouldn't have taken it either, my bad again....any how, i punished the table, in front of my dog and now he wants nothing to do with it. seriously, i told the table how bad it was and that i would do all sorts of awful things to it for being so bad. he hasn't tried to take anything else from it since, i was careful to make sure he saw me do it...he may have thought he was in trouble, but he didn't behave as though he was, he just watched me very carefully then sort of sniffed at the table when i was done. i don't think this type of training is the best, but after reading about it i wanted to have a go....what do you think?
oh yeah, i have done some "leave it" training and have rewarded him for ignoring food, like the cat's food for example so that must have had something to do with it as well.
Interesting...this sounds kinda like the rival/model training that was done with the famous Alex the Parrot...

Where the animal is allowed to watch another animal make a choice and see that animal get rewarded/punished.....except of course...your using a table...and thats hilarious.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i definately felt silly....

Interesting...this sounds kinda like the rival/model training that was done with the famous Alex the Parrot...

Where the animal is allowed to watch another animal make a choice and see that animal get rewarded/punished.....except of course...your using a table...and thats hilarious.
i'll have to look that up, is alex the african grey with the huge vocabulary, and cognitive use of language and all of that stuff?

i definately felt idiotic yelling at the table like that:rolleyes:, but again, it seemed to have a good result...he was getting "almond rocha" from the cat litter boxes too, but hasn't for a while, i'm thinking that if he does try again, i'll have to beat the living daylights outta those litter boxes...we'll see:)

a person with a search and rescue dog told me that they use something similar to this when training the dogs so that they don't track the wrong scent, like a rabbit or something. i thought it would be interesting to try. i have also noticed that when clover is in a new situation, he will watch other dogs before he really does much, like swimming to fetch, he would go and get a stick if he could walk out to it, but wasn't really into swimming until he saw another dog do it, then he tried but still wasn't comfortable until i waded out in the water with him. or, if another dog is corrected for something, clover will avoid it. pretty smart.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
i'll have to look that up, is alex the african grey with the huge vocabulary, and cognitive use of language and all of that stuff?

i definately felt idiotic yelling at the table like that:rolleyes:, but again, it seemed to have a good result...he was getting "almond rocha" from the cat litter boxes too, but hasn't for a while, i'm thinking that if he does try again, i'll have to beat the living daylights outta those litter boxes...we'll see:)

a person with a search and rescue dog told me that they use something similar to this when training the dogs so that they don't track the wrong scent, like a rabbit or something. i thought it would be interesting to try. i have also noticed that when clover is in a new situation, he will watch other dogs before he really does much, like swimming to fetch, he would go and get a stick if he could walk out to it, but wasn't really into swimming until he saw another dog do it, then he tried but still wasn't comfortable until i waded out in the water with him. or, if another dog is corrected for something, clover will avoid it. pretty smart.

Yep thats the guy! I love Alex

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts