Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure what breed my dog is. Help?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  TruckersMom 
#1 ·
I'm sure he's a mix. Some are guessing at least 30% of German Shepherd because of the brown/black coat pattern but I'm not entirely sure myself. So I'm going to need a little help from the experts here :)

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
the head makes me think of shar pei somehow...a few of theSchäfixShar-pei mixes I've seen online looked a bit similiar.
the blue tongue can happen also with other Asian and spitzbreeds not only chow chow.

Reactions: purplesully
#6 ·
I did some research on blue-tongued/black-tongued dogs and found out that chows are NOT the only breed that has it, even though people often think so. Other breeds that CAN have either a fully blue tongue or spotted tongues without being any chow at all are:

Airedale
Akita (American)
Akita Inu (Japanese)
Alaskan Malamute
Australian Cattle Dog
Australian Shepherd
Belgian Malinois
Belgian Sheepdog
Belgian Tervuren
Bichon Frise
Black Russian Terrier
Bouvier de Flandres
Bull Mastiff
Cairn Terrier
Chinese Shar-Pei
Chow Chow
Cocker Spaniel
Collie
Dalmatian
Doberman Pinscher
English Setter
Eurasier
Fila Brasileiro
Flat-coated Retriever
German Shepherd
Golden Retriever
Gordon Setter
Great Pyrenees
Irish Setter
Kai Ken
Keeshond
Kerry Blue Terrier
Korean Jindo
Labrador Retriever
Maltese
Mastiff
Miniature Shar-Pei
Mountain Cur
Newfoundland
Phu Quoc Ridgeback Dog
Pomeranian
Pug
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Rottweiler
Shiba Inu
Shiloh Shepherd
Siberian Husky
Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier
Thai Ridgeback
Tibetan Mastiff

So that definitely opens up our breed possibilities a whole lot more. It's easy to see the shepherd in there.. but now that Shibas are on the possibility list too, what about a mix of one of those? He looks to be a smaller dog, maybe 30-40 pounds?

#11 ·
coloring makes me think GSD, but overall structure combined with color makes me think the dog is at most 25% GSD. You could have a lot of different things mixed in, but strucuturally and how the dog holds his tail, it makes me think spitz-type (sled dog, japanese dogs, etc)

It might be fun for you to do one of those doggie genetic tests, just take the results with a grain of salt.

All the tests actually go thorugh the same database, so no need to go to the vet, just buy whichever one is cheapest on amazon or whatever.

#12 ·
That is a good idea! but unfortunately I live in a small area in Malaysia, and ordering something from Malaysia sometimes takes a month for me to receive my orders, and especially longer when I ship something back, but I'll see if I can something similar here. Thank you!

#14 ·
Jindo maybe(Head and tail shape/body stance) and German Shepherd

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.