Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thing is, I actually really like my current vet. She’s a country vet, so she’s not the “hippest” vet around, but she knows her stuff and is very good at what she does. She doesn’t push unnecessary procedures, but our animals get great care with her.

The problem is her office. It’s really poorly managed. She’s got about 10 vet assistants or techs running around, one exam room, and no sense of order. I’ve seen people come in to buy food and get asked five different times if they’ve been helped and what they need, before the sixth person finally decides they can ring them up. We took our terrier mix in to get her nails cut and waited 45 minutes before a tech decided they were, in fact, qualified to cut nails and did it (then charged $18 for the procedure – we quickly decided to go to a groomer instead).

It’s also nearly impossible to get an appointment. Lexy has been having some issues with her joints and an irritation on her paw. She’s been in once; when I called for that appointment they told me that they were booked for a week solid on appointments and that I could drop her off and they’d try to “work her in”. She acted like her paw was hurting over the weekend so I called again and got the same answer – so she was dropped off this morning.

If it’s something like vaccinations, I honestly don’t care if I have to wait a week or two. And there’s a fantastic vet school in the area, so plenty of vets and a vet hospital – so should an emergency crop up, the support is there (our vet has always been great at seeing our dogs in an emergency anyway, and since her techs aren’t around it’s cheaper because the techs tend to add on extra fees). But if my dog is feeling under the weather, I don’t really want to wait several days to get him/her seen but it’s not really an emergency either. Most of the time we get “worked in” which equates to an hour wait which is frustrating to all involved.

So, what would you do? Stay or go? If she had a better managed office, or more exam rooms, or a block of time during the day just for people who needed their dogs seen that day (as opposed to scheduled days in advance) I think it would go a lot smoother. But as good as she is, I’m always concerned about not being seen.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Maybe you could still keep her but also have a second vet you like. In the sense that you can use her for basics and things that can wait but use another vet for things that need to be attented to immediately. And since it seems like its hard to get a appointment when you need it I think its a good idea to find another vet you like regardless of what you decide in case one of your dogs really needs to see a vet (but not a emergency) and she is unavailable to see them.

I kind of know how you feel. At the moment personally we take Sawyer to a very small local vets. They only have 2 exam rooms. Last time we went to have his eye looked at we had to wait in our car (they didn't want other pets to get it if it was pink eye) for over an hour, because it was a busy day for them.

My suggestion for now is to keep her as a vet but do something shopping around at other vets. That way weather or not you decided to stay with her, you always have another option if one of your dogs needs to be seen preferably sooner rather then latter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have two vets for that very reason. I use one for just vaccinations, annual exams. And I use my other vet for medical issues, or emergencies that crop up because they will ALWAYS get me right in. They are also much more advanced as far as equipment/diagnostics than the vet I use for vaccines. I'm also sure it helps that with having 4 dogs, I have probably put their unborn grand children through college LOL :)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I have two vets, too, just for this reason. I like them both equally, so I call both and whomever has the sooner appointment wins. They both know this and are cool with it, or they don't feel like arguing with me about it.

I have left doctors because of staffing issues. No matter how good the doctor is, that doesn't help me if I can't ever get through to them because their receptionist/nurse/PA is awful.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Being near a vet school, it shouldn't be hard to pick up a second vet (I could even go to the actual vet school if I wanted to). It's just a lot of names to sort through, but will be worth it in the end.

It's funny, there's a vet around here that deals strictly with behavioral cases that the training school I'm with refers to; we haven't decided if Chisum needs medication yet but if he does - he could have three vets catering to his whims....talk about high maintenance!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts