Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my fur baby has really dry skin and bad dandruff in the winter. I wanted to try Head And Shoulders but I'm not sure if it's safe for her. Can anyone help me out? Is it safe for dogs? If not what other products could I use to help this issue?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Hi, my fur baby has really dry skin and bad dandruff in the winter. I wanted to try Head And Shoulders but I'm not sure if it's safe for her. Can anyone help me out? Is it safe for dogs? If not what other products could I use to help this issue?
No, dry skin comes from the inside. I would add something like cold pressed coconut oil to her food. What do you feed. I know when I fed the lamb variety of wellness my dogs got really dry skin.
The Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Dogs
Bathing actually dries the oil out of the skin and coat so I would look for a shampoo that does not contain soap or detergent.. They clean without drying.
Amazon.com : Kelco 50:1 Filthy Animal Shampoo, 11 oz. : Pet Deodorizing Shampoos : Pet Supplies

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eukanuba is what I feed her and it usually only gets dry in the winter. But thank you I will defiantly be looking for coconut oils.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I add an omega 3 supplement to Samantha's food every day. Without it she is an itchy mess, with it hardly ever scratches. There are many on the market, we use the liquid with a squirt attachment, very easy to use.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Eukanuba is what I feed her and it usually only gets dry in the winter. But thank you I will defiantly be looking for coconut oils.
You might want to upgrade her food to something with a little more real meat in it. You might also consider leaving out all the grains. Eukanuba is very low quality. Something without byproducts would be a better choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I originally started feeding her this because I was told that it was high quality. But I'm sure I'll have no problem finding something with more real meat and better ingredients. At my local vet's office there are a few other brands that they sell (which is where I currently buy her food).

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Okay, I originally started feeding her this because I was told that it was high quality. But I'm sure I'll have no problem finding something with more real meat and better ingredients. At my local vet's office there are a few other brands that they sell (which is where I currently buy her food).

I would not buy from the vets office. They usually only carry the worst brands number one being science diet. Check out a Petsmart Petco or an independent pet store. You can go to a site like this to get info on healthier choices.
Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

·
Registered
165 Posts
Head and shoulders has sulfates and parabens in it so it's probably not best for your dog's skin. Dog's tend to have quite sensitive skin so keeping things soap and chemical free is typically best. Make sure you're not bathing more then monthly (although more frequent brief rinses to get mud/dirt off is fine, just not shampooing which gets rid of the oils).

Coconut oil or an omega-3 supplement (e.g. fish oil) is a great idea. It's likely that in the winter your pup needs to eat more oils to keep her skin flake-free because of dry air around her.

My girl loves to just lick coconut oil off the spoon or I freeze it in ice cube trays and dole it out that way. Fish oil can just be spooned into the food -- my old dog loved it. I haven't given it to my current girl as she has enough fish oils and omega-3's in her food, the coconut oil is a treat for her because she loves it so much, not because of health reasons. She gets only about 1 tbsp a few times a week (and she weights 40 lbs so could have up to 4 daily).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.