Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(
I moved from a large house to an apt last year. My high energy dog has been confined to 3+ rooms. It's now over 100* daily so we are confined inside most of the day.

I started bringing him to my dog sitter a few days a week. He's either there while I run errands or overnights. They love him to pieces. He has a bold funny personality that makes us laugh a lot. They also play play play with him and take him for long walks. They have a big house which allows him to literally run around the house in circles with his toys, hit the dog door running to bark at the birds and play Frisbee on the cul de sac.

When I go to pick him up he walks back in the house. I can't say I blame him. I feel like my child won't come out of the pool and wants 5 more minutes. We are stuck in an apt until the housing market turns around. I keep telling myself it's because they are the 'fun' house. We have to bribe him with food to get him in the car. I'm starting to take it personally.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks...
Robin and Buddy the Bambino K9

·
Registered
564 Posts
You don’t need a big house or yard to have a fun time. If you feel like you’re dog is disconnected to you I would work on the bond and relationship. A dog will ”choose” the person that they have the strongest connection to. Creating a good bond is all about spending time and engagement in your dog. Long walks, adventures, training, playtime, cuddles and all in all interaction.

If it’s too hot in the day you can make sure to spend time outdoors early in the morning or late in the evening. During the day you can do different activities inside that’s not very physically demanding. This can be everything from trick training to obedience or Nosework etc. On the bright side you should be happy you’ve found this good of a dog sitter :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been trying more lately. We always walk in the mornings and he's full of energy. Evenings we don't even go off property anymore. It's still 102+ around 7 p.m. I'm outside city limits with no sidewalks and a lot of critters. We stay in the complex. We play on and off in the apartment. We go to bed late so sometimes he sleeps a lot and other days we play and wrestle.
He has always liked my friends. They would come by and walk him at night if I was busy. They also spoil him with people food. There's two of them and one of me. She plays with him while he runs the errands and visa versa. I feel if I had a house again he would be outside running and chasing lizards like before and we would be tossing the Frisbee every morning. Sigh............I guess I need to try harder. Thanks for your insight. R and B

·
Registered
564 Posts
For how long do you usually walk? Do you try to engage a lot during the walks and make it more interesting and fun for the dog? There’s a big difference of just simply walking your dog and to really engage and interact with the dog while walking. 7 pm is still quite early, isn’t quite significantly cooler by maybe 9-10 pm?

If you’re outside city limits shouldn’t that mean that you live near better walking areas, like closer to nature? Or have I misunderstood? Sorry I don’t know what critters are.

Personally I don’t think that a bigger house or property is the solution but rather to work on your relationship.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the lengthy delay. Your response went to an email I rarely use. I'll fix that.

We walk for only about 30-45 min in the morning. Most days our walks are fun and I look forward to them. It's in the low 80s in the morning so we get out the door around 05:45. I can hold a complete conversation with him lol and I carry dog treats. We have been playing more in the apt. When he drops the Frisbee at my fee I drop what I'm doing and we play. Other days like today he spent a good part of our morning walk stopping, looking behind, stopping looking in the Arroyo, stopping because he hears people talking a road away, stopping listening etc, I've learned that when he stops its usually because something's out there but today was a bit much.

It's still 100* or a tad less after 9pm but outside city limits = no street lights. I can't take the chance of running in the coyotes or Javalina in the dark. We walk a short walk before 8pm and stick to the apt complex.

Outside city limits is lovely but NO sidewalks, no parks here. We stopped walking in the Arroyo or any desert area due to snake season. The desert, nature and critters are around us. At the house he would hit the dog door running day or night. Bark at birds......chase lizards, play ball. I miss the house.

Well I've babbled long enough. That's all the news that fit to print.
R and B

1 - 5 of 5 Posts