Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 7mo beagle hound mix. he weighs 50 lbs and has gained 7lbs since ive recued him. although he did have worms, which ive treated, i feel he should gain more weight. he gets wellness for puppys. 1 1/4 cup in the a.m., 2 cups in the p.m. also in the p.m. i add 1 tbl spoon diatomacous earth. he gets 45 min walks in the woods 4 or 5 days a week(weather) and these are high energy walks, i.e. runs up hill, down hill, jumping etc. anyway when i feed him its like he could eat twice as much as i give him. is it time to transition to adult food or just add more of what he has now? btw his stools seem loose and light most of the time. any help please.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I would feed puppy food until the dog has both stopped growing and filled out a bit. Dog food is lower in calories, so switching would be less food.

Is it possible for you to feed 3x a day? And I'd make it more congruent-
1/4 cup in the a.m., 2 cups in the p.m
What about 1.25 cups twice a day, or .75/1 cup three times a day?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. just to clear it up, i give him one and one quarter cups in the a.m and 2 cups in the p.m. i just feel he needs more which then may result in looser stools

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a shepherd mix that I could not keep weight on. try increasing his food to 2 cups 2 times a day. If hes still hungry give him another cup at lunch. I got this advice from the vet where I work, and in a month he's gained 10 lbs and is at a healthy weight. She basically told me if he's hungry let him eat, just be watchful of not too much at once, I wouldn't feed more the 2 1/2 cups at a sitting.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I don't know if it's possible with your dog, but we free feed. I know their are sometimes when you just can't (obeisity or dogs that will just eat until they puke) but that way I know Mikey is getting enough food, or at least as much as he wants.

The way I've introduced Mikey and my rabbits (who all were not free fed previously) was let them scoff down their food and then refill the bowl. If they were to eat the whole bowl again, I'd fill again-they *never* even continued eating at the first refill.

They just were like 'oh this stays full' so they all just eat when they please and so far no fatties at my house. ;)

You could give that a try-just depends, like I've said-you'll never get certain breeds (like labs) on free feed.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Heheh some dogs totally will eat anything, and quick!

Sorry f111-I totally misread and thought you were doing .25 cups in the am-now I see 1.25 ;)

More food does not link to loose poopies. Changes in feeding may certainly do that especially with a sensitive tummy.
If you are sure he's underweight, I'd add more food. Underweight you can see ribs. Ideal weight you can feel them. Although a bit more complicated, here's a chart for you to see.

But yes-if he's under, I'd increase the amount. And do it slowly so that poop upsets are a minimum :)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The way I've introduced Mikey and my rabbits (who all were not free fed previously) was let them scoff down their food and then refill the bowl. If they were to eat the whole bowl again, I'd fill again-they *never* even continued eating at the first refill.

They just were like 'oh this stays full' so they all just eat when they please and so far no fatties at my house. ;)

You could give that a try-just depends, like I've said-you'll never get certain breeds (like labs) on free feed.
Do you have problems with potty breaks? I mean if you free feed it seems like it would be harder to predict and keep track of when the dog needs to go out? I have never free fed but when I read your post it made me curious.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
oh dear, by that estimate tegan is overweight :( haha

Seriously I like the animal to be above ideal and that's because of illness. If they have no fat reserves, it's waaaay harder to pull them through. So although obesity is no good (same health issues as we have!) a little chub is good in my opinion :)

Do you have problems with potty breaks? I mean if you free feed it seems like it would be harder to predict and keep track of when the dog needs to go out? I have never free fed but when I read your post it made me curious.
Actually not at all. The bunnies of course have access to the litter all the time and should be pooping all day ;) they're grazers and should eat/poop all day :)

But with dogs-we've always free fed our dogs. Mikey has had two accidents since May and they were both emergencies. Once he had VERY loose poops in the office (MY SO's territory-good boy Mikey! lol) you could tell from the poops he had no time to spare and we weren't upset at all. Still not sure why-but he definitely had an upset tummy.
And then on Friday night he yacked in the kitchen. We were home and he didn't ask out-probably an emergency puke as well.
At any rate those two little upsets were not normal at all :)

With free feeding with him and our other dogs (we've always free fed and never had accidents or fat pups!) they really eat twice a day anyways rather then graze. Mikey actually barely eats, except late at night, and after the dog park. So really he eats 1-2 times a day. I just really like free feeding because
1) I know he's not hungry
2) He doesn't gulp or choke down his food in a hurry ever
3) We work odd hours sometimes and having to feed at a certain time would be a pain-his bowl is always full and he can eat how much and when he pleases :)

So basically though he can eat whenever he wants, he still toilets in the am and then goes out several times in the evening to play/eliminate.

It won't work for all but I see many benefits and prefer to do it :)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Hmm...that is interesting I have never even considered free feeding.

And then on Friday night he yacked in the kitchen. We were home and he didn't ask out-probably an emergency puke as well.
At any rate those two little upsets were not normal at all :)
Are you saying Mikey lets you know when he needs to throw up so you can take him outside!?! If so, that is amazing

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Are you saying Mikey lets you know when he needs to throw up so you can take him outside!?! If so, that is amazing
Naw that's the only time he has thrown up...but our dogs have always asked out to puke. If we weren't home, they'd puke right by the door... My parents dog does ask out to puke though!! She's a husky-very vocal-and will scream at the door asking out to puke...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts