Registered
18,782 Posts
cool we can blame you for stuff now ;)

more than we already do I mean.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
This is awesome!!!

Guys what do you say we start a 'tracking in progress' thread or soemthing where we can all post updates success/failures on our journey of training this? I think that would be fun to all train together sort of :) :)

Then SH you can tell us what we are doing wrong and we can blame you for not telling us how to do it right?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This is awesome!!!

Guys what do you say we start a 'tracking in progress' thread or soemthing where we can all post updates success/failures on our journey of training this? I think that would be fun to all train together sort of :) :)

Then SH you can tell us what we are doing wrong and we can blame you for not telling us how to do it right?

I think I created a monster.:p I'm cool with that. I have taken a break from training mine to make sure Cleo is having a great time and well taken care of.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
We start as soon as Asia goes home-If not thread has started yet-I'll do it then. SH you are official trainer now-if our dogs fail you are in BIG trouble :lolsign:

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
gotta love it when a dude really "get's it" if you know what i mean :p

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have a question, what is your opinion on using treats every so many feet to keep the dog on the track? I have heard both ways, and am not sure. I feel one way this will keep them interested, but also don't like to rely on food.
Edited to say I have a ten week old malinois pup, she is doing good, and I have no plans to compete but will actually use her for SAR (hopefull)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I determine that depending on the dog. Example: Betty the bloodhound doesn't need treats because she locks on a scent just fine. Cleo had to have treats all during training. Missy doesn't even stay on track with treats.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Oh... I could use this information!!! I trained our 2 dogs to "Search" in which Lazy runs around in a circle, nose on the ground attempting to find something... Whisky is better now, she knows to sniff then look. But now that I have a real guide, things should work better. Lazy used to be better then Whisky, back in the day when I was with him everyday training on this, I think he just forgot ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
Oh wow! Thanks a bunch!!! Seriously, you did a great job explaing everything!

I do a lot of hiding treats and hide-and-seek (finding me or hubby) with my guys. Roxy is good but Penny is REALLY good.
Now I am just dying to start working with her!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you for posting this thread. With dogs that are not much into playing (like my maltese) getting every day to be exciting is difficult. Having something like this to be a guide is excellent.

Exercise and play are very important for all breeds of dogs. Even those who are "couch potatoes" and just loves to sleep. As responsible owners, we need to exercise our dogs :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hope I'm not tramping on any toes here, but thought I'd post how I taught my dogs to track. I teach my dogs for a very specific purpose - we trial under ANKC rules (Australian kennel club) and I train my dogs to pass tests under these rules.

These rules ask the dog to follow scent over the ground - the purpose is to follow the path the person took exactly, not to find the person directly. (i.e. the dog needs to ground scent, not air scent)

One of the big cues for our dogs is the start flag, a tracking harness, and a long line. All these things say to the dog, "We want you to use your nose now." However, if my dog didn't have some of these cues, they'd probably still track. These cues at the beginning of a track say loudly and clearly, "You are tracking now" - it's a great help!

To begin training, I put my dog on harness and put a start flag in the ground. Our cues start early!
Then I got a friend to hold something my dog really likes. Clover is just nuts about tennis balls, so this was an obvious choice, but I'm also helping people train their dogs using tasty sausage, etc. I get my friend to show the dog the tennis ball/food/whatever and then walk away, only about 5 metres, and hide behind a tree. The dog watches this happen, and then we simply follow the path the friend went.

From here, it is simply a matter of increasing distance and complexity. Longer courses, courses with distractions (e.g. cross tracks), courses with corners, steep slopes, etc.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I hope I'm not tramping on any toes here.
Not at all.;) It will show people that there are different ways to train the same end result. I developed my procedure due to my schedule. That way I can work them while doing chores around the house. It cuts down on time spent running scent lines. Lately, Time is a thing I have little of.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I can't see the video explaining the Recover cue.

It asks for a password. I tried mine (thinking it wanted me to log into photobucket) but that didn't work.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I can't see the video explaining the Recover cue.

It asks for a password. I tried mine (thinking it wanted me to log into photobucket) but that didn't work.
It seems to be missing. Let me find it and repost it for ya.;)

·
Registered
620 Posts

Thanks!

Oh, a question - I plan to name this "search" since "Find it" means that he's to dig it out and get it and in this exercise I just want him to indicate and wait for further direction/sit still near it.

Should I mark and reward RIGHT as he noses the location while he's sniffing around feverishly to find it? (say I put it under some blankets, something he's already familiar with)

What way would you suggest teaching the dog to, basically, abort the rest of the chain he knows to do (the dig it out and grab and retrieve it portion)? My guess is marking earlier but you've done this in reality, so I'm interested in your thoughts.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I mark and reward as they nose it when playing a game inside with them. When running a scent line (depending on their level) they receive treats along the track, and several at the end of the line. I personally feel that you should control the rewards given and not let them dig in to get the treats.

In essence you want your dog to understand that he/she will be rewarded for the effort and not have to go after the one he smells. I also suggest teaching the leave it command, especially if you are working with any type of scenthound. I keep a trainer treat bag in the frig for training, and am able to drop a piece of meat on the floor without the dogs going after it. All that is needed is the word Leave it. This also helps with Missy's fetish for Toilet paper rolls.

Ok, extremely tired ATM so I hope that made some sense, lol.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
nosework

i thought these were good ideas for some basic nosework (scenting) activities...haven't ever tried any nosework myself (yet ;)) but plan on working on this stuff soon :)

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.