Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, everyone.

This is my first post after doing quite bit of reading throughout this community.
I adopted a 5-month old lab mix (might be pit or dane) from a foster last week before going to the rescue. He is great with me. Can sit, lay down, and can come most of the time (we're still working on it!). The foster had two other dogs who all of which got along with fine.

We've had one play date with my friend's 2-year-old shepherd yesterday and I'm slightly confused on how it went. We started off with a 25-minute walk with the dogs about 10-15' apart. They definitely did the stare down to figure each other out and the shepherd was very friendly and calm. My dog however, would lunge and start to growl at the other dog who would then do the same. I did my best to keep the leash loose while walking and same while they were getting close, but I nervously guided my dog away. They would then walk fine and even be in the same area chewing on sticks. Every now and then they would growl and lunge. My dog did do a play move with his rear in the air with front end on the ground. But neither of us felt comfortable unleashing them or letting them continue their aggressive play.

And while at the vet he was the same way. Totally fine with an older dog a few feet from him, but when a yellow lab entered he went nuts. We had to take him to a room for me to fill out the paperwork. Even treats to get his mind off the other dog barely worked.

My two labs in the past were fine. Never had to worry with other dogs. The foster mother of this dog keeps telling me they just need to say hi and sort it out. I feel if I let them sort it out, my dog is going to attack or bite the other dog.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you notice any tail wagging? Usually when they are playing they can get over excited and a little bit rougher but if their tails are wagging it's usually a good indication that its all in fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We just got back from the dog park and he was great. I was super nervous, but let him in and he met his two neighbor dogs again and had a blast. He was super friendly, responded well to his name, and came when asked.

Whew.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We just got back from the dog park and he was great. I was super nervous, but let him in and he met his two neighbor dogs again and had a blast. He was super friendly, responded well to his name, and came when asked.

Whew.
lol Dogs look scary when they play but it's always good to be cautious. I had to flat out tell my neighbor to keep her dog away from mine. He is very friendly to me and other dogs but he does not like my dog. She was constantly saying "He's friendly" but he was clearly not with her after a few greetings, and she was only small at the time. Grabbing our leash and shaking it, snapping at her face and alpha rolling and pinning, tail on guard, severely growling showing all teeth. I don't blame the dog as they don't like all other dogs but I had to step in. The owner still insisted he was usually friendly and I just said, yes but he doesn't like her. I'm not worried about what people think of me either if I have to make that educated decision in being protective:) She would have still approached us till this day if I didn't speak up and Lucy would have gotten hurt. I think you did great at giving it time and being cautious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts