Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this probably sounds like a dumb question, but I’ve never had a young dog or an energetic dog before. So this could be completely normal and I’m being paranoid (hopefully that’s the case).
We have a one year old pit bull/Australian Shepherd mix. She is extremely high energy, but I started realizing that it doesn’t take much to make her tired. After a 15 minute walk, she comes home panting and naps right away. After 10 minutes of playing ball outside she’s panting like crazy and immediately comes in and takes a nap.
This seems to contradict what I’ve heard about high energy dogs...that a 30 minute walk won’t make them tired, and they need at least two hours of exercise a day.

My main concern is the panting. Now that it’s starting to get warmer I’ve noticed it more. But it seems excessive. For example, we were just out in the yard in 65 degree weather for less than 15 minutes. She was playing ball the whole time so she was running hard, but I took her in after that 15 minutes because of the panting (and it was obvious she was getting tired). As soon as we got inside she drank her water and practically dropped on the hard wood floor and continued panting hard for about 15 minutes.

I’m very vigilant to when she seems to be getting to warm/tired and immediately take her inside and get her water, since my first worry is overheating. But my other concern is an underlying condition. My other dog has a heart murmur so I know that there are things to look out for when he’s doing any form of exercise. But he is extremely low energy, so it has never really been a problem. But I guess with my younger pup I’m concerned that her heavy panting is due to some underlying condition such as that.

We go to the vet in June for her yearly exam and I plan to bring this up, but I just wanted to get some feedback now, more so for some peace of mind. I know it’s impossible to tell if she has an underlying condition just from these vague details, but if anyone is able to share any experience with young, high energy pups and whether or not the tiredness/hard panting is cause for concern? Or if I’m just being totally paranoid? Haha

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
I wondered heart before I read that far in your post, I hope we are wrong and it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I too thought of possible heart issues, but it could be so many things, like allergies or????, speculating is probably dangerous. It certainly warrants a visit to the Vet, if she were mine, I don't think I would wait a month.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts