Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holly is ten weeks old now, just wondering is it normal for puppies not to want affection? If I try to pet her head all she does is bite me :confused:
It's really hard to praise her for anything because when you put down your hand to pet she just chews on it and jumps up and snaps at your face. The more I say 'Holly no' the worst she gets and sometimes starts growling and barking because she gets excited. She also constantly bites my older dog and if we walk past her she grabs on to your ankle or leg.

Is this normal puppy behaviour?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Is she 'rough housing' with you? i.e. playing roughly like she would with another pup or dog?

Is she doing this aggressively or fearfully?

If she's just playing-that's totally normal. Mikey bites a lot when we play rough with him. But he wants affections when he's tired out. So when your pup is tired out is when you should approach for cuddles.

But if she's going this aggressively or fearfully-that's a whole other ball of wax.

What's your impression? Fear, angry, playful?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I agree she probably thinks its a game. Try pulling away from her and turning away or even walking away when she starts doing it instead of saying NO.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys she seems to do it out of excitment, glad it's normal :)
When you walk away she chases after you and grab your ankle or pants and if you push her away she comes back and bites, hard! :)

I guess she'll grow out of it

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Thanks guys she seems to do it out of excitment, glad it's normal :)
When you walk away she chases after you and grab your ankle or pants and if you push her away she comes back and bites, hard! :)

I guess she'll grow out of it
usually, not;)...you really have to teach her not to. the best thing is to avoid rewarding the behavior....pushing her away sounds like it is a reward for her, turning away and ignoring her...no attention at all, until she stops does not reward her if she is chasing you and biting the pants, stop moving, but don't say anything or make eye contact, hold still she will lose interest, then you can give her attention...you can also try to re-direct her energy to a toy.:) make sense?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
557 Posts
Well I am afraid I ran into this before with fosters I have had.
The trick is to find out what form of affection they understand. Could be pet under the chin, could be avoid eye glances but pet on the rump, could be pet on the belly only..
Its like people- we like affection in certain ways- a touch that is not dominant but understood. Just like some people are huggers and others are not- same principle.
Try different things- and note reaction- the one positive- use that one. I have had fosters that only words is accepted, I have had others that pet in certain places is- . Remember to only use the one that works and that builds trust. With trust- other things can show up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts