Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

i just wanted to ask a few questions that i have been needing answers to for quite some while now and just didn't know where to find them. I have two dogs;

#1: Maltese x Chihuahua
#2: Maltese x Terrier.

Behaviours that i THINK are unhealthy;

- When i am sitting watching tv or something dog #2 will come up to me and tap me and 'dig' at me with her paw until i pat her.

- When dog #1 is sitting with me dog #2 will come up and play with dog #1 until she gets off of the couch, then most times dog number #2 will hop back into the spot she has moved the other dog from.

- dog #1 when we are out walking (she walks very well no problems there) but the minute she see's any one else walking tour way she goes into a frenzy mode and absolutely growls and barks until you think she's going to choke herself...
we have tried bringing out treats and making her focus on us when we see someone to take her attention away from the stress but that does not stop her. It's like she is super scared and trying to ward others off (even big dogs 10x bigger)

theres a few more issues but i will start here for now, if anyone could please help me! Thanks

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Welcome to Dog Forum! This is a great place for advice. :)

Behaviours that i THINK are unhealthy;

- When i am sitting watching tv or something dog #2 will come up to me and tap me and 'dig' at me with her paw until i pat her.
It sounds as though she's been reinforced for this behavior: she taps and digs, you pet. It's not abnormal, but you could teach her a better way to solicit attention. Ignore what she's doing, but ask for a sit or down, reinforce with pets. For me, I don't necessarily care if my dogs nudge or paw me for attention, but I do make sure they don't do it if I have something in my hands.

- When dog #1 is sitting with me dog #2 will come up and play with dog #1 until she gets off of the couch, then most times dog number #2 will hop back into the spot she has moved the other dog from.
Dog #2 sounds smart. Again, you could teach dog #2 to sit in a specific spot (perhaps someplace close to you, but not in dog #1's spot).

- dog #1 when we are out walking (she walks very well no problems there) but the minute she see's any one else walking tour way she goes into a frenzy mode and absolutely growls and barks until you think she's going to choke herself...
we have tried bringing out treats and making her focus on us when we see someone to take her attention away from the stress but that does not stop her. It's like she is super scared and trying to ward others off (even big dogs 10x bigger)
I'm pretty sure there's a link for leash frustration / reactive dogs in the sticky section. Also, check out Care for Reactive Dogs. It's a nice protocol with instructions for very beginning stages to more advanced. I have two reactive dogs :( (one a frustrated / over excited greeter and one fearful); I know it's a difficult situation. You're on the right track, but the CARE site should offer more details to help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts