Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I'm an avid animal lover. I volunteer with several animal shelters and rescues as a photographer, trainer and foster parent.

I myself have two lovable tripod mutts who are both rescues. Watson and Sherley (short for Sherlock) and they are our world! (We also have rats, guinea pigs and an 11 year old dog loving orange tabby cat)

We believe Watson is definitely Rat Terrier, but not sure about the rest. Possibly french bull dog? Sherley is probably Chihuahua and American Toy Eskimo. Both are sweet loving pups who came from less than ideal circumstances but despite that, they show such a capacity for love and loyalty.

When I met Watson I was photographing an event at a shelter I had never worked with before. He was in a back corner viewing room and one of the volunteers told me he was pretty shy, and it might be difficult getting a picture. I entered the room sat down, and much to everyones surprise he came right up to me, sat on my lap and rested his head on my shoulder. I looked at his paperwork and saw his euthanization date was in 2 days.

I wasn't planning on bringing home a dog that day, as we wanted to look for one together, BUT I DID! I called my significant other, who was still at work and I said "I got a dog... and he has 3 legs!" Needless to say Kyle thought I was joking! It hasn't quite been a year yet, and we have loved every minute of it!

Soon after getting Watson we realized he had some major separation anxiety. I had been fostering on and off for 11 years and decided to foster dogs again to help Watson with his anxiety. We fostered several dogs, and they were great, we found them wonderful homes, but none of them were quite right for Watson.

In comes Sherley who isn't adoptable due to some health issues including a leg injury, that eventually resulted in amputation at UC Davis. We fostered Sherley for a total of 3 months including getting rid of her kennel cough, working on her broken teeth, extracting a chicken bone from her jaw and her back leg amputation. When it was time to start looking for a forever home, I realized how picky I was. I kept saying, "she needs a home that has 'this, this & that' and nothing less" it made me see that we wanted to keep Sherley! Watson loved her, she loved Watson (and she was quite afraid of most dogs) and it was a perfect fit!

Needless to say our family has grown by six legs since Oct '13!

Watson and Sherley

Watson, Tigi the cat, and Sherley

Watson and Tigi

Sherley actually listening to a command at the dogpark

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I absolutely adored your story, and I'm in love with your dogs. :) Great pics, they are just so adorable! I love tripaweds. :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your story is inspiring. I am so glad for people like you who will open their homes to pups with special needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts