Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a dog that s been living in my yard for >5 years and i want to clean her up and take it indoors. she is dirty has fleas and etc all she got from my parents is locked in a 10x10 meters part of the yard and fed so she dosen t trust me or anyone. how do i start

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'd start by hiring a trainer or behaviourist, this is a long road and will likely be very frustrating at times.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Start as Chas has said by finding a trainer or behaviorist. Make sure whomever you hire uses positive reinforcement and does not use outdated dominance based methods.

In the meantime arm yourself with some really high value treats like real chicken, beef, hotdogs, cheese, or something like that, and whenever you walk past the kennel toss her some. At first pause, toss her the treat, then keep walking, slowly as you notice she's getting happy to see you keep make pauses a bit longer, until she's used to you standing there tossing her the treats. What you are teaching her is that you are a source of great things happening to her. Once she's good with you staying by her kennel you can try going in and with your side or back to her let her check you out.

If you want to get her out fast, and she will not let you get a collar and leash on her without transforming into a bucking bronco, ask your vet about a tranquilizer, hide it in a very tasty treat and when she's knocked out get her to the vet for a check-up, bath, and flea treatment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts