Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3yo dog got hit by a car mid august 2020 and broke his front right leg (radius and ulna) it was a severe compound fracture and was casted for 7 weeks, splinted for 1 and now the cast is off, we got our final x-rays and were shocked when the vet told us the bone did not regenerate. It’s called a fibrous non union. He has scar tissue and other fibers holding the bones together, but not bone. The vet suggested that we try and get him to bear weight on it as much as possible saying that, similarly to humans with osteoporosis, weight bearing exercises can help promote bone regeneration. This is incredibly difficult as the dog has not used the leg for 8 weeks and is very very hesitant to put it down. We are doing our best and giving extra calcium supplements. Has anyone been through this? Any suggestions at all?! THANK YOU!!

·
Super Moderator
3,653 Posts
Sorry no - but would things like hydrotherapy help with building lost muscle, which in turn might help her start bearing weight?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying! I have seen a few things about underwater treadmills and such which would probably really help, I would be a bit concerned about the cost (especially if we may have to have surgery anyway) but I’m definitely going to look into it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts