Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two dogs; a 13 month old JRT mix and a 10 year old lab/chow mix. They've worked things out since the Jack came home at 8 weeks old and often play well, even giving new life to the 10 year old.

The JRT mix literally has non stop obsessive energy All Day Long. I could throw a ball for him non stop, and he would just keep chasing it. When I am in the house doing chores, he follows me room to room wanting to play. If I need to do computer work or am on the phone, he is whining for me to play, throw the ball, etc. The lab mix also can be velcro pup, following me around, but usually only when the clock is near the time for a meal or walk. I've stopped walking them the same time every day so they don't get to reliant on the time frame.

It makes it very hard to get things done. I have a small farm, and the dogs don't go off leash due to the number of predators (my conscious choice) but get walked at least one long walk a day, and have fenced in areas in the front and back with ample room. I spend a good amount of time with them, but it's never enough.

I also do some obedience with the JRT and give him a couple treat balls to chase around during the day. Again, nothing seems to be enough.

He is good in his crate when I go out, but will cry if I am home and put him in, unless he has some yummy chew bone.

With winter coming, I'm panicking a bit. We get a lot of snow, so the walk every day is going to dissipate. When its bitter, I can't leave him inside free cause he still chews, even though he has a ton of toys.

I will be working outside the home, and am not worried about crating him, but wonder how long is appropriate?

Also, what will I do when the snow falls and can't walk them as much?

Any chance that with age he will mellow more? (I suspect so...) He does have times when he will chill and hang on his bed for times here and there, but is inconsistent. He loves to try and instigate rough play with the lab mix, who seems to have perked up a bit and actually has fun with him. (She was a rescue who had abuse/neglect issues and literally did not know how to play til he came)

Any advice? Thanks all!

·
Registered
290 Posts
JRTs are super high energy dogs. I know a 17 year old who is finally just wearing down. Terriers are just insane, energy-wise. It's possible she may chill out as she gets older, but not until she's MUCH older...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The whining to play is demanding behavior and I don't let Cosmo do that because as you said - it gets rather annoying! Cosmo will usually leave me alone if I say "off", but I used to crate him when he was restless - especially at night because he barks a lot when he plays, even by himself, and we have sleeping neighbors. I would just crate him while I was on my laptop on the couch next to him and ignore his sad little cries. Eventually he would go to sleep and now all I have to say is "settle" and he will lay down and chillax.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts