Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My big girl pees the bed when she sleeps. We tried estrogen but it didn't work because at that point it was intermittent. Now it occurs several times a week. She doesn't completely soak her bed (usually) but just dribbles. Either way, her bed had to be washed often. Last night I covered it in a garbage bag and then a towel - but that's not going to work. I thought about covering with a bathmat...? Any ideas on how to protect things from her peeing? Also, if you found medications or lifestyle changes that helped - let me know. Right now I stop water two hours before bed and that seems to help.

·
Registered
368 Posts
unclear what you meant by the estrogen not working because it was intermittent. Did you give the Estrogen intermittently? If that is so, of course it didn't work. Have to maintain a constant dose, though sometimes you can get away with a few times a week.... but intermittent treatment with any medications for true urinary incontinence is likely to fail.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unclear what you meant by the estrogen not working because it was intermittent. Did you give the Estrogen intermittently? If that is so, of course it didn't work. Have to maintain a constant dose, though sometimes you can get away with a few times a week.... but intermittent treatment with any medications for true urinary incontinence is likely to fail.
That's not what I meant. I meant the incontinence was intermittent. So two years ago it happened once every other month. Last year once a month. Now several times a week. So when it started happening while on constant estrogen I took her off estrogen to see the difference. There was none.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I second the crib mattress protector. My dog Jersey had incontinence and loved to sleep on my couch at night. The mattress protector allowed me to let her to sleep on the couch and not worry about pee getting on it. The other things you could try is putting some sort of diaper on her, they make them or dogs, or using a pee pad.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Do you remember the form or the name of the Estrogen you used (eg. Premarin, DES, Incurin etc.)? Had you tried Proin (Dextromethorphan) already? Is there any leaking of urine at all during the day as she walks around? I have had a very few rare cases where one the Estrogen analogs did not work, but adding in Proin usually worked then... sure is nicer than having the leaking problem. You might solve the urine protection problem with the above suggestions, but these dogs still tend to get urine scald and urinary tract infections if you do not stop the dribbling.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Do you remember the form or the name of the Estrogen you used (eg. Premarin, DES, Incurin etc.)? Had you tried Proin (Phenylpropanolamine) already? Is there any leaking of urine at all during the day as she walks around? I have had a very few rare cases where one the Estrogen analogs did not work, but adding in Proin usually worked then... sure is nicer than having the leaking problem. You might solve the urine protection problem with the above suggestions, but these dogs still tend to get urine scald and urinary tract infections if you do not stop the dribbling.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She leaks on occasion when walking when she's woken up by leaking while resting. So she stands up and dribbles some while walking to the door.

She was on Incurin. We did the seven days for a week and then every other day. For a while she had no leaks. But then she started leaking on the medicine so I increased it. Still leaking so I started it everyday and she was still leaking intermittently.

She recently had X-rays, full blood panel, and an ultrasound for another issue. All were normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts