Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Our rescued 1 1/2yr old Chorkie, does not give any kind of signal when he needs to go out. He's doing really well with the housetraining. We take him out about every 4 hours and he usually goes. But no matter what I do he won't signal that he needs to go out. I'd read to take him to the door when you know he needs to pee and then just stand there until he does something, whines, barks, scratches etc to notify you that he needs to go out, but it doesn't work. Levi just looks at me and then eventually lays down. I know he needs to go out because I just let him out of the crate where he's been for 8 hours. This morning we stood there for a good 5 minutes and he did nothing. When I finally gave up and took him out he peed and pooped, so I know he needed to go. Help! Would love to get him to ring bells and I have attached some bells by the door which I ring before I open the door hoping he'll get the hint.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You could try teaching him to shake/paw, and then applying that to the bell. Then, whenever he rings the bell, let him go outside.

Also, has he ever peed in the house?
Just a few times the first few days we'd had him. We made sure to clean that up with an enzyme cleaner. He's been really good about not pottying in the house. The rescue we got him from had him with a foster mom who had been working on his potty training.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What could be happening is he has never really really needs to go, and has never felt the need to let you know. I think he would probably come to nudge you, whine, stand near the door, etc. if for some reason you forgot to take him out and he really had to go. I never taught my dogs to ring a bell or give me some sort of signal, but I rely on them to tell me when they need to go, and they do. It's been a long long time since either one of them has peed or pooped in the house.

I could certainly be wrong though. I guess to test it, you could keep him in his crate for a while again, and then let him out and go do your normal thing (computer, book, idk). Watch him. He'll probably tell you somehow that he needs to go out. It doesn't sound like he would just resort to going in the house.

Just curious - why do you want for him to give you a signal when he needs to go? It seems like you don't have any problems with accidents (or not-so-much-accidents) in the house.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious - why do you want for him to give you a signal when he needs to go? It seems like you don't have any problems with accidents (or not-so-much-accidents) in the house.
Mainly because my husband, who works from home, is with Levi during the day and sometimes Mark can get really caught up in his work and lose track of the time (sometimes Mark forgets to eat or go pee himself) :p

Levi doesn't show any signs. The last accident he had, I lost track of him for a minute or two (he's a little guy and very fast, can disappear in the blink of an eye) and he'd gone off an pooped in the dining room.

I think the problem we've got is that the foster mom really didn't formally housebreak him. She left her kitchen door, that went into the back yard, open all the time and he just came and went as he pleased. Since that's not really an option for us (the temps in Oklahoma right now are running in the high 90's-100)right now, I'd like him to tell us. I'll take anything a scratch, a bark, a whine. Running back and forth from us to the door. Just something.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh ok. Then I would try teaching him to shake, and then getting him to 'shake' with the bell. Then open the door every time he rings the bell. Other than that I don't know:confused:

To teach him to shake with you, say 'shake' (or whatever word you want to use), press on his paw until he gets annoyed and lifts it, then hold it and reward him. It seems silly, but it worked with my dogs!

Then, once he's got that down, say shake and point at the bell. Once he paws at the bell, throw a party with treats and praise and open the door.

I hope I helped! Good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
** if he does go in the house, try your best to catch him in the act and scold him right then!

Doing that you run the risk of them refusing to pee in front of you, but sneaking off into another room to pee. If that happens the dog will be much harder to housetrain.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I agree that he might simply not have to go. My boy is a 9.8lb Chi x Dach and he can easily hold his bladder for over 8 hours, yet will happily potty on every single walk I take him on even if the walks are 2 hours apart. It's very rare that he signals me that he needs to go out and potty.

He NEVER signals me that he has to potty in the morning even though it's been 6 to 8 hours since he last went. When I first adopted him I lived where I had a yard and I'd open the door, first thing in the morning to let him out to potty, well he'd go out and lay in the sun on my deck and never go out into the yard and pee.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 4 month pomchi puppy and a older chiuhahua. My older chi has never ever let me know he needs to go outside. I started using bells on the door right from the start with my pomchi. The only time she has ever used them is when I have went outside without her, she will ring them like crazy then. She has never used the bells to let me know she needs to go outside. She does give me more of a signal then my older chi. She will walk towards the stairs or down the stairs when she needs to go out (split level house). I have attached little bells (usually found on cat collars) to her harness so when she is on the move she gets my attention. She is doing very well and has had very few accidents but it would be so much easier if she would ring the bells.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
283 Posts
I agree that he might simply not have to go. My boy is a 9.8lb Chi x Dach and he can easily hold his bladder for over 8 hours, yet will happily potty on every single walk I take him on even if the walks are 2 hours apart. It's very rare that he signals me that he needs to go out and potty.

He NEVER signals me that he has to potty in the morning even though it's been 6 to 8 hours since he last went. When I first adopted him I lived where I had a yard and I'd open the door, first thing in the morning to let him out to potty, well he'd go out and lay in the sun on my deck and never go out into the yard and pee.
Similar experience here.
He holds it overnight. But he pees several times on every walk. Often in the same place on each walk. I think that's more about peemail for others rather than degree of urgency.

It's now 22:30 here. I've opened the back door, walked to the end of the garden, but he just waited inside the door. Gave me that "you silly old phart2 look.

·
Registered
176 Posts
** if he does go in the house, try your best to catch him in the act and scold him right then!
Doing that you run the risk of them refusing to pee in front of you, but sneaking off into another room to pee. If that happens the dog will be much harder to housetrain.
Just putting emphasis on this message. Never scold a puppy for going inside the house. This will also make it harder, because the puppy will think he can't pee outside with the owner present either. Just avoid accidents like the plague in the first place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just putting emphasis on this message. Never scold a puppy for going inside the house. This will also make it harder, because the puppy will think he can't pee outside with the owner present either. Just avoid accidents like the plague in the first place.
Oh. Well I feel dumb now. :eyeroll:What do you do with a dog with a marking problem?

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Sometimes you have to read your dog to find the signs that he needs to go out. The Pin doesn't show any verbal sign that he needs to go out. The leash and collar is left on the floor by the front door - he sniffs the leash and walks away - and if we miss that cue, he doesn't get out. He will repeat the leash sniff and walk away until he gets our attention.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, we definitely think one of Levi's signals is the sniffing around, buuuuut, not always. I guess we'll just keep taking him our regularly and maybe eventually he'll give us a signal.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Some dogs just don't signal or have very subtle signals. My older dog will stare intently or nudge our hands; my younger dog gets rammy and starts looking for trouble. It took a while to associate those behaviors with needing to go out vs wanting attention or to play. And sometimes those behaviors are just wanting attention, play, or something else.

Mostly, though, the dogs go out on a regular schedule. If I thought I would forget or get too caught up in something to remember, I'd set an alarm.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will mention the idea of setting an alarm to my husband. Even thought, right now Levi doesn't pee when Mark does remember to take him out. It's like Levi holds it until I get home. When I take him out he pees and pees and pees. LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts