Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We took our newly-adopted (adult) min pin to the vet because we thought he was choking. Long story short, he was reverse sneezing, and was healthy - but the vet found while looking at him that when the pound had microchipped him, they had done it wrong, and the area was infected.

After removing a roughly 1” x 1” patch of skin on the top of his back, the vet gave us oral antibiotics, and told us NOT to use anything topical on the area. The area did scab, then crack & bleed a few days later though, and I’ve been putting a really small amount of Neosporin on it. My question is: why not treat the area? The vet didn’t seem concerned with the scab scarring, but I’d rather the dog not have a giant patch of missing fur on his back. Am I wrong to treat the area?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Eyyh....I'd phone the vet to ask ;)

We're not vets so we really can't say.
TBH I would be treating topically but if my vet said no....?
They usually don't mind, I'd phone and ask :)

Welcome!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
AH!! I had no idea? In rabbits we can even for punctures-but we're talking superficial punctures by rabbit bite often; But the first aid for buns is totally different -that makes sense :)

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes! Thank you for telling me. The scab is healing really good now, and I won't use any more ointment.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Keep us posted!! :) Also-we LOVE doggies pictures around here *hint hint* :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
lol...honestly I think neo is OK for punctures...but the directions say not too...the vet isn't going to contradict the meds instructions, know what I mean?

With ointment the puncture may not drain correctly. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
557 Posts
The reason your vet said no topical is two fold. Some problems can be caused by a yeast type allergy. The area must stay dry as a yeast infection needs mosture to breathe. Secondly- some neosporin has " pain killers " in it. This can be toxic to dogs.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
CUTE!!! He looks very active :p

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
you aren't supposed to put neosporin, which is petroleum based on anything that get's "inside". it is okay for topical use on superficial wounds, but anything that goes through all the layers of skin is a no no...i'm fuzzy about it, but i asked my vet before...something about the petroleum getting inside and the wound healing around it...the body can't break down the petroleum

and your dog is really cute too...he looks feisty:)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
^^ Totally makes sense Fawkese :)

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Haha! "Active" is an understatement, and we're working on walking without pulling right now. He could definitely be ready for a 5 mile run at any time, and so far we've had to be careful with not letting him overdo exercise, because he doesn't know when to quit, and then gets overheated and has a hard time taking water.

I actually think tattoos blotch with Neosporin because it's designed to pull toxins (ink) out of your skin. Bag Balm (which is also a petroleum jelly) is totally OK to put on tattoos and usually recommended. :p

I'm keeping an eye on the scab right now, because I'm worried about having used Neosporin, but I think it's healing fine. I'm just an overly-worried new mommy!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
"Active" is an understatement
LOL Lucky you!! Now your going to turn into an athelete keeping him busy :p

That's funny about the tattoo/neo ....I don't have a tattoo yet (everyone says they are suprised because I look like I have tattoos??? What does that mean? :p) I have a friend who is apprenticing and have an open inviation for a free tattoo...and still haven't done it yet...I'm wussy!

I've learned TWO really good things in this thread !! :) (no neo on tattoos or punctures heheh totally good stuff-thanks guys!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts