Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this section is okay..

Allie has always been fond of her flirt pole. She loves it. She loves letting me sling her around. It's the only form of exercise she gets, ever. She will play all day. I've played with her alot with it today, but we usually play more. We've played with it for about 4 hours today. She rested for a while. Then she's usually ready to play again right after. Well, I went out to play with her, she didn't even move. She just stared at it and watched it go by. At first I thought she wasn't feeling well, but then she ran up a tree trying to chase a squirell, she chased a tennis ball, and she even spazzed out and ran around the house.

Do you think she's getting tired of it?

I attached a new toy to the end, it didn't make a difference.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Maybe hide the flirt pole for a couple of days and bring it out again later. I know my dogs occasionally burn out on their toys. I try to rotate so it doesn't happen.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good to me. She's going to be pretty bored for a few days. Any ideas on what I can do with her?

Every day we play with the flirt pole, then we play with tennis balls and sticks.

On Wed. and Fri. we go and run agility.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Hmm, maybe instead of the flirtpole go to the park, or do some extra training?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, there are other dogs at the park. And Allie and other dogs don't mix well. So, we try to stay on our property. XD I'll see if I can find some things to train her. Do you have any cool, favorite tricks you have taught your dogs?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mostly the basics. Nothing really fancy.

Sit
Stay
Lay
Come
Fetch
Roll Over
High Five
Shake
Heel
Drop it
Leave it
Get it
Sit Pretty
Dance

Feels like I'm missing afew things.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Hmm. I really like "bow" which I cue as "curtsey" or "tadaaa!"
Also the shame/hide your eyes trick is cute

Oh oh you could play 101 Things to do with a box with her! Then she can make up her own tricks :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ohh! She does to a play bow on command. She also knows "Say your prayers". I'll try to see if she'll hide her eyes. Sounds fun. How did you teach yours to do it?

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
A post-it note on their heads usually does the trick. If the postit comes off you can use tape, but I double it up where only a little sticky stuff is exposed so that when they go to wipe it off it will come off.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very clever! I'llbe sure to try that. She's a fast learner, really smart...she should get it.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to hide some treats for her to find. Dogs are sposse to have a good sense of smell, most all do. All does not. At all, really. She can't even find treats that are right next to her.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
On the flirt pole note... You could try and change out whats on the end. Some weeks we use a "rope octopus" where there is a bunch of ropes at the end, some days we tie a toy that would other wise be thrown out due to shredding...

·
Registered
22,635 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts