Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cali, my year old Airedale suddenly stopped eating one morning a couple of weeks ago. This dog is a food hound and this happened literally overnight. She went 6 full days without eating a single thing. Drinking water normally. A couple of vet visits during that week; barium x-rays, bloodwork, etc. and no blockages or abnormalities at all. Skin good, temp. good. On the 7th day, vet gave her an appetite stimulant and antacid and she finally ate a couple of treats and a small bowl of food. She came home that night and ate a few more little bits. The next morning, she ate her kibble, some treats, and by the end of the day she was eating well. The vet has put her on antacid liquid and anti-depressants which stimulate appetite. Then a full day of eating like a food hound again. Tons of energy, loads of appetite. Apparently, back to normal. fast forward to today, after 2 days of eating, and she won't get out of bed and will not even look at food AGAIN!
It's like a switch going on and off. Absolutely bizarre. $1400 in vet bills and this is where we are now. No answers and no clue as to why this is happening.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Several of mine do this pretty regular. Won't eat one night, then maybe pick the next, then eat like crazy. I don't worry about it with mine for two reasons.

1) They are still normally active
And
2) A healthy dog will always eat. They won't starve themselves.

If your dog is otherwise acting normal, I wouldn't worry. The more meds you start giving, the more you risk messing things up and making it worse. It sounds like all the tests at the vet checked out, so it could just be the fact that dog is a year old now, and unlike natural puppy behavior to eat several times a day, it just isn't needed anymore.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My huskies do this a lot also they will go a day or two without eating not all at once but sometimes just out of no where. I second what naturalfeddogs said as long as the dog is acting normal then there really isn't anything to worry about and putting a lot of medicine in it isn't helping could make it worse :) Just breath as long as she/he is acting healthy then you are good they don't starve themeselves :):)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts