Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Senator Lesniak is attempting to take away NJ voters rights to purchase a puppy or kitten from a reliable source and pushing citizens to obtain their next pet from shelter or rescue sources only! Bill #S63 bans the sale of puppies and kittens from licensed pet shops AND bans all breeders and buyers from selling or purchasing their pet from anyone outside of the state of NJ via online transactions, face to face transactions only!

While everyone supports shelter animals and adoptions, to ban everyone in the entire state of their CHOICE of whether to adopt or shop, or where to purchase a quality bred puppy or kitten is not the American way.

Here is the meat and potatoes of this bill if it passes:

1. Want to purchase your next puppy or kitten from a wonderful, conscientious breeder in California? Sorry, Lesniak says you won’t be able to unless you are willing to fly or drive to California and do a “face to face transaction”! No Internet sales are allowed!

2. Are you a reputable breeder in NJ and have found some wonderful homes for your upcoming litter but they live in other states? Sorry, unless those wonderful homes are willing to come directly to you and do a face to face transaction, you are limited to finding homes for your babies only in the local area!

3. Are you a breeder in or out of the state of NJ that buys and/or sells puppies/kittens to other breeders to diversify/improve your breeding line? You will no longer be able to have that great working relationship to better your breed because no sales in or out of the state of NJ will be allowed unless they are IN PERSON transactions!!!

4. Do you want to find a good, local pet shop with puppies/kittens available from reputable sources? There are NONE, because all pet stores are banned from selling puppies/kittens from ANY source other than a shelter or rescue group!

THINK about what that means…

Suppose you want to buy a Siamese kitten or a Collie puppy and there are no breeders or available litters within driving distance of NJ, Senator Lesniak says: “tough” you can’t have the puppy or kitten of your choice from a reputable breeder of your choice; go adopt a shelter dog/cat instead! What if you do the research and find out that the type of puppy or kitten you want from a reputable breeder is only available in Nebraska? Unless you want to fork over the extra money to fly out to Nebraska to do an “in person transaction”, you are out of luck, go adopt a shelter or rescue pet.

Want to purchase your next puppy or kitten from a pet shop? Nope, the only animals that will be found now at pet shops will be shelters animals for adoption. And what happened to all the health warrantees that pet shops were previously required to offer to protect purchasers? Well Shelters and Rescues are EXEMPT from offering even the most basic of background information or warrantees to say that the adopted pet is healthy!

And the most important thing to remember here folks:

Contrary to what Lesniak says, that he is pushing this bill to help reduce homeless pets, there will always be plenty of shelter/rescue pets available because there are ZERO regulations preventing them from being imported from elsewhere and there are ZERO regulations requiring shelters or rescue groups to provide adopters with even the most basic of background information or warrantees to say that the adopted pet is healthy!

Please sign the petition https://www.change.org/p/adopt-or-shop-it-s-your-choice

·
Registered
917 Posts
IMO, no reputable breeder would ever sell to a pet shop. I'd love to see a ban on selling puppies and kittens in pet shops. The rest though, I agree with you on.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
No reputable breeder sells to a pet store. 99% of the animals there are from mills.

Mills are bad, bad, bad. The animals there live in terrible conditions, are often unhealthy, treated poorly, have major behavioral problems, etc. And that's before they reach the store! In the store even more goes wrong.

These are living, breathing creatures. You have a right to buy a purse from a store if you like; but now another being comes into play. Why not care about their welfare?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
4. Do you want to find a good, local pet shop with puppies/kittens available from reputable sources? There are NONE, because all pet stores are banned from selling puppies/kittens from ANY source other than a shelter or rescue group!
There are none because there are NO GOOD PET SHOPS or "reputable" sources. They're all mill dogs. Look at my sweet Tyrion in my profile picture who was sold at a NJ pet store and gotten from a puppy mill. Want to see the video of him suffering and whimpering in pain because of the surgery he needed to repair his worthless liver? Oh wait, you don't care about animal welfare you care about the "Freedom" of people who want to exploit them for money and carelessly buy a dog they see in a store or online like a pretty picture or stuffed animal.

If people want a dog bad enough they should go and pick it up. If not then you get puppies delivered like books from amazon, too young, traumatized, ill, and often from puppy mills.

And of course shelters and rescues are exempt from saying their animals are healthy. Know why? Because they don't know for sure and won't offer you a BS excuse. Shelters don't know a dog's genetic history so how could they possibly offer you a warantee? That's like offering a health warantee at a sperm bank where they never got medical histories of the dudes donating. But any good shelter does heartworm test and other basic medical tests as well as give you vaccinations. Even then, you can't always guarentee health on any living creature because you can't always predict health problems. That's the difference between dogs and freaking merchandise. And if I see one more "healthy" pet store puppy that is a genetic train wreck or is wracked with parasites I'll vomit.

This is truly the best news I've heard in a long time and I really needed it today with all the puppy mill crap I've had to deal with today. I cannot say I would be prouder or happier to be from NJ if we banned all puppies and kittens from pet stores. I'll be organizing parades and dancing in front of the empty storefronts and helping volunteer to deliver the smiling Pitties in need of homes to stores that go humane. You absolutely disgust me, but I thank you for enlightening me on this bill because I'm now going to do everything I can to help get it passed.

Reactions: inkyserifs

·
Registered
279 Posts
You had me at

face to face transactions only
Where do I go to support this! I just searched but couldn't find anything except this Animal Rights – Senator Raymond J. Lesniak
He seems to have a really good record on animal rights.

This bill doesn't take away freedoms to trade dogs across state lines, it just says it has to be an in person transaction, and isn't it better to buy a dog you have at least seen first? I think most ethical breeders insist on seeing the buyer in person.

·
Registered
3 Posts
arguement in favor of NJ pet shops

The well meaning comments favoring the proposed pet shop bill were based on mis-information. In New Jersey your best chance of obtaining a healthy puppy is FROM a pet shop. Pet shops in New Jersey are subject to extreme scrutiny under the Pet Purchase Protection Act which was just enhanced. Puppies must be purchased from USDA licensed breeders. Not even BYBs qualify as they cannot be licensed. All puppies must be examined by a NJ licensed veterinarian and a health certificate issued that stipulates significant findings,vaccination history and parasite control. If that wasn't enough, the puppy has a bumper to bumper all inclusive guarantee for a week even if injury arises from the purchasers neglect, and six months for congenital abnormality. Medical expenses are covered for twice the purchase price. You are virtually assured a healthy pet. Where else can you find such protection? Not from a breeder or shelter in or out of state. Only from a pet shop, under current law. These protections will repealed once the Lesniak proposals are enacted.

Purchasing a pet in New Jersey will no longer be fun, but rather a major gamble and inconvenience and the consumer will have no recourse - more abandonment the result. Back yard breeding and a flood of shelter imports from other states will fill the void. Neither is regulated. With importation from unregulated dubious sources comes disease that can affect our present population of healthy dogs. Every few years, for example, arises a new strain of dog flu for which there is little protection. Shelters are a hot bed for infection and parasitism. Our pets are soon to be put at risk.

You should take your new puppy to a veterinarian for an initial visit and bring any records. If it was from a pet shop, by law, you will have been supplied with a full medical history. The puppy will have recently been vaccinated, wormed and examined and likely the visit will be uneventful. If a problem is discovered it will be dealt with at the expense of the store. A puppy with issues, from another source, and the consumer has no legal protection.

We're not talking drugs or weapons. Consumers should not be subject to needless restriction that will create a black market in the pet industry. Where will it end? This ridiculous bill was not well thought out. They just passed very restrictive laws in regard to pet shops which they now will repeal in favor of a counter productive proposal - no protection, just inconvenience. It's as if one branch of government has no clue as to activities of another. At present purchasing a pet in New Jersey is still fun and as risk free as anywhere. Let's protect some of our rights as consumers.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
@cowgirl - we're not talking about purses or watches here...these are living creatures that deserve protection.

The reason that "backyard breeders" can't be licensed, if I recall correctly, is because you have to produce so many litters a year in order to fit that requirement. Which is NOT a good thing. Inspected doesn't mean that these animals are getting adequate attention or care - just that they have food, water, shelter.

Additionally, most congenital defects don't seriously show up until after 6 months of age, so that guarantee is nearly worthless.

I think ultimately the consumer should be as educated as possible, and to make a good decision about where they obtain a dog. Frankly, that is not a pet store. Period. But the "USDA inspected" gets touted a lot as a positive guarantee when it's not, and is mainly used to confuse uneducated buyers.

There are some parts of the bill that might be tricky, but I personally 100% support not selling puppies or kittens in pet stores, but rather holding adoption events instead. Not only does it help choke out puppy mills a bit in regard to impulse buyers, but it also helps to educate consumers at least a little bit.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I saw this bill and I hope it doesn't pass. I don't see a problem with disallowing pet stores from selling pets. The provisions regarding breeders will just benefit puppy mills and BYBs as they do not care about the laws. Making it too inconvenient for breeders only benefits puppy mills. It may not survive a court challenge either as states aren't even really suppose to regulate interstate commerce. The AKC may even challenge it.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
This bill doesn't take away freedoms to trade dogs across state lines, it just says it has to be an in person transaction, and isn't it better to buy a dog you have at least seen first? I think most ethical breeders insist on seeing the buyer in person.
Many breeders cannot do so because of the distances involved. The USA is a big country and people buy dogs from other parts of the world. If the law said that it needs to be an in person purchase if the breeder and buyer are in New Jersey, it'd be OK. However states aren't allowed regulate to interstate purchases. In other words, the bill would need to allow anyone to ship a dog in from out of state and outside the country without any sort of in person visit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So you think that no inspection is preferable? USDA inspection is not perfect but better than nothing. Under the new law it will be hard to find a puppy from an inspected facility, and most won't be, or one that was examined previously. Under the current law any puppy from a pet shop has received meticulous attention.

Your credibility is in question when you make unsubstantiated statements. The fact is that MOST congenital defects do show up by six months. The list is exhaustive but I'll list a few. Luxating patella, jaw deformity,osteochondritis dessicans, pan osteitis, femoral head necrosis, panosteitis, entropion, ectropion, cherry eye, persistent pupillary membrane, stenotic nares, cleft palate, elongated soft palate, cryptorchism, hermaphroditism, inguinal hernia, umbilical hernia, persistent right aortic arch, patent ductus, heart valve deformities and murmers, liver shunt, megesophagus, hydrocephalus, cerebellar hypoplasia, deafness, hair coat anomalies, screw tail, for a start. More can be found online or in a veterinary textbook. Many will be uncovered on the initial exam. Some veterinarians claim they can diagnose elbow and hip dysplasia by six months. The six month guarantee is far from "worthless" and is far better than no guarantee. You say the educated consumer should make the decision but this law unfairly limits that process.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I doubt they issue licenses to facilities they know nothing about. Under the new law there would be no authority, no risk of losing a license. A breeder would have no incentive to follow any regulations - there would be none.

The state should have no say in where I shop. If I were in the market today I'd search the pet stores and probably chose a mix breed as they are least likely to be inbred, likely more intelligent and less prone to congenital problems. I can judge the temperment within twenty minutes. In a few days I'd go to my vet with a stool sample and I'm confident he'll find no problems as the puppy was recently checked. If there's a problem he can treat it at no cost to me. I have the option of returning the puppy if there's a problem I'm not willing to deal with. This is a commitment of a decade or more. I'm not about make a poor choice. A NJ pet store is my best choice.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Frankly, I question anyone who can call themselves a dog lover and still think that puppy mills are okay.

I guess you can't argue with some people. So I'm not even going to try.

While it's true that you can detect certain things before 6 months of age - either very simple things or very severe things - a vast majority comes with growth. Hence why responsible breeders tend to offer guarantees of two years or more.

I have had the pleasure of owning two puppy mill puppies. One, yes, was purchased from a pet store when I was 8 years old. He developed parvo very quickly. So yeah - something severe that could be caught right away. Thankfully he survived and was fine. My second was a rescue dog that came from a mass hoarder situation (but she was selling the dogs so would qualify as a mill). You should have seen the adult dogs that came out of that mess - the place was perfectly clean but the dogs psychologically damaged. My pup was 8 weeks old and seemed fine in the first 30 minutes I spent with him before taking him home - friendly, social, happy, eager, but has struggled with behavioral issues from day one. And no - not due to bad training, as he has had not only me but qualified trainers working with him, but rather due to his genetics.

Maybe when you bring home a dog with serious problems you'll change your mind. Or not. You'll probably just dump said dog back at the mill and try again.

Again, these are living beings. The way they are treated matters. It doesn't matter how clean the facilities are if the dogs are left alone 24/7, stressed out and with no positive human contact. It's cruel to them, it stresses their puppies, it creates a nasty, nasty cycle.

If it helps, there are a few rescues I know of who take in dogs from LICENSED puppy mills, that are either dumped or given/sold when the business goes under or the owner grows tired. You'd be shocked at the level of neglect these poor dogs suffer.

Or, again, you probably wouldn't care. Because apparently everyone deserves the freedom to abuse an animal as long as they can pay for it.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
I grew very uncomfortable by how many times the word "facility" was used in purchasing a living animal.
If I'm purchasing a dog, I'm going to the breeder. I want to see where my puppy was born, how it lives, what the parents are like, and if I actually like the breeder as a person. I drove quite a distance for both of my dogs (one way was six for Levi and five and a half for Heidi.) and I don't think that is unreasonable.
If i'm not buying a puppy, I'll check out rescues (and I say this as the owner of two breeder-purchased puppies).

My old city banned selling puppies in pet stores, and nothing too traumatic happened. People still get puppies from breeders, friends, or the humane society.

Reactions: JudyG

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I doubt they issue licenses to facilities they know nothing about. Under the new law there would be no authority, no risk of losing a license. A breeder would have no incentive to follow any regulations - there would be none.

The state should have no say in where I shop. If I were in the market today I'd search the pet stores and probably chose a mix breed as they are least likely to be inbred, likely more intelligent and less prone to congenital problems. I can judge the temperment within twenty minutes. In a few days I'd go to my vet with a stool sample and I'm confident he'll find no problems as the puppy was recently checked. If there's a problem he can treat it at no cost to me. I have the option of returning the puppy if there's a problem I'm not willing to deal with. This is a commitment of a decade or more. I'm not about make a poor choice. A NJ pet store is my best choice.
Your puppy aside, do you not care about the conditions it's mother may be living/existing in!!!? These breeding fascilities are hell holes for the breeding bitches, no health care, no comfort, no pain relief, no love!!!! & often a slow, painful death, alone in a cold cage. Actually, I'm not sure why I'm responding to this, you have made up your mind that it's perfectly fine to buy from a store, if you had educated yourself with the facts of puppy mills & pet stores you wouldn't go near the places, so I guess you really don't care about the background as long as you can pay to get your pup sorted out. For shame on you!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts