Dog Forum banner

Niko still limping on and off. Could it be Lyme/Lepto?

5K views 32 replies 4 participants last post by  Holly 
#1 ·
Please read here to see how this started:
http://www.dogforum.com/dog-health/niko-still-limping-22154/

The Dasuquin that the vet gave I dont think has made a big difference. He still limps on and off, will be fine one moment and then limping the next (only a slight limp now that comes and goes.)

I was reading up about vaccines and diseases and found that limping (on and off) can be a sign of Lyme or even Lepto. He gets the Lyme vaccine every year(but i know it doesnt cover all strains or protect 100%) but has never had the Lepto vaccine (he will be getting Merial's RECOMBITEK® 4 Lepto vaccine for the first time this year, a month apart from him other vaccines and I will be sticking around my vets office for an hour or two to make sure there is no reaction.)
-He has none of the other signs, just the muscle soreness and limping that comes and goes. BUT when he is excited or has been playing his front leg(and sometimes a back leg) will sometimes shake (either while standing or laying down). -related? :confused:

The vet is closed now but im thinking to call and set up an appointment to get him tested for both. The last time he was tested for Lyme was 2/17/12 but I know those can give false negatives and plus he could of gotten it between then and now.

What do you think of his limping being a sign of early Lyme or Lepto? Anyone know how much a Lepto test is? The lyme/hw/and 2 others is about $30 i know.

Am I over reacting? Sometimes he seems like nothings wrong, other times he will limp a little... I just know its better to catch these things earlier than later...:(:eek:

See less See more
#28 ·
Well maybe tomorrow I will be able to she the woman vet (there are 2 there [the older man with white/grey hair i dont know his age and the younger late 30's? woman] and get a second opinion off her too. I like her a lot better than the man... I think she is more up to date on new info that comes out like vaccine schedules.

I dont know where i was reading that dog can have Lyme but the test will give false negatives... Glad to hear they are pretty accurate!

Should I continue to give the Dasuquin at the same time as the Rimadly? They wont counter effect each other or make a "toxic soup" when mixed....

Have I told you enough that you rock by the way Holly? :thumbsup::wave:

#30 ·
You definitely have and have calmed me down and made me not worry as much. I was really considering calling into work this morning cause i was so stressed about Niko. Now im feeling confident and calm that we can figure this out.

I put up a dog gate on my bedroom door so he will be confined to one room and not be able to run around and will thus rest better.

I will use a leash to take him outside on potty runs from my bedroom door till he gets back into my room, so he doesnt try to run.

Also put a storage tub at the bottom of my bed so he has a "step" to getting up and down and wont be jumping off the bed and landing on his front paws/legs so he will rest that way too. (and will get some non adhesive shelf liner tomorrow to line the top with so he can get more traction on it)

Thanks again Holly and I will let you know tomorrow what the results are.

#31 ·
Niko's appointment is at 3pm and go figure he IS NOT limping at ALL today...!!! :bashself:

Glad I have the video's from yesterday!

Him and my car are in cahoots together... whenever I take my car into the shop for something it starts running perfect for that day..

#32 · (Edited)
So I showed the lady vet my video's since Niko wasnt limping at all today and she thinks it is arthritis (she called it ___ arthritis, started with a "C"...?) or a pulled muscle.

We did the lyme test and it came back negative. She said since it isnt something that is bothering him all the time and is on and off she really doubts x rays would show anything since micro fractures (and a couple others things she listed) wouldnt show on an xray and anything bigger he would be showing a lot more pain than he is.

She said the dasuquin can take 4-8 weeks to start showing a difference in the dog and that we should wait and see if that fixes it once it kicks in. Also said if it does we can put him on a special food that will help him with arthritis "SD's healthy mobility or j/d" or i could just stick with dasuquin.

¯\(°_o)/¯

edit:
I did find out though, the leg he is limping on IS the leg he had dew claw surgery on. (the other vet said it was his right, but she is the one who did the surgery and said it was on the left and looked it up in Niko's file, it said left front leg) But that was back on 8/2/11 and he started limping in March, so I dont think that has anything to do with it...?

#33 ·
The J/D is a good food but I personally wouldn't go switching if the Dasuquin works.

The only "c" word I can think of is crepitus...? Not sure what she's referring to.

I don't think this is at all related to the dewclaw surgery to be honest. I can't think of a way to put them together...
Glad you did the lyme test and it was negative.

Dogs are always magically better when they are going to the doctor. It's funny how that happens... lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.