Dog Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Yes, you can and should get a second opinion and I'll gladly take a look at them.

He's right, odds are he'd be showing a lot more pain. BUT, if it were just arthritis or even a muscle pull, he should have started to feel better.

How strictly have you been resting him?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I didn't walk him all weekend or on monday or Tuesday. Wednesday and today were short 10-20 minute very slow paced walks with no running. He played in the back yard with my mom yesterday and played in the sprinkler water. Last night we played a short game of tug o war not a rough game though. He runs in the house and backyard, up and down the stairs. No 'complete rest' but no hard rough exercise. The only way to MAKE him rest would be to lock him in my room or his crate...

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So do you think it's just muscle then? Should I still do X-rays or do crate rest first?

When u say crate rest do u mean 24/7 except for potty breaks??

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Tough call, it's up to you whether to wait on the xrays and crate rest first or not. He should be on pain meds while being crate rested as well. Rimadyl would be fine.

And yes, I mean 24/7 in the crate except for potty breaks... unless you can keep him on a leash and therefore calm when you're around-- sitting and watching a movie etc.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think I will do X-rays and Lyme test just to make sure and be able to rule it out...

So are you thinking its just a pulled muscle? I will request rimadyl.

So should I also treat for Lyme even if the test comes back negative or no do you think? I know the test are supposed to give a lot of false negatives...

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I've not seen a lot of false negative lyme tests (sometimes false positives from previous exposures or vaccines). I wouldn't treat unless it's positive.

I honestly can't say if I think it's just a pulled muscle. Actually doing a physical examination tells you a lot...

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well maybe tomorrow I will be able to she the woman vet (there are 2 there [the older man with white/grey hair i dont know his age and the younger late 30's? woman] and get a second opinion off her too. I like her a lot better than the man... I think she is more up to date on new info that comes out like vaccine schedules.

I dont know where i was reading that dog can have Lyme but the test will give false negatives... Glad to hear they are pretty accurate!

Should I continue to give the Dasuquin at the same time as the Rimadly? They wont counter effect each other or make a "toxic soup" when mixed....

Have I told you enough that you rock by the way Holly? :thumbsup::wave:

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Please do continue the Dasuquin with the Rimadyl. The Dasuquin is just like a vitamin so it doesn't interact with anything. It's a good compliment to other joint meds.

Glad to hopefully help!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You definitely have and have calmed me down and made me not worry as much. I was really considering calling into work this morning cause i was so stressed about Niko. Now im feeling confident and calm that we can figure this out.

I put up a dog gate on my bedroom door so he will be confined to one room and not be able to run around and will thus rest better.

I will use a leash to take him outside on potty runs from my bedroom door till he gets back into my room, so he doesnt try to run.

Also put a storage tub at the bottom of my bed so he has a "step" to getting up and down and wont be jumping off the bed and landing on his front paws/legs so he will rest that way too. (and will get some non adhesive shelf liner tomorrow to line the top with so he can get more traction on it)

Thanks again Holly and I will let you know tomorrow what the results are.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Niko's appointment is at 3pm and go figure he IS NOT limping at ALL today...!!! :bashself:

Glad I have the video's from yesterday!

Him and my car are in cahoots together... whenever I take my car into the shop for something it starts running perfect for that day..

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
So I showed the lady vet my video's since Niko wasnt limping at all today and she thinks it is arthritis (she called it ___ arthritis, started with a "C"...?) or a pulled muscle.

We did the lyme test and it came back negative. She said since it isnt something that is bothering him all the time and is on and off she really doubts x rays would show anything since micro fractures (and a couple others things she listed) wouldnt show on an xray and anything bigger he would be showing a lot more pain than he is.

She said the dasuquin can take 4-8 weeks to start showing a difference in the dog and that we should wait and see if that fixes it once it kicks in. Also said if it does we can put him on a special food that will help him with arthritis "SD's healthy mobility or j/d" or i could just stick with dasuquin.

¯\(°_o)/¯

edit:
I did find out though, the leg he is limping on IS the leg he had dew claw surgery on. (the other vet said it was his right, but she is the one who did the surgery and said it was on the left and looked it up in Niko's file, it said left front leg) But that was back on 8/2/11 and he started limping in March, so I dont think that has anything to do with it...?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
The J/D is a good food but I personally wouldn't go switching if the Dasuquin works.

The only "c" word I can think of is crepitus...? Not sure what she's referring to.

I don't think this is at all related to the dewclaw surgery to be honest. I can't think of a way to put them together...
Glad you did the lyme test and it was negative.

Dogs are always magically better when they are going to the doctor. It's funny how that happens... lol

21 - 33 of 33 Posts