Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a 1.5 year old pure bred black pitbull. He is well trained and healthy. Loves people and other dogs, his only problem in life is cats. He hates all and every type of cat...

I moved in to a new apartment, I take my dog for long walks twice a day for at least 2 hours. I make sure he is completely worn out by the end of "exercise time". I've never used force to train him, I've trained him with positive reinforcement since I got him as a puppy and it has proved to be very effective.

I recently moved in to an apartment with no backyard, I make sure he gets his daily exercise and training. My new neighborhood is full of street cats, they are everywhere and there's no way of avoiding them, I keep the dog on a leash the entire time during walks, but nothing can keep his focus away from the cats, he snarls and rushes at them every chance he gets and it's extremely frustrating. Sometimes I find fenced area and let him loose and throw his toy around, but he always manages to find a cat and chase it, he has put both himself and I in very dangerous situations, sometimes he chases them into traffic and other times he runs far enough till he's out of my sight and I have to run around the neighborhood looking for him.

I've read all I could online about how to fix this issue, some things I've read tell you to "introduce" him to cats and explain how to do it... Not only has that been a huge failure, but I think it makes him hate cats even more. Does anyyyone have an idea on how to fix this problem? Will an e collar help? Am I gonna have to live with this? Help me please!

Thank you.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I would stay away from an e collar. I'd be afraid it would either not faze him at all or it would make him hate cats even more. It's very possible that he'd think the cat is the reason he is being hurt(shocked).
You'll need to find a super high value treat, or toy if he likes them more. You need to get him looking at you before he can focus on the cat, not always easy I know. But I would turn and walk the other way if he sees a cat and wont focus on you. Actually there is a video on youtube by Zak George that works on this. It will explain better than I can. But it's worked for me. Every time my my dane sees something and pulls or barks we turn and go the other way until her focus is back on me. Then we go back towards whatever interest her. Rinse and repeat as many times as needed. Over the months it's taken less and less time.

Found it, there are also other videos that may help you on his youtube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-VY_H_TG_Y

Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect! I'm gonna check the video out and let you know how things go. I agree with what you said about the e collar, that's part of the reason I stayed away from that option.

I'll post results here as I start figuring this thing out. Thank you for your quick reply. Any other links or tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
This helped us and because you have so many cats in the neighborhood that will help with the de-sensitization. This worked for us with our own cats and extended to the geese, ducks and squirrels in the park.
Diamonds in the Ruff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts