Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
We recently bought home our beautiful Yorkie puppy on Monday and I was just looking for a little advice regarding toilet training and primarily nighttime routine.
Currently he is shut down stairs in our lounge where we spend all of our time during the day, he is provided with food and water, a puppy pad, one of my T-shirts, a toy from his old home that smells of his mum and a warm hot water bottle under his bedding.
I know that everyone says nowadays that it's kinder to bring them upstairs into your room but unfortunately he is an extremely vocal little dog so I'm unable to bring him up into my room as we have our young daughter in with us as well. He doesn't whine so much as yelp/bark/cry at extremely high volume if you go out of the room, if he's crated, in the car; if he wants your attention basically.
This is the same method we have used with our last dog and our old family dog but my concern is that he does seem to whine throughout the night. Of course I do appreciate it is only early days and I'm not expecting miracles. However he seems to wake up probably every two hours and cry for a good 30 minutes before eventually settling back down I presume out of exhaustion. Then another 2hrs later approximately, that cycle then continues.
Tonight will be his fourth night and it's getting to the stage where I'm actually dreading going to bed. Despite using earplugs and covering my head I can still hear him crying and it's keeping us awake and our daughter. Not to mention of course how he is feeling.
I know some people out there will tell me that I'm doing the wrong thing and that I need to bring him into my room or come down and let him out every 2/3 hours but personally I feel that that would only encourage him to whine to get me to come down and see him and also it would disturb my family to come down that often to let him out.
He's not at the stage yet where he actively is asking to go out and just tiddles wherever he is so I don't think he is calling me to toilet, it's probably more down to loneliness.
Is there anything else I can do that I'm not already and has anyone else experienced this before that can help?
With my last dog she was a Labrador cross collie and the first night she cried for 20 minutes and then didn't make a sound and the second night only 10 minutes and she never made a sound after that. Three nights in a row Teddy has cried every 2/3 hours without fail so quite an extended period of time.
It does feel at the moment like it's never going to change and that's just what he's going to do every night :( as I say, I know some people will swear blind by bringing him into our room or getting up regularly but we didn't do this with either of our other dogs so it's not something I'd really want to start doing now nor is it practical for me. Please be kind in your responses, this is my first time having a small breed dog so I know it's a different kettle of fish but I'm eager to learn and only want what's best for him xx

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello, I'm not sure if I can help as I just got my own Yorkie puppy 4 weeks ago today. She was 9 weeks old. I have her sleeping in our kitchen which is a medium sized room. On her first few days I used an old bed guard I had from my son's bed to cordon off half the kitchen for her as I heard they feel safer in a smaller area. I put down puppy pads, water, some toys, a heating dog pad (bonzo from amazon) and I leave on a night light. The first night she did cry for about a 1/2 an hour and then she must have fell asleep, then she woke me up crying at 2 o' clock in the morning but again she fell back asleep in a while. I was told to absolutely not go down to her as she would bark/cry for longer then. She did the same for about 3 nights but then stopped and since there is not a sound out of her. I put her to bed at around 10 o' clock at night and get up at 7.30a.m. Now that she is able to go out after getting her vaccines done I try to walk her at around 7 p.m. so she's tired at night time. For the first couple of weeks I was so anxious about her crying I would sneak around upstairs and not let anyone go back downstairs after I put her to bed (which my husband wasn't happy about one night when he was thirsty :) However last night he came in after she had gone to bed to get a drink and she got out of bed to greet him but then he told her to get back into bed which she did and didn't cry after he left. I did read when I got her that it's important to leave them for small times during the day and come back so they don't get anxious about being left on their own. I only work 2 days a week and I send her to puppy day care 1 of those days and the other day I come home to check on her for about an hour. So she's only on her own for about 3 hours at a time. I don't know if this helped at night too. I don't crate her and I don't get up at night to let her out. To be honest I think this is ridiculous. I live in Ireland and would never have heard of anyone getting up at night to leave their dog out. to be honest if I told anyone I was doing that they'd think I was mad. I have my dog 4 weeks today and she is 99.9% toilet trained about a week ago. she goes to the back door to let me know when she has to go and the only time she has an accident is if it's very windy or rainy outside and she has had a couple of accidents in the house but she's so small they are easy to clean up. To train her the minute I caught her going outside I used the word 'wees' and immediately gave her a piece of turkey. She loved this so much I think it only took a couple of times of me saying the word and giving the treat before she recognised, if she goes outside it's a good thing and if she goes inside she gets nothing. I've had Pomeranians and cavaliers in the past but she is by far the cleverest dog I've ever had. Hope your puppy settles down as Yorkies are such gorgeous dogs and have so much enjoyment to give.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Hi there,

When you wake up in the morning has he used the pad? Also is he in a room or is he crated?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Do you take him out at all in the middle of the night? A puppy that young needs to go out 1-2 times during the night, and it will just set back housetraining if you just expect him to go on the floor.

I wouldn't go down when he cries, but rather set an alarm for exact times and take him out. That way you don't give into the whining but he doesn't have to hold it either.

I don't personally think it is ridiculous to take a pup out to potty - think of how it feels when you have to go, especially at times when you can't right away. It's uncomfortable. As he ages, his bladder will be able to last longer, but he's not there now.

Otherwise, be patient. He's been taken from his family and is no doubt very scared, especially at night.

·
Registered
290 Posts
How old is he?

If you don't want to take him out regularly and he is still very young, the pads should work fine for potty business... even though they might make outdoor potty training more difficult later on.

He is young, he has just been separated from everything he's ever known. Leaving him alone like that, considering how often he is making a ruckus, seems like he might be developing separation anxiety. Ignoring him and not training him to enjoy his nighttime space can make it a lot worse.

You cannot treat every single dog like it's the same. This puppy is not your old dogs. He should be treated individually based on his own behavior and this specific case. Not every dog is the same and it is unfair to the puppy for you to expect him to act like your old dogs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello, I'm not sure if I can help as I just got my own Yorkie puppy 4 weeks ago today. She was 9 weeks old. I have her sleeping in our kitchen which is a medium sized room. On her first few days I used an old bed guard I had from my son's bed to cordon off half the kitchen for her as I heard they feel safer in a smaller area. I put down puppy pads, water, some toys, a heating dog pad (bonzo from amazon) and I leave on a night light. The first night she did cry for about a 1/2 an hour and then she must have fell asleep, then she woke me up crying at 2 o' clock in the morning but again she fell back asleep in a while. I was told to absolutely not go down to her as she would bark/cry for longer then. She did the same for about 3 nights but then stopped and since there is not a sound out of her. I put her to bed at around 10 o' clock at night and get up at 7.30a.m. Now that she is able to go out after getting her vaccines done I try to walk her at around 7 p.m. so she's tired at night time. For the first couple of weeks I was so anxious about her crying I would sneak around upstairs and not let anyone go back downstairs after I put her to bed (which my husband wasn't happy about one night when he was thirsty
However last night he came in after she had gone to bed to get a drink and she got out of bed to greet him but then he told her to get back into bed which she did and didn't cry after he left. I did read when I got her that it's important to leave them for small times during the day and come back so they don't get anxious about being left on their own. I only work 2 days a week and I send her to puppy day care 1 of those days and the other day I come home to check on her for about an hour. So she's only on her own for about 3 hours at a time. I don't know if this helped at night too. I don't crate her and I don't get up at night to let her out. To be honest I think this is ridiculous. I live in Ireland and would never have heard of anyone getting up at night to leave their dog out. to be honest if I told anyone I was doing that they'd think I was mad. I have my dog 4 weeks today and she is 99.9% toilet trained about a week ago. she goes to the back door to let me know when she has to go and the only time she has an accident is if it's very windy or rainy outside and she has had a couple of accidents in the house but she's so small they are easy to clean up. To train her the minute I caught her going outside I used the word 'wees' and immediately gave her a piece of turkey. She loved this so much I think it only took a couple of times of me saying the word and giving the treat before she recognised, if she goes outside it's a good thing and if she goes inside she gets nothing. I've had Pomeranians and cavaliers in the past but she is by far the cleverest dog I've ever had. Hope your puppy settles down as Yorkies are such gorgeous dogs and have so much enjoyment to give.
He isn't my first Yorkie, I had one a long time ago when I lived at home. I know first hand how amazing their company can be, it's just getting through this noise at night problem. I'm going to try leaving the light on for him this evening as I think he possibly may be used to that from living at his old home but after following the above routine that you're doing as well, I don't really want to change what I'm doing now and open myself up to more problems.
Just spoke to my husband about your response and he said that he thinks the noise has lessened since the first night, of course I understand it's a massive upheaval for him but I have to be realistic with what I can and can't do for him during the night.
With a young daughter in our bedroom he cannot come upstairs with us nor can I keep setting alarms and getting up to let him out. I've spoken to quite a few friends and family about the option of doing this and I agree with you, they've all laughed at me and said that that's not something they've ever done with the dogs. They just shut them away at bedtime and wait for them to learn that night time is bedtime and that they do on their own? x

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there,

When you wake up in the morning has he used the pad? Also is he in a room or is he crated?
Hi,
Yes when I wake up in the morning he has used the pad. The breeder told me that they had all been semitrained to use newspaper and he does seem to use this in the night.
He has his bed and hot water bottle and toys in the crate but I do not shut the door at night. I box him into a corner of a room and put a towel over half of the crate to help him feel safe in his space but I do wonder if he is not used to the darkness of our house? Where he was situated at the breeders, there was a fish tank and at the vivarium and those lights could have been left on all night which would have given him light and comfort. We don't have anything like that and I house so it would be quite dark as we also don't have any street lights? With that in mind, I think I will try to provide him with some kind of nightlight this evening? x

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you take him out at all in the middle of the night? A puppy that young needs to go out 1-2 times during the night, and it will just set back housetraining if you just expect him to go on the floor.

I wouldn't go down when he cries, but rather set an alarm for exact times and take him out. That way you don't give into the whining but he doesn't have to hold it either.

I don't personally think it is ridiculous to take a pup out to potty - think of how it feels when you have to go, especially at times when you can't right away. It's uncomfortable. As he ages, his bladder will be able to last longer, but he's not there now.

Otherwise, be patient. He's been taken from his family and is no doubt very scared, especially at night.
Hi,
no I don't take him out in the middle of the night. He has a puppy pad down which he is used to toileting on. I do understand that some people feel this makes the house training process longer but I have never found this before with other dogs I've had. We plan to master toilet training during the day and then at night use the pads provided for him to toilet on until he has better bladder control.
At the moment where he's only just eight weeks, he barely has the concept of doing all of his toileting outside and quite often just drops down and tinkles where as he is so I don't think he's calling me in the night to be let out.
Again, I'm unable to set an alarm because our young daughter sleeps in our room with us so this would wake up. He becomes more excited when he sees me and his noise increases until he is let out and petted so I think this would be counter-productive and he wouldn't just calmly go out to the toilet.
I don't feel that it is ridiculous to come down and letting out to toilet, it's just not something that I'm able to do myself. Many friends and family who have/had dogs have all said that they never got up in the night to let the dog out to toilet and that they just provided paper for them to toilet on until they were old enough to hold it at night and become dry. With our old Yorkie, he was dry by the time he was about 3.5 months old and that was just by shutting him in the kitchen all night with paper down for any toilets.
I know the poor little boy is young so as I said in my original post I'm not expecting miracles by any stretch of the imagination, it's just with all of my previous dogs I've never experienced continued crying at spaced out intervals during the night. Normally they would cry for 5?10 minutes when they were left and then put themselves to sleep.
However, with my previous dogs they were not still being left in to sleep with their mum by eight weeks but he was right up until the day I took him, so possibly this is what's making it harder for him? Xx

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How old is he?

If you don't want to take him out regularly and he is still very young, the pads should work fine for potty business... even though they might make outdoor potty training more difficult later on.

He is young, he has just been separated from everything he's ever known. Leaving him alone like that, considering how often he is making a ruckus, seems like he might be developing separation anxiety. Ignoring him and not training him to enjoy his nighttime space can make it a lot worse.

You cannot treat every single dog like it's the same. This puppy is not your old dogs. He should be treated individually based on his own behavior and this specific case. Not every dog is the same and it is unfair to the puppy for you to expect him to act like your old dogs.
Hello,
He is eight weeks and one day. I know he is young and as I've said previously, I'm not expecting miracles overnight.

It's not that I don't want to come down in the night and let him out, it's just not an option for me to do so, that's why the pads are provided and I'm fully aware that it may make potty training longer. As I have advised before it's never had any problem with previous dogs but I do understand all dogs are different.

I don't really know how I can train him to enjoy his night time space? He's only little and he's used to being in a home where he was continuously given affection by the breeder, her four daughters, her husband, his mother and his siblings. It was always going to be a stark change coming into a home with only three members, no other dogs and night times alone. I don't really know how I can make this more pleasurable for him other than to help him learn to self soothe?

I do understand that he is a completely individual dog, I'm not expecting him to be an exact echo of my all dogs by any stretch of the imagination. However, we have our message that we've used with our previous dogs and I'm not used to or familiar with doing any other type of techniques? I do worry that by coming downstairs even if it's only just to let amount to toilet, he gets so excited at seeing somebody that it will be counter-productive and inadvertently reinforce the barking. So I'm not really sure what else to do?

Again, I'm not expecting him to just be quiet from day one but I was just interested to see if anyone else had had a dog who made as much noise as he does and is frequently as he does? It's not something I'm used to as I've not experienced it x

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not saying it's ridiculous to get up to your dog if that's what you want to do but for me it's just not practical. I get anxious when I have a lack of sleep and to be honest after a few days of interrupted sleep with my new dog I felt like I had after I had my children almost like a form of baby blues but over a puppy :) and I knew lack of sleep had a big thing to do with that so when she settled down after a few nights I definitely wasn't going to interrupt my nights sleep to get up and let a pup out to go to the toilet. I put her puppy pad at the furthest point away from her bed and she mostly always used that. I know some people here say it delays toilet training but she's now 13 weeks old today and was practically toilet trained by 12 weeks. In the past week she's had 2 accidents and that's been once from where I wasn't aware she was at the back door looking to go out and another time where is was really wild out and she peed inside. Other than that no accidents at all. I couldn't have coped with working and young children and going back to waking up at night to let my puppy out. I depend on my sleep too much :) My mother has had tonnes of dogs and my dad works with a lady who runs puppy training classes and her advice was put her in a nice warm environment and don't under any circumstances go back down to them when they are crying as just like babies they are clever than and will lengthen the times they cry to get you to come back down to them. In all the people I've grown up with and all their dogs I've never known anyone who gets up to their dogs. They just accept it's a learning curve and adjustment period and it's not nice at times but it gets better. Is your dog old enough that he can be brought for an evening walk to tire him out before bed? Also I bought mine the bonzo dog cushion from amazon that has a heat pad in it that stays warm for up to 10 hours and my dog loves that. The first few nights I put my dog to bed I used to give her a couple of treats so she knew bed was a nice place and didn't associate it with bad feelings. Although when I say the word bed to my puppy she does hide under the table like a child not wanting to go to bed but when she's there now she's quiet. My daughter is dying to let us let the dog sleep with her in her room but I don't think I want that as she needs an uninterrupted nights sleep and I'd hate for the dog not to get used to soothing herself and being on her own as there are times during the day she will be on her own.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not saying it's ridiculous to get up to your dog if that's what you want to do but for me it's just not practical. I get anxious when I have a lack of sleep and to be honest after a few days of interrupted sleep with my new dog I felt like I had after I had my children almost like a form of baby blues but over a puppy
and I knew lack of sleep had a big thing to do with that so when she settled down after a few nights I definitely wasn't going to interrupt my nights sleep to get up and let a pup out to go to the toilet. I put her puppy pad at the furthest point away from her bed and she mostly always used that. I know some people here say it delays toilet training but she's now 13 weeks old today and was practically toilet trained by 12 weeks. In the past week she's had 2 accidents and that's been once from where I wasn't aware she was at the back door looking to go out and another time where is was really wild out and she peed inside. Other than that no accidents at all. I couldn't have coped with working and young children and going back to waking up at night to let my puppy out. I depend on my sleep too much
My mother has had tonnes of dogs and my dad works with a lady who runs puppy training classes and her advice was put her in a nice warm environment and don't under any circumstances go back down to them when they are crying as just like babies they are clever than and will lengthen the times they cry to get you to come back down to them. In all the people I've grown up with and all their dogs I've never known anyone who gets up to their dogs. They just accept it's a learning curve and adjustment period and it's not nice at times but it gets better. Is your dog old enough that he can be brought for an evening walk to tire him out before bed? Also I bought mine the bonzo dog cushion from amazon that has a heat pad in it that stays warm for up to 10 hours and my dog loves that. The first few nights I put my dog to bed I used to give her a couple of treats so she knew bed was a nice place and didn't associate it with bad feelings. Although when I say the word bed to my puppy she does hide under the table like a child not wanting to go to bed but when she's there now she's quiet. My daughter is dying to let us let the dog sleep with her in her room but I don't think I want that as she needs an uninterrupted nights sleep and I'd hate for the dog not to get used to soothing herself and being on her own as there are times during the day she will be on her own.

It's difficult because I definitely see it from both sides. I totally agree with you that everyone I've ever known who's had dogs have never gone downstairs once they've closed the door and this is what I was told by my dog trainer as well. I also cannot really cope with the disturbed sleep and don't want to reinforce this whining in any way by going downstairs to allow him out to toilet. As I say, he's only eight weeks so he really doesn't have much of a grasp of toilet training and has only been with us since Monday so it's very early days for toilet training. I'm confident he's not crying during the night because he needs the toilet, I would put it down to obviously being lonely, having a massive upheaval in his life and also possibly with it being too dark. I will pop a night light on for him this evening and I will definitely look into the warm pads as I want him to feel warm and secure. And also provide him with some treats as well to help him have a positive association with his crate. I put him in his crate for all of his sleeps during the day so he knows it's where he goes to sleep, it's definitely tough but I think I just have to sit it out. It does help to hear that other people have experienced the same things but gotten past it.

I do of course also understand other people feel it right to go down to console their dogs, to allow them in their rooms and let them out to toilet and I don't knock that at all. I just have to be realistic with what I can accommodate and do ourselves x

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good luck with it. As you said it's different what every person can tolerate. With working and having children getting up to a dog isn't something I ever could see myself doing although my mam and dad have a 12 year old cavalier and she gets them up once a night to be let out as her bladder control isn't great and my poor dad gets up to her and because of her age she's also deaf so sometimes when she goes out she starts to wander around the back garden and my poor dad has to go out to shoo her back in :) so it's not just the pups that can give us problems at night time :) wishing you all the best and I hope your pup settles down

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck with it. As you said it's different what every person can tolerate. With working and having children getting up to a dog isn't something I ever could see myself doing although my mam and dad have a 12 year old cavalier and she gets them up once a night to be let out as her bladder control isn't great and my poor dad gets up to her and because of her age she's also deaf so sometimes when she goes out she starts to wander around the back garden and my poor dad has to go out to shoo her back in
so it's not just the pups that can give us problems at night time
wishing you all the best and I hope your pup settles down
Thanks for your help, I can understand how your dad feels. With our old Yorkie he was diagnosed with diabetes at age 12 then lost his sight and hearing to old-age sp he needed to go to the toilet every 30 minutes also, couldnt be left on his own for more than a couple of hours and followed my poor mum around like a shadow because he was otherwise closed off in his own little world.
Anyway, good news this morning. We decided to move Teddy's bedtime area to the same corner of our living room that we use during the day for his bowls and crate. We went to bed at 10 as normal and he began whining but stopped when he heard us going up the stairs. We never heard a peep out of him all night and even when I came down this morning he was very excited but still not whining.
I even thought for a moment he had actually lost his little voice but I have since heard and growling and whining at his toys so I know he hasn't. I'm guessing it may be bought him comfort being in that same corner that he is in during the day. I do you know that there could be a chance he may regress but it certainly seems to make a difference and I enjoyed my first proper nights sleep!!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hi there congrats on your new puppy! I don't want to be repetitive so I'll keep it short but though I would throw in my insight.

For house training I would add in my vote for taking you pup out in the middle of the night, it isn't fun, it does suck and is overall annoying. Yet I wouldn't discount being able to potty train an 8 week old puppy. All puppies are different, some can learn that fast while others take longer. I brought home Aayla almost a week ago and for the past few days we have had 0 accidents. She actually walks to our sliding back door when she needs to go and runs to the grass when we open it. Sure if I don't notice her wandering she has had an accident. Yet right now it is so easy to tell.

She has a potty pad in her playpen when we use when we leave her alone, but she hasn't used it yet. I think giving her the opportunity to go out, even at night, has been what has helped us. Yet you can still house train even after using potty pads, so its all up to you, just might be a longer process. Though she may be crying because she doesn't want to mess in her 'den'. Then after she can be worried about being around her mess. My pup has to go between 2-4am every morning. She does cry when she has to go, and I let her out. Personally, I like a dog to make some noise when they have to go. She gets picked up carried to the grass, put down, does her business, get told she is a good girl, pick her up and put her back in. Except for rewarding going pee she gets no pets, no other attention than being carried. Typically she goes straight back to sleep. As always thought, since this is mostly personal preference its your choice! Just thought I would through out my own experience.

Beyond that, I would suggest working on creating a positive experience with being left alone. When I got Aayla she HATED being stuck behind any type of fencing. High pitch yelping and harsh sounding barks, she pawed at the fence, chewed on it and it was obvious she hated it. Before I even took a step away! So I feel that pain. I suggest doing playpen training! Kikopup has a wonderful video on it, and also I like Zac George's video as well.

Kikopups "How to teach your dog to love being left alone"
Zac George's Video Crate Training

I did these with Aayla and it has been a game changer. She loves her playpen and chooses to go in there and sleep on her own. Sometimes she is still a little whiney and may bark 2-3 times but we ignore her and she quiets down. Most times she will just lay down and take a nap. Her crate in our room is a work in progress. She isn't a huge fan but still settles down very fast. She sometimes whines for about 2 minutes but overall just falls asleep.

I would suggest putting you pup in their sleeping area during the day time for short time periods. Give a stuffed kong, some dog kibble scattered on the floor. Close her in and wait 2-3 minutes. If your pup is still quiet let her out. If she is crying wait until she is quiet for 5 seconds and then let her out. I did this several times throughout the day with the playpen. So everyday she gets put in the playpen for about 3 naps. She also gets told to go into her playpen, given a treat and let back out immediately about 5 times and gets a few times of 5 minutes closed in the playpen. A lot of doing stuff that Kikopup did in her video.

I wish you luck, enjoy your puppy and make sure to post pictures!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi there congrats on your new puppy! I don't want to be repetitive so I'll keep it short but though I would throw in my insight.

For house training I would add in my vote for taking you pup out in the middle of the night, it isn't fun, it does suck and is overall annoying. Yet I wouldn't discount being able to potty train an 8 week old puppy. All puppies are different, some can learn that fast while others take longer. I brought home Aayla almost a week ago and for the past few days we have had 0 accidents. She actually walks to our sliding back door when she needs to go and runs to the grass when we open it. Sure if I don't notice her wandering she has had an accident. Yet right now it is so easy to tell.

She has a potty pad in her playpen when we use when we leave her alone, but she hasn't used it yet. I think giving her the opportunity to go out, even at night, has been what has helped us. Yet you can still house train even after using potty pads, so its all up to you, just might be a longer process. Though she may be crying because she doesn't want to mess in her 'den'. Then after she can be worried about being around her mess. My pup has to go between 2-4am every morning. She does cry when she has to go, and I let her out. Personally, I like a dog to make some noise when they have to go. She gets picked up carried to the grass, put down, does her business, get told she is a good girl, pick her up and put her back in. Except for rewarding going pee she gets no pets, no other attention than being carried. Typically she goes straight back to sleep. As always thought, since this is mostly personal preference its your choice! Just thought I would through out my own experience.

Beyond that, I would suggest working on creating a positive experience with being left alone. When I got Aayla she HATED being stuck behind any type of fencing. High pitch yelping and harsh sounding barks, she pawed at the fence, chewed on it and it was obvious she hated it. Before I even took a step away! So I feel that pain. I suggest doing playpen training! Kikopup has a wonderful video on it, and also I like Zac George's video as well.

Kikopups "How to teach your dog to love being left alone"
Zac George's Video Crate Training

I did these with Aayla and it has been a game changer. She loves her playpen and chooses to go in there and sleep on her own. Sometimes she is still a little whiney and may bark 2-3 times but we ignore her and she quiets down. Most times she will just lay down and take a nap. Her crate in our room is a work in progress. She isn't a huge fan but still settles down very fast. She sometimes whines for about 2 minutes but overall just falls asleep.

I would suggest putting you pup in their sleeping area during the day time for short time periods. Give a stuffed kong, some dog kibble scattered on the floor. Close her in and wait 2-3 minutes. If your pup is still quiet let her out. If she is crying wait until she is quiet for 5 seconds and then let her out. I did this several times throughout the day with the playpen. So everyday she gets put in the playpen for about 3 naps. She also gets told to go into her playpen, given a treat and let back out immediately about 5 times and gets a few times of 5 minutes closed in the playpen. A lot of doing stuff that Kikopup did in her video.

I wish you luck, enjoy your puppy and make sure to post pictures!
Hey,
Thanks very much for your response and taking the time to be so thorough :)

I totally understand where you're coming from and I do totally understand why people get up during the night to let the dogs out to toilet. I'm not saying that it's the wrong thing to do, just in my situation and sleeping arrangements, it's just not feasible for me to do so. Toilet training is still going well with Teddy despite pads in the evening. He only has probably one tinkle during the night on the pad and then goes out in the garden first thing. He either tinkles on the patio if it's been raining because he is very short and the grass is quite long or he will go up onto the garden. He will only defecate in the garden and not in the house and pretty much all of his toileting is outside except for if I miss him snooping around looking for the toilet. At only just eight weeks I consider myself pretty lucky he is doing so well so quickly.
I've been crate training him since day one, he takes all of his naps and that has all of his toys in there and gets given any treats in there. So he isn't scared of being in the crate. During the day when he becomes tired and tries to curl up,I put him into his crate and close the door. Sometimes he will whine slightly because he maybe doesn't feel that he was ready for a nap but will settle down well within one minute and enjoys a nice safe sleep in there. He is a very small dog so it's not possible for me to just leave him sleeping where is he chooses, because at his size and with a toddler, he does come under risk of being stood on which I would not like to happen. Instead of having a place for him to sleep in the daytime and a separate space to sleep at night time, I put him in the same area of the lounge last night as in the day and we didn't hear a peep out of him all night. I'm guessing where we were putting him at night, he did not feel particularly safe and also where he sits he can see out into our conservatory and see our pet rabbit which I think gives him comfort to know he's not alone.

He is a very confident dog and takes everything in his stride so I'm not concerned too much that anything we are doing is detrimental and it is just a case of learning a new set of rules and routine. He is already becoming more independent and not quite so close, doesn't cry when I leave the room or go out of sight anymore and hopefully after a night of no whining, this will continue and he will understand that he sleeps downstairs. Once he's dry through the night he will have earned the right to come up and sleep in our room.

I do appreciate everybody's input and advice, it's just I tried all of the techniques that everyone advises, watched all of the videos and read all of the books with my last dog and I wound up having a self conscious, insecure, reactive and aggressive dog who we had to rehome so this time I'm doing things the way I did with my first Yorkie. It was just the whining all through the night that was a new thing for me but I do think it's because right up until the last minute his mother sleeping in with him? x

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Honestly, fear and reactivity often have more to do with genetics than anything else. Socialization is important, and there are certainly things you can do to teach your dog choices and alternatives (and doing those things sooner rather than later is always best) but sometimes it just happens and can't be prevented.

Have you considered puppy classes? Not only is it socialization in itself, but they can tell you how to go about socializing your puppy all sorts of things AND if they have any experience with fearful/reactive dogs they can give you tips in case your dog ever starts showing signs (not saying he will, not all dogs do).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyway, good news this morning. We decided to move Teddy's bedtime area to the same corner of our living room that we use during the day for his bowls and crate. We went to bed at 10 as normal and he began whining but stopped when he heard us going up the stairs. We never heard a peep out of him all night and even when I came down this morning he was very excited but still not whining.

That's fantastic. It definitely makes you feel better when you have a good night. Last night I said to my puppy okay time for bed. Normally she hides or sits on the rug as if there's no way I'm going to bed. I put her bed out into the kitchen and then went to our play room to get the bed guard I use. When I came back she was no where to be found. I was searching my living room to see if she was hiding behind a chair. When I went into the kitchen I was amazed that she was already in bed! She recognised the word and had gone in there all on her own. She was nearly asleep by the time I left the kitchen. My husband also had to get up at 6 this morning and had to go into the kitchen to get his car keys and I was nervous she would think this was wake up time and not settle down again. However he said she got up, came over to him for a cuddle but got back into bed when he told her and she settled down until I went down to her at 7.30. I am so happy, this was something I couldn't imagine her doing even a week ago so I think at this age they do make huge changes week to week. I hope things keep going so well for you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Honestly, fear and reactivity often have more to do with genetics than anything else. Socialization is important, and there are certainly things you can do to teach your dog choices and alternatives (and doing those things sooner rather than later is always best) but sometimes it just happens and can't be prevented.

Have you considered puppy classes? Not only is it socialization in itself, but they can tell you how to go about socializing your puppy all sorts of things AND if they have any experience with fearful/reactive dogs they can give you tips in case your dog ever starts showing signs (not saying he will, not all dogs do).
Yes, me and Teddy are starting puppy parties next week. He had his first jab Tuesday and will be going to classes each week until his second jab.

I went to puppy training with an accredited dog trainer with Lily my last dog. She is was a collie x lab but mentality of pure collie!

She showed signs of aggression with other dogs when we attended the class and all that happened was the trainer snatched the lead from my hand, shouted at her so she peed herself and told us to go outside while she calmed. Never received any help or advice on how to tackle this and she just got worse and worse!! Never again!!

I have started puppy training at home with Teddy and things are going well. We greet everyone at the door, he is always present with any guests and visitors and he comes out with me to the pets shops etc to meet and greet everyone?

Second night of no crying tonight :) x

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
She showed signs of aggression with other dogs when we attended the class and all that happened was the trainer snatched the lead from my hand, shouted at her so she peed herself and told us to go outside while she calmed. Never received any help or advice on how to tackle this and she just got worse and worse!! Never again!!
That is absolutely terrible. Hopefully you've found a NEW trainer who believes in positive reinforcement!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Maybe try one of these. It will help your very young pup to adjust. I am sure it is probably because he is so young and misses mom and sibs company. That is the problem when pups are taken so young from their moms.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts