Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted before about my reactive puppy. She has a new and very alarming behavior - night time barking in her crate. She has to sleep in a crate at night and she's started alert barking. It's very alarming because I live alone and I absolutely hate when she starts barking. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I feel obligated to investigate but I don't want her to connect "I bark and she comes into the room".

Ugh. I swear y'all, this dog is going to be the death of me. We've been deligently doing clicker training sessions but when she's barking at 3 am and scaring the bajesus out of me - a bark collar sounds very appealing.

Any suggestions? I would put her crate in the basement but she's scared of the steps and won't go down them.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My 3 dogs sleep in crates in my bedroom. When they bark, they are reacting to something so I go and look to find out what they are barking at. Because I am hearing impaired, their barking helps keep me feeling safer. They very rarely bark at night, so when they do, I investigate.

It may be that a puppy sleeping away from you is feeling anxious and lonely, and may be more likely to bark at small sounds. Perhaps her crate could be moved to your room where she might feel more secure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know the barking collar sounds tempting, but please dont fall into the trap. It won't do anything, because it doesn't communicate to the puppy what you want instead of the barking. Plus using aversive methods like that on a puppy can do a lot more harm than good. Sometimes they start associating the collar with something else, like literally anything that happens to be around.

I'd probably try what Lucille said, try moving the crate closer into your room. See if that makes pup feel better in the night. She could be hearing little scary noises outside that mean nothing. My dog does it whenever she hears ANYTHING that sounds even remotely close to fireworks... but only at night.

This way, you'll also be closer by to reward CALM behavior. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sleeping in my room isn't an option. Physically, it's not big enough to hold her crate. And she's 10 months old - she has to sleep in a crate. She can't handle herself enough to sleep on a dog bed. She's really not far from my room - maybe 15-20 feet. I step outside the door and we see one another.

Any other suggestions? I've had her for two months and this really just started. My other dog isn't reactive at all - so when she barks you know she means business. This dog barks at someone closing their car door outside. I feel like me going to investigate is reinforcing it but on the flip side I hate not to.

And I was halfway kidding about the bark collar. But in instances like these when I don't know how to stop the behavior and it's so scary to me (barking when I'm asleep) - I would be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
There may be room in your closet for a crate and you could temporarily remove the closet door. Or put your bed up on blocks so there is enough room under for a crate. Or move to a different room for a while that is larger. If your puppy is scared it is worth making some temporary changes so that she can be closer to you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There may be room in your closet for a crate and you could temporarily remove the closet door. Or put your bed up on blocks so there is enough room under for a crate. Or move to a different room for a while that is larger. If your puppy is scared it is worth making some temporary changes so that she can be closer to you.

No there's not a way to accommodate that. I live in a 100 year old shot gun house. The rooms are small and closet space is virtually non existent. My other bedrooms are in the basement - and she's afraid of the basement stairs. She's a lab and mastiff mix - so unless I have a bunk bed, there's no way her crate will fit under my bed. She has the second biggest crate available. I call her a puppy but she's nearly a year old and she's big.

I really don't think it's separation anxiety. She will alert bark in her crate if I'm in the room watching TV. And I can't anticipate it because obviously I can't hear it.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Samantha will sometimes bark during the night, but we have a lot of raccoons in the area, and they get on our patio and deck, so she is reacting to an invasion of her territory. All I have to do is say, Samantha, no barking, she will stop and go back to sleep, at least until the next event. Of course it took awhile before she understood what I was saying and expected of her, but over time she got it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts