Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my dog Teddy is a neutered male miniature poodle/bichon mix (I think), approximately 2.5 years, I've had him for about a year and a half...he's a rescue and all I know about his past is he came in as a stray. He's had many issues, including leash aggression, resource guarding and many others, but he has made tremendous progress since I've had him in almost all areas. However, there is one fairly new problem, sometimes when he's sleeping, either on my lap or in bed, he'll start growling suddenly and then snap. It happened a couple of times when I had fallen asleep as well, and I put him down and things were back to normal from there...one other time, I moved a little because I had just woken up also, and he snapped but didn't actually bite. Well, last night I was asleep, and I woke up to hear him growling. I think he was still asleep. I moved my foot a little without really even meaning to, he snapped and bit my foot, but didn't break the skin. I put him on the floor, and when he got back in bed he wanted to snuggle and everything was fine.
I've had him checked at the vet several times, blood work and everything is normal, and I have an anxiety medication for him but it doesn't seem to help any of his leash aggression or resource guarding behaviors. It does seem to help these "night frights" but I hate to keep him on medication full-time for something that seems relatively minor...I'm considering just giving it to him before bed? It doesn't happen very often, the last time was about 2 months ago, but I am concerned the next time could be worse...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Erin, Minnie and Teddy Bear

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
That is interesting. Do dogs dream? I believe they do... After a couple of hours hiking the parks, our pup craters in the car and kicks up a storm - barking and growling in his sleep. Never thought about waking him up - he may bite.

Stands to reason, can a dog have a nightmare? We dream, and we have nightmares. Why wouldn't they dream about being chased by a dog or being attacked?

I take melatonin to help me relax and sleep, and it works on dogs as well. If you do try something like this, make sure to check the ingredients, some contain xylitol for example, it's an artificial sweetner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts