Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum.
We just rescued a 5 1/2 year old male miniature long-haired dachshund. He was retired from a breeder and we have had him for one week. He has been urinating off and on in the house and also going outside. We don’t think he was housetrained and most likely went outdoors into a pen to P and poop. We’re not sure where to begin to train a new adult dog to go outside and give us cues that he needs to go out which we don’t believe he’s had to do in the past.

·
Super Moderator
2,799 Posts
I wouldn't expect him to give cues, if he hasn't been housetrained then it's likely he won't even know to.

I'd go right back to basics like if he was a pup.

Toilet training happens when two things come together - the ABILITY to hold the toilet, along with the DESIRE to hold it in order to earn the reward for doing so.

Ideally you want him to not be in a position where he needs to toilet before you have him outdoors, so that every toilet is outside - as far as possible. So set him up to succeed by taking him out even more than he needs; for example every hour or two to start with.

When he toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward him with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make him come to you for the treat so he is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you. The idea is that he wants to earn the treat enough to hold the toilet until he is outside.

As he is actually performing the toilet you can introduce words he can associate with it (like 'do weewee' and 'busy busy') that later when he is reliably trained you can use these to tell him when you want him to toilet.

If you take him out and he doesn't toilet after five minutes, bring him in but don't take your eyes off him. Any hint of a toilet inside, scoop him up and get him out fast. If he doesn't try to toilet indoors (great!) take him out a second time and repeat until you do get outside toilets. You need the outside toilet to happen SO that you can reward SO that he learns.

If he has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed he may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if he needs to toilet (by going off and toileting out of sight) - the opposite of what you want. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at him TOILETING, as opposed to toileting INDOORS. Take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head for not having taken him outside in time. Not when he is there though in case you scare him. Then clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of smell that might attract him back to the spot.

Indoors if you see him circling or scratching the floor, that can sometimes precede toileting so get him out fast.

Please ask if you have any questions, and do update us on progress. And photos would be lovely!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't expect him to give cues, if he hasn't been housetrained then it's likely he won't even know to.

I'd go right back to basics like if he was a pup.

Toilet training happens when two things come together - the ABILITY to hold the toilet, along with the DESIRE to hold it in order to earn the reward for doing so.

Ideally you want him to not be in a position where he needs to toilet before you have him outdoors, so that every toilet is outside - as far as possible. So set him up to succeed by taking him out even more than he needs; for example every hour or two to start with.

When he toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward him with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make him come to you for the treat so he is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you. The idea is that he wants to earn the treat enough to hold the toilet until he is outside.

As he is actually performing the toilet you can introduce words he can associate with it (like 'do weewee' and 'busy busy') that later when he is reliably trained you can use these to tell him when you want him to toilet.

If you take him out and he doesn't toilet after five minutes, bring him in but don't take your eyes off him. Any hint of a toilet inside, scoop him up and get him out fast. If he doesn't try to toilet indoors (great!) take him out a second time and repeat until you do get outside toilets. You need the outside toilet to happen SO that you can reward SO that he learns.

If he has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed he may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if he needs to toilet (by going off and toileting out of sight) - the opposite of what you want. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at him TOILETING, as opposed to toileting INDOORS. Take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head for not having taken him outside in time. Not when he is there though in case you scare him. Then clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of smell that might attract him back to the spot.

Indoors if you see him circling or scratching the floor, that can sometimes precede toileting so get him out fast.

Please ask if you have any questions, and do update us on progress. And photos would be lovely!
Hello and thank you for your helpful advice. We have been taking him out frequently for shorter walks and rewarding him with treats and praise. It’s working! I’ll try to send a picture of him... still learning to find my way around this site. I appreciate your help and will most likely ask you for advice in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and thank you for your helpful advice. We have been taking him out frequently for shorter walks and rewarding him with treats and praise. It’s working! I’ll try to send a picture of him... still learning to find my way around this site. I appreciate your help and will most likely ask you for advice in the future.

·
Super Moderator
2,799 Posts
To upload a photo, click on the little paperclip icon in the box below your message area. That should open a little box offering you options to go to your files or gallery, select the photo you want. You then get the option to display it as a full image or thumbnail da little picture we need to click to enlarge it).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
Oh wow! He's gorgeous!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this forum.
We just rescued a 5 1/2 year old male miniature long-haired dachshund. He was retired from a breeder and we have had him for one week. He has been urinating off and on in the house and also going outside. We don’t think he was housetrained and most likely went outdoors into a pen to P and poop. We’re not sure where to begin to train a new adult dog to go outside and give us cues that he needs to go out which we don’t believe he’s had to do in the past.
If he is retired from a breeder as a stud is he neutered? Intact dogs are harder to house train as they mark their territory, some more than others. I would keep him on a leash in the house and take him out often. Ask him to go potty or whatever verbal cue you wish to use. As soon as he goes praise and treat. I train all my dogs to go on command and it's an easy training as the secret is catching them in the act each time. Later if he forgets in the house you can say No Potty and take him out. Good luck he is beautiful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts