Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hi there, I'm having a hard time finding other reports an adverse Nexgard reaction like my dog is having.
I work at a veterinary hospital as a technician- I'm up to date on the details of all the latest products: nexgard being the most recent addition to our supplies (among parastar, k9advantix, sentinel, trifexis, scalibor collars etc) other staff members, a few clients have already successfully implemented Nexgard for their dogs monthly flea/tick prevention.
This morning about 10am I gave my 1 yr old, 25lb mix breed his monthly sentinel(has been on for 6mo) and his first nexgard dose (I'd previously had him on k9 advantix). Around 12pm I noticed he seemed just a little itchy, no lesions or redness I could see at that point. As the day has gone on he's gotten progressively itchier. At this point he is panting, totally agitated, and cannot stop scratching all over! Head/ears, armpits, groin, sides etc. his skin twitches all over when I touch him. No hives, but he's now inflamed all over, bright red, and from scratching himself is bruising and starting to break the skin!
I've already given him 2 doses of Benadryl, a cool bath, held ice packs and nothing Is relieving the itch. I spoke to my vet earlier when the itching had started to worsen and he said I'd be safe continuing Benadryl every 8hrs.
It's 11pm now and he's finally falling asleep- exhausted from itching I'm sure. I plan on bringing him into the office in the morning for some injections(antihistamine possibly steroid if he's as bad tomorrow).
Im really curious as to why this sort of thing was not encountered or listed in their adverse reactions! And I mean, this is no "dry/flaky skin"... My lil guy isn't particularly sensitive either.
I realize a dog can end up allergic to absolutely anything at any time, but I felt fairly confident in the research I've been heard and read about Nexgard, and I'm concerned that this reaction hadn't been reported or at least documented to my knowledge- hence my trip to the message boards. Anyone else experience this??
Needless to say I won't be using it again.
-Lauren
It may have been the combination of sentinel and nexgard, I too am a vet nurse (Australia) and the reps of nexgard say not to mix products , call the company and ask them.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
My 1 year old Aussie has been on NexGard since he was able to take it, as the ticks are so bad around here. Absolutely zero side effects and I've yet to see a flea or an attached tick.

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I had our poodle/bischon mix on NexGard, but she developed virtually every published side effect, and then some. I keep her on Frontline+ and Heart Gard, which seems to not disagree with her. I don't use Frontline during the winter months, so having a separate flea and heart worm medication really works better for us.

·
Registered
14 Posts
read these reviews: Nexgard Reviews

So, as a technician, do you know about using diatomaceous earth (DE) to control these bugs? Or is it just about chemicals? There are holistic vets out there. They aren't all overpaid marketing outlets for pet drug companies.

·
Registered
880 Posts
If you are thinking about using DE check this out. I am a fan of the holistic/homeopathic but there are cons to using DE such as inhalation is bad and can cause problems (both food grad and not food grade).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Possible trouble with Nexgard

I have 2 cavaliers. I was using Advantage 2 with good results for years but it was slipping. I gave my dogs two monthly doses of Nexgard. One dog was fine but the 4 year old has become quit ill. A very active happy playful dog several days after giving her Nexgard she started acting like she was inflamed and in a great deal of pain. She yelps when she walks or is touched She has stopped playing and doesnt want to walk she just sits down. She acts like she is in total body pain. She also acts like she is having trouble seeing. She appears not totally blind but unsure of herself and afraid to walk around like she cant see her surroundings and is confused. This all started within days of taking Nexgard and was made worse with the 2nd month dose. The vet said he had not heard of this and did not believe it but she is on Rimadyl and pain meds which help. t has been several weeks and she does not appear to be getting worse or better but she is not the same dog and looks like she is in trouble. This stuff is new. I would hold off for now and give it more time to develop a safety/ risk profile. I will not use this again and I hope my dog recovers.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If I suspected adverse reaction to any medication, I'd not have given the second dose.

Has your vet thoroughly investigated your dog's problems?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was also wondering about NexGuard or Comfortis or Bravecto. I use Advantage for all of my cats and on my puppy, but none of it seems to work. I've been thinking about switching to the chewable type, just so expensive! But if it works, it's worth spending the money...I was even told by the vet that spot-ons don't seem to be effective this year-maybe fleas have become resistant?...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Of the 3 oral flea preventatives (Nexgard, Bravecto, and Comfortis), Comfortis is the only one currently known to be safe for cats, so if you want a pill for them, that would be your only choice. I know of some people who are using it for cats, and it seems to work well for them.

Personally, I like Revolution for cats, because it also does ear mites, and round and hookworms, though I've also used Advantage, Vectra, and generic Frontline. I only treat my cats (indoor only and dogs are on prev) if I see them scratching or evidence of fleas, but my parents' indoor/outdoor semi feral gets treated year round with whatever I can get cheap (there's usually a brand having some sort of promo at any given time) or free (staff rewards/newly expired) from work, and he's done ok with all of them. We're about to try Comfortis on an outdoor only feral (no chance of applying a topical), so I'll see how it does for her.

For my dogs, I currently avoid topicals primarily because it is hard to keep Bus out of the water long enough for them to dry and he sometimes gets wet/rinsed/bathed multiple times in a DAY, so I have doubts about their staying power under those circumstances. I also usually only treat if I see fleas, and during the 4 or so heavy flea months in my area (Aug-Nov/Dec). Before getting him, I used Advantage, since getting him, I've used Comfortis (worked fine), Vectra 3D (awesome to see mosquitoes avoiding them, but that only lasted about 3 weeks, though he put it through some pretty adverse conditions), Trifexis (got one box free- worked fine), and Nexgard (worked fine). My work is phasing out Comfortis because the newer oral preventatives also do ticks, so I'll probably stick with Nexgard next year, unless we get something else free. Bravecto has only been out for this year, and I'd like to wait a bit longer before trying it, plus I usually need more than 3 months, but less than 6 months of protection, with sporadic months here and there, so a monthly pill works better for us. I haven't experienced any adverse side effects in my own dogs, but it's something that can happen with any drug, and IME both vets and drug companies usually want to hear about things like that (or products being ineffective).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not a fan of oral flea/tick medications. The reason is once ingested if there is a reaction harder to treat. Topicals can be removed more easily. Have always used frontline plus with great success. Seresto collars can be an option too. At least if a pet has a reaction you can remove the collar. Capstar is great for a quick knock down of a flea infestation but does nothing to control them after about 24 hours.
Capstar Flea Medication (Nitenpyram) For Cats and Dogs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I intuitively feel that the a NexGard dose was the reason my dog became violently ill and we are still in the midst of it...shaking, wincing, lethargy, glossy eyes and almost convulsing. I can't figure out what else could have caused it. It comes and goes randomly. It started two days after he infested the meds and was going strong for two days and is lessening dramatically in frequency but coming on in unpredictable bouts. He has been checked out by the vet and they have no idea what it could be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am trying to find out from your folks whose dogs had problems with Nexgard, specifically the itching and took the dog off Nexgard. How long did it take for the itching to stop?

AND can anyone recommend something that works on fleas that they have used on a 15 lb dog for at least a year or two. I am leery of these newer drugs that do everything seems to be scary reactions.

Thanks to those who take time to reply

·
Registered
3 Posts
Itching problems and Nexgard

:(I am trying to find out from your folks whose dogs had problems with Nexgard, specifically the itching and took the dog off Nexgard. How long did it take for the itching to stop?

AND can anyone recommend something that works on fleas that they have used on a 15 lb dog for at least a year or two. I am leery of these newer drugs that do everything seems to be scary reactions.

Thanks to those who take time to reply!

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
:(I am trying to find out from your folks whose dogs had problems with Nexgard, specifically the itching and took the dog off Nexgard. How long did it take for the itching to stop?

Thanks to those who take time to reply!

My boy is 11.4 lbs and 3 years old, for nearly 2 years now I've used Advantage Multi on him without any side effects that I've noticed. It treats fleas and prevents heartworms along with some intestinal worms.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dian, I've used Brewer's Yeast with great success since last summer. We apparently had a bad flea season here, but Fin didn't get a single one on her. Side effects are thicker/shinier coat.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have also used Advantage Multi on my two little Maltese Hercules 5# and Squeak 6# for at least the past five years. I have never had an issue. Product is easy to apply and effective.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm another that switched to Seresto collars when Frontline stopped working. Raffles for 2 seasons and Ginny for one, with no problems. If any ticks do attach it seems to kill them quickly and does seem to repel them as well - I only ever find live ones walking around or dead ones attached. We don't have a big flea problem here so I can't say whether it's effective or not for fleas (or perhaps that's why we don't have a flea problem!).
Like anything, they seem to cause reactions in some dogs, luckily they haven't in mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, new to the forum and found it when doing some research on Nexgard after experiencing alot of the side effects. Our family is very outdoorsy and we live in CT, ticks around all-year round really. We had our 1yr old pit mix on Andvantix and noticed he was a itchy for a day or so after application, but then was fine. The Advantix worked well other than the itching, but after a recent visit for 1 year exam our vet referred Nexgard. He told us his dogs were on it and it was great. We thought we'd give it a try.

Everything was fine until a week and a half later. We started noticing excessive licking and chewing his paws, very itchy, excessive shedding, eye mucus (so heavy that he would wake up with one of his eyes almost crusted shut), diarrhea, and then swelling. His eyes were almost swollen shut a day after all of the other side effects began. We are fortunate enough to spend all day with our pup as we own our own business and have very flexible schedule. We always have an eye on him. We are very confident that it wasnt something he ingested and nothing else had changed for him other than the Nexgard. On the way to the emergency vet that night I (of course) took to Google and saw that all of his side effects were experienced by others as well, but that they experienced it from one hour to one day after the dose, not a week and a half.

The emergency vet told us that he was having an allergic reaction (we figured that much) but that they weren't sure to what. They asked us about his diet and home factors and nothing has changed and we are sure he is not allergic to his food as he has been on it just fine for the last 8-10 months. They gave him a shot of benedryl and sent us home. He then started getting hives all over his body once that wore off, and even with the benedryl dosage the emergency vet gave him and we continued to give for the next day.with us continuing the benedryl for the next day (our normal vet is closed on Sunday so we had to get through this day on benedryl and rice and egg meals for his diarrhea.)

The next morning we took him to our normal vet and sure enough, he thinks it is the Nexgard even though the symptoms began a week and a half later. He ruled out his diet, ingestion, and enviromental out. The only thing left was Nexgard, he felt confident in that it was his reaction to that. He explained to us that the Nexgard disperses through his blood system over the course of the month so a reaction a week or so in, instead of immediately, is very possible. It varies with every dog of course. He prescribed us stronger allergy meds (I am sorry I do not remember the name off the top of my head but can get it if anyone would like) with a schedule that decreases the dosage over the course of the next three weeks. Just one day after giving him this medication and he was doing much better. A week into it now and he is almost 100% back to normal, the meds make him drowsy. All of the side effects I listed are gone, now we have to wait out and hope that as the dosage decreases they do not come back. We are definitely not giving him Nexgard again. My boyfriend and I joked, we do not have children but could not imagine what it would be like if we did and they were feeling like he did. It was the most stressful and helpless feeling in the world watching him suffer for those few days. We are very relieved that he is doing better and will update once the course of the meds is over.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts