Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last year my dog has been perfectly house trained. Over Thanksgiving I went out of town for the first time since I rescued her. I'm not sure if my dog sitter was waiting too long or my dog was just angry (or both), but she had several accidents in the house.

Now, three weeks later, she's still doing it. I've always worked full time and have had very few problems where she can't hold it. It certainly never became a regular thing. Now, even if I'm gone a few hours she'll just take it upon her self to pee AND poop in the house.

I have caught her a couple times and did what you do with a puppy, by interrupting it and taking her outside. Most of the time when I'm home, she's fine though (though just now she went and did in the bedroom when I wasn't looking instead of sitting by the door).

Crating her has helped to some degree, in the sense that she won't go while she's in it, but if she's not in it, she won't hold it. I go back to work full time in a week or two and it's long hours again. I hate to think that I'm going to have to crate her all that time. What can I do to fix this problem?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Have you ruled out the possible fact that it may be medical situation rather than behavior? No bladder infection?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's possible, but it's urination AND pooping. Not to mention when we go on walks she shows no discomfort or trouble urinating. And when she does, it's not little spots, it's big pee.

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
She's not peeing and pooing in the house out of spite, or because she's angry at you. A dog isn't capable of that. They can't think to themselves, I'm angry because mom is leaving me alone and I know that my peeing in the house makes her angry, so I'll do that to get back at her.

She has some sort of problem going on, and the peeing and pooing is a symptom of it. It may be that whomever you had dog sitting her didn't let her out soon enough, or that something that person did upset her. Something may have happened while you were gone that caused her to have anxiety about being alone and she's having accidents because of it. It may be medical.

I'd take her to the vet and make sure nothing medical is going on.

Once you're positive that it's not medical then you can start re housetraining her. Treat her exactly like you would a dog or puppy that hasn't been housetrained. Clean up any accidents she may have with an enzyme cleaner like Natures Miracle, and if you haven't been cleaning them up with one, or you suspect that she may have had accidents while you were gone, you may want to clean your carpets with it.

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
I'd just start from scratch - there is a weekend coming up where you can focus on it for a couple days as a crash course refresher. Treats at potty times, take her out often, etc. If she's having them while you're home and not looking maybe try confining her to one room that you are in or tethering her to you.

We dog sat for one of my friends and the first thing he did was mark our couch....then our wall...then our chair. We cleaned it with the enzyme cleaner and then started basic potty training. After all, dogs don't generalize. He knows to not potty in his home, but didn't know not to potty in ours. We give him a brief refresher each time he stays with us and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I disagree with rain a little in her saying that a dog isn't capable of doing things out of anger. From experience, dogs are just that smart and need more credit. They can and do things out of spite.
In your case OP, I don't think it's the case though. If it's not medical, then I'd say to the sitter wasn't keeping up with potty breaks, and now she just thinks it's fine to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
10,707 Posts
I disagree with rain a little in her saying that a dog isn't capable of doing things out of anger. From experience, dogs are just that smart and need more credit. They can and do things out of spite.
In your case OP, I don't think it's the case though. If it's not medical, then I'd say to the sitter wasn't keeping up with potty breaks, and now she just thinks it's fine to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm sorry that I wasn't clearer in my post about what I was meaning.

I do know that dogs do stuff out of anger, but I don't think they premeditate how they are going to get back at the person, or thing, they are angry at.

If a dog did something out of spite he'd be doing so to get back at the person, and I just don't think they are capable of that. The dog would have to be thinking, well my owner went and left me alone again so I'm going to chew on his shoes, eat the couch, get in the trash, and pee on his bed, to get back at him.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I'm sorry that I wasn't clearer in my post about what I was meaning.

I do know that dogs do stuff out of anger, but I don't think they premeditate how they are going to get back at the person, or thing, they are angry at.

If a dog did something out of spite he'd be doing so to get back at the person, and I just don't think they are capable of that. The dog would have to be thinking, well my owner went and left me alone again so I'm going to chew on his shoes, eat the couch, get in the trash, and pee on his bed, to get back at him.
I guess we have to agree to disagree here. I do think they are capable of purposely doing things our of anger\spite to gain attention due to something we may have done that caused them to get angry. Speaking from experience, I have seen dogs do things react to a cause with an effect. They may not THINK oh well I'll bite these shoes not those cuz that will really piss her off but they will do thinks they know they aren't allowed to in order to get your attention that something is wrong. That something could be them not being excercised enough, being left home alone, or whatever.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 9 of 9 Posts