Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. We adopted Freda, a 2 and a half year old bull terrier/pitbull mix from a shelter on December 10th. From the moment we brought her home she has been an absolute sweetheart just wanting kisses and snuggles. She listens well.. no accidents in the house, sits on command, etc. My husband and I love her so much! We've had an odd issue pop up in the last two days. She's eager to go out into our fenced backyard and eager to go on walks but does NOT want to come back in. Ive had to coax her in from the back, but when we're on a walk with a harness and leash and approach the house she will stop dead in her tracks and NOT MOVE. The first week we didn't have this issue she walked inside with no problems. Shes not scared inside the house. Perfectly content. We did have a friend over Friday night for a quiet evening (she didn't like him) and my husbands brother was here yesterday and she was being sweet with him... perhaps that caused the change in behavior?

It breaks my heart. We were on a long walk today and I had to literally drag her down the street.. I didn't know what else to do. When we got to our driveway I just picked her up and carried her. (She's 50 lbs) She actually didn't mind that at all.. didn't struggle or anything, I plopped her down in the garage and we walked right inside.

What could be causing this? Is she scared of something? Once she's inside she is perfectly fine! I use alot of positive reinforcment... no scolding. Any help?? Thank you

·
Registered
880 Posts
We did have a friend over Friday night for a quiet evening (she didn't like him) and my husbands brother was here yesterday and she was being sweet with him... perhaps that caused the change in behavior?

It breaks my heart. We were on a long walk today and I had to literally drag her down the street.. I didn't know what else to do. When we got to our driveway I just picked her up and carried her. (She's 50 lbs) She actually didn't mind that at all.. didn't struggle or anything, I plopped her down in the garage and we walked right inside.

What could be causing this? Is she scared of something? Once she's inside she is perfectly fine! I use a lot of positive reinforcement... no scolding. Any help?? Thank you
This sounds like the problem to me. It is what happens with my reactive dog. I call it "the slink", he "slinks" around for the next couple hours/days after people after been at the house afraid that they will pop out of the walls,doorways, etc. If you can try going in through a different entrance sometimes this helps.

For Trucker who is highly reactive, it just takes time for him to realive the no one is in "his house" but the people he trusts. I am 100% willing to carry my boy (all 62lbs of him) through a doorway if that is what it takes to make him comfortable. Some times holding his leash really short (so his body is touching my leg) and talking to him so his eyes are facing me as we walk and handing him small treats as we walk through the door works. Changing our route sometimes works. But there are times that nothing works until he works though it on his own.

I don't know if it is possible for you to leave the door open for a little while and let her have the opportunity to freely exit the doorway to the yard (you did say it was fenced?). This was how Trucker worked it out on his own. I was sitting outside in the back yard and he pushed open the storm door and just strolled out, realized what I was doing was boring and walked right back in. So potentially (even though it is cold outside) letting the door stay open for an hour or 2 and letting here have the chance to explore it at her own pace with no one watching might accomplish what you want.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the replys. Yes Ive left the back door open, and she comes in easier from there, its coming in from the walk thats most difficult. I will just try to keep working with her, and I'm going to assume it was the people that were here!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts