Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 weeks ago we added a new dog to our little family, Stitch a 13 yr old border collie mix. She's a really great dog, definitely the easiest "new dog" we have ever had. Fully potty trained, well mannered, doesn't chew anything up, sleeps through the night, etc. I was concerned with how she would do in a new home considering everything she has been through but it really was a seamless transition. She grew attached to me instantly and was following me room to room within hours of being home.
She has a lot of energy for her age (at least more than I expected, but its a good thing!). She does have arthritis and is stiff at times but once she gets up and going she wants to go go go. She loves going on walks and car rides and does the cutest play bows and spins in circles when she gets excited she even got the zoomies the other day when I got home from work. Despite being sharp in the mind and wanting to go go go she is still 13 and she just can't do everything that my younger dogs do- both physically and socially (she can be a bit of a crabby old lady towards other dogs). I try to include her on our outings as much as possible but sometimes its an activity that just isn't suitable for her and she has to stay home by herself- which she thinks is the worst thing ever.

When she is home by herself she barks, paws at the door, and gets herself all worked up. I try to make our leaving not a big ordeal, I just quietly leash the other dogs and slip quickly out the door but she still notices. I always try to take her on a walk beforehand and I leave her with a variety of tasty treats/chews to try to keep her occupied (bully sticks, stinky rolled fish skin chew things, cow ears, dental chews, pb stuffed kong, etc etc) but she doesn't touch them even though these are things she likes to have when I'm home.
I just don't know what else to do. I feel bad that she gets so upset being left out, but then again it's not fair to my other dogs if we were only to do things that Stitch can do (i.e. no more long hikes, no more going running, no more dog park). Any advice for what to do in this situation? I just don't know what to do, I just want all my pups to be happy :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
It definitely sounds like separation anxiety. What does your vet say? Do you make a fuss when you come back? I think you should ignore her when you return so she is not rewarded for this behavior. If she's not chewing things up or being otherwise destructive while you're gone, then just let her be upset. She'll probably get over it. But I'm no expert :) We have a puppy that whines, scratches and barks when we put her outside too long, or if we go away and leave her in the bedroom, or any time we close the door between her and us. We just ignore her unless it's night time and she's barking outside...we don't want to annoy the neighbors. We don't make a fuss when we return because she sometimes is prone to peeing if she gets too excited. I think in time, she'll figure out that it's ok...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts