Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I recently adopted a dog (she's a shih-tzu mix, about one year old) from a shelter about a week and a half ago. She was a stray before, and had only been in the shelter about a week before I got her. Unfortunately, I adopted her a week before I moved out of town, and now I'm trying to get her to settle into our new place. I've been trying to kennel her as little as possible (only when I leave), but she has pretty bad separation anxiety and kennel anxiety (she whines, barks, and digs at her crate pad. She hasn't injured herself, but I'm afraid she will). If I'm in the same room as her and she's in the kennel, she'll claw and whine until I let her out. I have tried traditional crate training methods with her, but she's uninterested in toys (even those stuffed with treats; but she will eat treats alone), and she is reluctant to explore the crate by herself (even if I'm in the same room as her and the kennel, she likes to be right beside the couch or on it with me). If I leave her in a room alone, she'll bark and whine, even if I'm still in the house. She even follows me from room to room. How can I break her of her dependency on me and properly kennel train her? I hate leaving her in the kennel while she panics, but I have to do so for short times when I have to run errands (the house isn't fully moved in yet, so I'm hesitant to leave her in a room alone, in case she finds her way into something dangerous). I will also be going back to school soon, so she'll be alone for around 4-5 hours on some days, and I would hate for her to panic the entire time I'm away. Any advice is appreciated!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.