Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm doing a project, seeing if their is a link between a dogs unwanted behaviour and allowing them privileges like sleeping on the bed. Please can you complete the survey, its only 12 questions. Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
What is the purpose of your survey please?

And, if correlation doesn't necessarily indicate causality, how do you plan to evidence any link between the 'privileges' and 'unwanted behaviour', based on only 12 questions (of which several are about owner demographic such as gender and age)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
The survey is just a general overview comparing different factors, such as having children makes it harder to be stricter with the dog, the demographic age is to compare the differences, such as an older person maybe stricter than a younger person with a family. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
Hi,
I'm doing a project, seeing if their is a link between a dogs unwanted behaviour and allowing them privileges like sleeping on the bed. Please can you complete the survey, its only 12 questions. Thanks so much.
Are you trying to post this link on Pet Forums, too? Because if so, I can use this link to post there (I'm LinznMilly on there).

However, having looked at the survey, in addition to @JoanneF 's concerns above, I've also got concerns.

1). The participant's age and gender.
Some people are a bit reluctant to give their actual age. Changing that question to age range might be better. And why is it a required question? Same goes for gender. Not everyone identifies as male or female anymore, and not everyone is comfortable with others knowing. Switching these questions to the same tick box format as most of the rest of the survey and adding A Prefer Not to Say option is best for both questions.

2) Some people have more than 1 dog. This isn't reflected in your survey, meaning owners of multiple dogs either choose which dog they fill the survey in for, or fill it in multiple times. Is there a way to allow for more than 1 dog?

3). Question 8. "If you have children...". What if we don't? Where's that question?

4). Questions 9 and 10 should be multiple choice. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback, you are totally correct and i am going to redo this survey, once ive done it can i come back to you? hopefully it will be better lol Thanks

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback, you are totally correct and i am going to redo this survey, once ive done it can i come back to you? hopefully it will be better lol Thanks
By all means!

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
OK, I've looked at it. I haven't filled it in, but I can categorically tell you that there's no link between those "privileges" and the few unwanted behaviours you mention.

A dog who is destructive when left is suffering from separation anxiety - nothing at all to do with being fed scraps, or licking the plate clean, or being allowed on furniture, or having access to every room in the house.

A dog who jumps up at visitors is over-excited.

A dog who will eat food if the food is left unattended lacks impulse control.

A dog who doesn't come back when called when off lead has either not received proper training, learned that coming back to the handler is likely to mean end of walk/yelled at, or is having wayyyy too much fun doing what it's doing.

However, I said I'd post the link for you on PF, and I will.

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I've looked at it. I haven't filled it in, but I can categorically tell you that there's no link between those "privileges" and the few unwanted behaviours you mention.

A dog who is destructive when left is suffering from separation anxiety - nothing at all to do with being fed scraps, or licking the plate clean, or being allowed on furniture, or having access to every room in the house.

A dog who jumps up at visitors is over-excited.

A dog who will eat food if the food is left unattended lacks impulse control.

A dog who doesn't come back when called when off lead has either not received proper training, learned that coming back to the handler is likely to mean end of walk/yelled at, or is having wayyyy too much fun doing what it's doing.

However, I said I'd post the link for you on PF, and I will.
Thanks, i agree with you having 2 dogs myself and i have done a course on dog behaviour and training, this survey is to either prove or discredit the theory.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts