Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself to everyone on the dog forum and tell y'all a little bit about our (my boyfriend and I) new pup. We recently --as in two weeks ago!-- adopted a five month old shepherd mix at the animal shelter and we love him already, however he has a few things besides basic training that we need to work with. The day we brought him home, we gave him a treat and as I pet him I immediately discovered he was food aggressive. He does the hard stare, and then growls. The only time he has snapped was the first time we gave him a treat, after that I began reading on how to solve this issue.
I've read a thread on here about RG and have begun to follow the advice of feeding all meals by hand (only when he makes eye contact with me) and when giving him treats, to give him other treats to work up to trading them. I've done this for about a week and he is definitely a fast learner, but we seemed to take a step back today when he growled at me while I was treating him to get closer to his dental stick I had just given him. I'm continuing to go slow with this and I understand that everyone has setbacks but I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything right. Does anyone else have any other advice? Thank you!

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Until he is better, I would probably not give him anything that takes him awhile to eat, honestly. No chewies or sticks. Only kibble or small treats for now. :) Also, if you can play some trading games with things he DOESN'T guard, like toys, it might help him learn that you taking things from him is good (can't remember if the sticky goes into that). Basically trade him a toy he is playing with with something WAY better (a piece of hotdog or something), then give him the toy back. You progressively trade higher value things with him. Have you read Mine! A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs? I highly recommend it.

Also, WELCOME! :D

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Sounds like you are making some progress which is great, but I would also suggest everything that Seebrown did.:)

Definitely consider getting your hands on a copy of Mine.
And here is a video showing just one version of a trading game.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the valuable advice! I'll stop feeding him the dental sticks and start trading things with him. I'm excited to be here and will have to post a picture of him. Have a great day :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts