Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
Hello and welcome. What is it you need help with? The more detail you can give, the better people will be able to work out what’s happening and how to fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I have a Jack Russell Terrier mixed. She is 4 years old. We have been brushing her every day and she just
constantly sheds. I'm just concerned that there is. something to this. Please help.

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
I’m going to move your post to dog health, it might get better attention there. Jack Russells will shed, do you think she sheds more than she ought to? When you look at her coat, does her hair look thin or patchy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No not really. We adopted her in September.
She is a really good dog. She just sheds alot.
We keep her on a good diet. We do not feed her from the table or give her human food. She has no problems as far as going to the bathroom. Than you.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I have known Jack Russels to shed a very great deal, although i do not think they all do.

You might have a vet take a look at her to see if there's anything they can see. that is the first thing to check, in case there's a medical issue or allergy. Also you can try adding salmon oil to her diet. It will be good for her in any case, and a spoon full on her food might hep her coat.
It's possible that she won't always shed this badly as time goes on. What kind of brush are you using? That might make a difference.

Also, I don't know what the actual amount is that you refer to. Dogs shed, or at least most breeds do. If you are not used to having a dog in the house, it may seem like a lot to you when it is actually a normal amount.

If she is leaving a solid coating of hair on everything she sits or lies on for even a few minutes, and leaving you similarly coated if you hold her, and hair comes off in large amounts when you stroke her, then that is a lot. If you notice some hair on the floor or couch or her bed and have to sweep or vacuum more often, that is probably normal and you will just need to get used to it. From what you say it is not possible to tell which this is.

·
Registered
Gary - Purebred Mutt
437 Posts
You mentioned that she is mixed. I'd say that would likely have a lot to do with it as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really don't know. I was told it could be allergies she has. I am going to talk to my vetenarian. Hopefully he can shed some light on this issue. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts