Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Year, New Foster!

13K views 114 replies 11 participants last post by  Teaswizzler 
#1 ·
Happy New Year to me! Last night this beautiful what I believe to be Great Pyrenees/Golden girl found herself in a shelter and in need of rescue, she is heavily pregnant and completely terrified, half feral. Her owners died and she was left to fend for herself with another dog who is the father of the pups, (also a Great Pyrenees) for roughly 4 months time, got pregnant earlier this year, then finds herself there once again now. While terrified she is not mean, just tries to hide. Please say a prayer if you would that she waits a few days before having the babies so I have some time to bond with her, that is my biggest worry currently is how she will react when they come since she is so fearful. Name and more photos to come! I got her last evening quite unexpectedly, I left within minutes of learning about her because of the holiday we had to rush to get her before the shelter closed, she is close enough they were afraid she might have them alone in the shelter.

She ate and drank some overnight as I figured she would once everyone had gone to bed and it was completely quiet. She still refuses to lay on the dog bed, always over in the corner on the floor, but she will learn in time, after being on her own so long, I am sure laying on a bed is completely alien to her. Last night I left her be for the most part, just quietly sitting in there every few hours for 5-10mins. This morning I have been working on getting her used to me touching her, and after only a couple times of this, she allowed me to pet her head without trying to turn her back to me or flinching as she often does right now, and she also allowed me to get a collar on her, that's an amazing amount of progress for the first day! Since she will let me touch her I go in there for a few minutes and pet or brush her, always waiting until she relaxes as much as possible before leaving again, I want her to connect that feeling of relaxation with my presence. Though I am being careful to not push her too hard, I am pushing more than I would normally because there just isn't much time, she needs to get used to me touching her and being around her for when the pups come. Her expression and body language have softened as you can see from the photo and she is more alert now. She allowed me to pet her belly earlier and those babies are kicking up a storm in there, I think she is going to have a big litter.

See less See more
#67 ·
Happy 5 Weeks Old! This week seems to have just raced by, and it really hit me today that I only have around four weeks left with my babies ? I keep telling them they need to stop growing up already, time flies so quickly! Next week will begin the craziness as they are listed to get apps pre-approved for their adoptions, there are already a couple approved families. I know once listed it won't take long for each to have an excited family waiting for them when the time comes... and though I am excited for them, I just hate to think about it right now, I want them to stay my babies just a little longer, but time doesn't stop for anyone, it's so bittersweet! I watch with pride as they grow big and strong, and as their little, or not so little, selves that they are come into view! I can tell all 11 apart now by their looks and personalities, each is so special ?

Blitz: 5lbs

Bucky: 4.12lbs

Cadence: 5.8lbs

Draft: 5.5lbs

Fiesta: 5.12lbs

Hitch: 5.2lbs

Leah: 5.4lbs

Liberty: 7.3lbs

Price: 5.12lbs

Tori: 4.13lbs

#69 ·
I love seeing these handsome, healthy pups! Do you realize that it's been just three weeks since you were concerned that not all of them would make it? It's amazing how quickly they've not only regained their health but started thriving and growing like weeds! The video of the hanging toys is so much fun, and my heart sang when you described feeling "complete joy!"

Sorry it's taken so long for me to post. I've been spending a lot of time of this site in the past couple of days, not posting, but learning how to work the knobs. Rain, JoanneF, and I are now moderators. Mainly, I've been working by the scenes to create a better forum experience. Wish us well, and I hope that everyone can give their suggestions!

#70 ·
Yes, I was just thinking about that a few days ago! They have come so far after such a rough start. Little fighters!

That's awesome, congrats to you guys! I honestly really like the new forum.

#71 ·
Sorry for being so up and down with posting updates. These little sweethearts had a big day full of visitors yesterday! Price and Leah are adopted, and the rest get listed today, so won't be long before they all have families lined up. They are doing so well with their potty training, will transition them back to their full sleeping area soon. They are different than any litter I have had before because they actually don't mind going out in the rain to potty, which is a relief considering this nasty weather we are having. They hate the cold, but are okay with everything else it seems. They are slow maturing, and so low energy compared to others, which is common of the breed they are. They still sleep up to 4 hours at a time during the day, and only play for about 30mins at a time before they need a nap, past litters would have been up to 1-2 hours of play by this point. This is why treating them as individuals is so important and moving at their pace, not mine.

One of the biggest things I have noticed with this litter is how fearful they can be at times, though I have done everything the same as with every litter, they are simply more fearful, take longer to warm up, etc. Since their mom was half feral, and dad was the same, or completely feral, that introduces the possibility of genetic fearfulness, which you can only fight so far, along with the extremely rough start and me not being able to handle them as much as young. This is not to say they will be bad dogs as they will not, it's just something that is a fact for them, and will need continued work, and as with any puppy, lots of continued socialization. They have been going in and out of fear periods much more than other litters, but once they aren't growing quite so quick and having so many changes happening all at once developmentally, they will settle out well I feel. They are the sweetest babies, and just so kind and gentle!

#72 ·
Scrumptious :) I was wondering about the effects of stress on the mum during pregnancy, and found this article: How a Mother's Stress Can Influence Unborn Puppies - Whole Dog Journal (I worry now that makes me sound like a spammer....). I'm sure you're already aware of this as you have such a wealth of experience, but thought others might find it interesting.

#73 ·
Scrumptious :) I was wondering about the effects of stress on the mum during pregnancy, and found this article: How a Mother's Stress Can Influence Unborn Puppies - Whole Dog Journal (I worry now that makes me sound like a spammer....). I'm sure you're already aware of this as you have such a wealth of experience, but thought others might find it interesting.
Yep, I do know about this, and yes it is very interesting. How stressed the mother is can for sure directly affect the pups after they are born!

#74 ·
I think I fell in love with Fiesta in her last photo update... she looks so fluffy...even her ears have hair sticking out and about...lol. I love all of them...what a gorgeous bunch of puppies. I hope the 'golden' in them will help with any fearfulness they have...goldens are usually pretty confident, friendly dogs... 'people' dogs. At least that's my experience with both HaHa and AU.

I'm so glad this litter of pups landed in your home, given how tense their mama was, and also her inexperience/non caring attitude toward her brood.

I wish I could get in her more often, but I am hoping things will settle down in another month.
The updates on the puppies and the photos, have helped me smile on some days when I didn't think that would be possible. Thanks for posting them.

Stormy

Reactions: SusanLynn
#75 ·
I'm sorry that they are more fearful then other litters have been, but I know that they have gotten the best start they could have possibly had given the circumstances. They are very lucky pups to have ended up in your home.

Could the fearfulness be due to the pyre in their mix? I know that they, as a breed, tend to be careful, and wary.

#76 ·
Good morning from the best babies ever! ? This is what happened when I walked in this morning. I had active, hungry, excited to see me puppies, but you know what? They still had manners, every single one of them sat down and gave me eye contact before being let out, because I expect it of them. And you know what? They love that I do, their faces light up every time I praise them for a job well done, they know they have pleased their person. I am not raising "babies" or "puppies" I am raising dogs, and ones who will be huge at that. Whether 6 weeks, or 6 months every dog should have rules and boundaries, and be expected to follow them. My work is not that of miracles, everyone can have the same results if they follow through and keep a consistent schedule. The biggest mistake I see with pretty much every person I have ever seen who raises puppies is they fail to treat them like the intelligent beings they are, they coo and coddle them, they suppress the potential that is just waiting to come out. Treat them like intelligent, able to learn beings from the youngest age, and you will be surprised by just how much they can learn!

#77 ·
Here I am counting all eleven puppies, making sure that everyone is there! I expect that your work with them has already done much to mitigate the effects of their mother's lack of nurturing.

When Rose gave birth and wouldn't let you near her puppies and then started to reject them, I was really concerned about how much stress you were experiencing. It just seemed like one setback after another. You always seem to persevere, though, and now you have these incredible puppies almost ready to go home to their new families. You have worked a miracle.

Any news on how Rose is doing as a barn dog?

#80 ·
Here I am counting all eleven puppies, making sure that everyone is there! I expect that your work with them has already done much to mitigate the effects of their mother's lack of nurturing.

When Rose gave birth and wouldn't let you near her puppies and then started to reject them, I was really concerned about how much stress you were experiencing. It just seemed like one setback after another. You always seem to persevere, though, and now you have these incredible puppies almost ready to go home to their new families. You have worked a miracle.

Any news on how Rose is doing as a barn dog?
They are doing so well! I do still see a lot of fear behavior out of them at times, but that's just something we are working through. It was, and I was stressed to the max, I will tell you that! It has been so wonderful to be there for them.

#81 ·
Crate introduction, this is where it all leads! Thought I would film a little look into a normal feeding time. Be sure to check out each clip for a description of what's going on. :)

Waiting their turn to be picked. I take them out and set them down a bit from the crates so they can run in on their own. No jumping, no crying. Politely sitting and giving me eye contact. Beautiful self control displayed by all!

A look at all of them eating, quiet, mannerly, and happy!

Example of what it looks like for all of them, but only with one in this case to save time and make it possible to film since I only had one hand. Tori runs into the crate on her own, and notice if you will the excellent eye contact she gives me while waiting for her food, which I reward by going and getting her bowl. Polite and calm behind the closed door waiting for food to come.

Draft showing off the skills I instill, and expect from all of them, remember having expectations of them is very important, grows their mind, body, and produces puppies who want to learn and please! He was finished eating and wanting out. He instantly went into a sit and gave me eye contact to ask out, no jumping or crying. I replace the natural crying and whining behavior they are born with, with a strong instinct to sit and be mannerly when they want something. This goes for everything from food, to wanting out to play, to getting pets.

Showing their calmness even if I wait a few minutes before opening the door. Fiesta was happy to just chill while waiting to get out, along with her sister Wynn in the cage next to her. Notice how Wynn gave good eye contact, and how I waited to move in to open the door until she took her paw down. I do not allow or encourage any kind of digging at the cage to get out, and while she was not doing that and was calm, I simply wait until she has returned to a full sitting position before opening so nothing has a chance to form in her mind that putting her paws on the bars will get her out.

#83 ·
Happy 7 Weeks Old! When I say they are growing like weeds, I am not kidding. Right now they are going through a bit over 8lbs of food a day, 33 cups, and a full bag every 4ish days. They are gaining 3-4lbs weekly, and keep in mind they are only 7 weeks old ?? My biggest litter before these guys was a group of GSD mixes, Liberty is measuring a week bigger than that litter who are now mostly 70lbs and over! She is going to be 100lbs plus for sure, most of the others probably 70lbs plus, with the smaller maybe staying in the 60ish range. As it is right now, Liberty is most likely going to be over 20lbs by adoption day.

It has been a crazy last few days as the apps are being worked with, and let me tell you there were a ton! As of right now everyone has a good app, refs and home visits are in the process, so if all that checks out, and no one backs out, this litter is adopted. It's been a crazy journey, and as sad as I feel knowing I only have about two weeks left with my babies, I am grateful we have made it to this point with all 11 healthy and happy, there was a time when I wasn't sure it would be for all of them.

Blitz: 11.1lb

Bucky: 9.2lbs

Cadence: 10.8lbs

Draft: 11.2lbs

Fiesta: 11.1lbs

Hitch: 9.9lbs. My ever handsome boy!

Leah: 9.10lbs

Liberty: 13.12lbs

Price: 11.2lbs

Tori: 9.11lbs

#85 ·
Good morning from most of the babies, (some were outside going potty). Thought I would share something that happened yesterday, a success story if you will. Hitch's family came to visit him yesterday, just over a week ago, another family had come to pick between Hitch a two others for their new family member, and Hitch was so fearful and reserved he wouldn't even approach them for a full 10-20mins. After that I started working with him, and yesterday evening saw the results. As soon as he saw the people who will become his family, he instantly went right up to the three of them and was all tail wags and kisses like he is with me. I was so proud watching as he boldly interacted with them and not a sign of the fear that was so real before. He was all about showing off, playing, sitting in laps, offering lots of eye contact and sitting in front of them, and sitting on command when asked which charmed them, haha. Towards the end of the visit, he was getting tired, and instead of just going and laying down somewhere, he walked over to me, sat down and looked me directly in the eyes, then looked over at the door which leads back towards his sleeping area, he was asking me to take him back because he was tired! And this you guys, is why I teach sit and eye contact, I am not just teaching manners, I am giving my puppies a voice.

#86 ·
It's so exciting to see them ready to belong members of their new families. Do you have adoptive families coming from outside your area? I would imagine that you and your rescue have made a name for yourselves in having such wonderful puppies.

Between visits, how did you help Hitch overcome his fear and reservation? Did you have others show up so that expose him to new people and reward him for positive interactions with them?

Any news regarding Rose and how she is faring?.

#88 ·
Yes, we do sometimes have out of state adoptions, this litter one of the families will be driving 11 hours one way to pick up their pup.

Yes, introducing new people, and lots of confidence building exercises to help him. A lot of it was just allowing him to continue to mature too, he is doing so well now, and all of them are improving and becoming less fearful all the time with more work and growing.

Nothing recently no, I honestly don't expect much, if any change out of her.

QUOTE="StormyPeak, post: 3630418, member: 51041"]
If you ever make a calendar of the litters you've fostered, gems of knowledge like this, would be a good thing to add. The shelter should even try funding a book based upon your observations with a few photos in it...that people adopting puppies should get as a part of the adoption fee.

I'm so glad this litter went from having so many issues to one that is now well on the path of being more normal in their responses to things around them, especially in being social when it comes to meeting new people.

I just love your threads about the litters, and am always saddened to have to say good-bye to them, so I can only imagine how it must be for you... the word bittersweet is about the best one to use, but I wonder if it's still is a strong enough word to describe the emotions in having to say good bye to each litter.

I keep hoping I'll get more time to come in here more often...hoping March will be the month when life goes back to being a bit more like normal. : )

Stormy
[/QUOTE]

Great idea! That would be fun.

Honestly, most times it isn't. I really don't talk about it much, but it is so hard saying goodbye, harder than I ever let on.

Reactions: StormyPeak
#87 ·
LoveMyFosters: .............The biggest mistake I see with pretty much every person I have ever seen who raises puppies is they fail to treat them like the intelligent beings they are, they coo and coddle them, they suppress the potential that is just waiting to come out. Treat them like intelligent, able to learn beings from the youngest age, and you will be surprised by just how much they can learn!
If you ever make a calendar of the litters you've fostered, gems of knowledge like this, would be a good thing to add. The shelter should even try funding a book based upon your observations with a few photos in it...that people adopting puppies should get as a part of the adoption fee.

I'm so glad this litter went from having so many issues to one that is now well on the path of being more normal in their responses to things around them, especially in being social when it comes to meeting new people.

I just love your threads about the litters, and am always saddened to have to say good-bye to them, so I can only imagine how it must be for you... the word bittersweet is about the best one to use, but I wonder if it's still is a strong enough word to describe the emotions in having to say good bye to each litter.

I keep hoping I'll get more time to come in here more often...hoping March will be the month when life goes back to being a bit more like normal. : )

Stormy

Reactions: SusanLynn
#89 ·
"No", a small word with huge impact. This is a little clip into the daily happenings, as you will see throughout the video I give a couple corrections, so I thought it was a fitting topic. My puppies know exactly what I mean when I tell them to stop doing something, whether I say no, or something else they listen, why? Because one, from the youngest age they have been given a foundation of obedience, focusing on people, and wanting to please them. Two, because they know I mean it, and they also know if they don't stop, I will back up my words by coming over and removing them from the area, or taking whatever they have away. Dogs are incredibly smart, and if you don't mean it, they will quickly pick up on this fact and stop listening to you. People blame the dogs for their bad behavior, when in fact the dog is nothing more than the victim, overindulgence and lack of training leaves a dog frustrated, so they act out because of it. So many people I see nowadays seem to think discipline is a bad thing, they envision someone hitting a dog or yelling at them, and that is complete and udder nonsense. As shown when a dog respects you and knows what you expect of them, you don't even have to move. If someone says, "you can't have nice things with a dog" it's time for them to rethink their training, you can absolutely have nice things with a dog. I have a whole herd of active, teething puppies who run around my house throughout the day, this doesn't stop me from having nice things, nor having things within reach. Discipline your dogs, have expectations, supervise and give them structure. I can guarantee you will see a night and day difference!

Reactions: Rain and SusanLynn
#93 ·
I read the entire thread last night. Wow!
I've always been interested in watching people who are really good at their jobs work. What is a real treat is when
someone very skilled takes on a new challenge and launches into unknown territory.
You do beautiful work, LMF. An artist with dogs.
Thanks for sharing this adventure with us. You are an inspiration to everyone who wants to give their dog a voice.

#94 ·
I read the entire thread last night. Wow!
I've always been interested in watching people who are really good at their jobs work. What is a real treat is when
someone very skilled takes on a new challenge and launches into unknown territory.
You do beautiful work, LMF. An artist with dogs.
Thanks for sharing this adventure with us. You are an inspiration to everyone who wants to give their dog a voice.
Thank you for your kind words! Glad you are enjoying following along!

Reactions: Tuckersmom
#95 ·
Happy 8 Weeks Old! Once again another week has flown by, time just seems to be racing, as these last three weeks before adoption always do for me. The babies have entered the puppy equivalent of the terrible twos, lol. I don't know what the science behind it is, if there is any at all, but every litter around 7-8 weeks will enter a week or so long period where they seem to forget everything they have ever been taught, they test every boundary, forget they were ever mostly house trained, and get into trouble constantly. During this time I always tighten up everything and stay extra structured with them to prevent the development of unwanted behaviors, soon enough it will pass and they will return to normal.

In other news, I have been working with all of them, Blitz in particular, on fearful behavior, and they just continue to improve in their boldness! I had introduced a toy that lights up and makes noise when they were tiny, and at that point I had removed it because they were all terrified of it, but just yesterday evening I brought it back out, and the not only was everyone all over playing with it, but Blitz was the first one to run right over! So proud of all of them, and him with how far he has come from the pup so afraid he would shutdown at the slightest thing. While I can for sure tell there is a genetic component, and that will always be with them, they continue to gain confidence in all areas and are maturing so nicely!
Only 5 are adopted so far, we have had many apps fall through oddly enough as of late. We continue to work on finding the remaining the best homes possible! Leah and Hitch will remain with me until the 20th, then they go home to their new families.

I am absolutely in love with my huge herd of babies, smart, outgoing, and so sweet! This is just an amazing litter. My little fighters!

Blitz: 13.15lbs

Bucky: 11.13lbs

Cadence: 13.11lbs

Draft: 14.7lbs

Fiesta: 14lbs

Hitch: 12.3lbs

Leah: 12.2lbs

Liberty: 17.1lbs

Price: 14.4lbs

Tori: 12.9lbs.

Reactions: Tuckersmom
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.