Dog Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Crate introduction, this is where it all leads! Thought I would film a little look into a normal feeding time. Be sure to check out each clip for a description of what's going on. :)

Waiting their turn to be picked. I take them out and set them down a bit from the crates so they can run in on their own. No jumping, no crying. Politely sitting and giving me eye contact. Beautiful self control displayed by all!

A look at all of them eating, quiet, mannerly, and happy!

Example of what it looks like for all of them, but only with one in this case to save time and make it possible to film since I only had one hand. Tori runs into the crate on her own, and notice if you will the excellent eye contact she gives me while waiting for her food, which I reward by going and getting her bowl. Polite and calm behind the closed door waiting for food to come.

Draft showing off the skills I instill, and expect from all of them, remember having expectations of them is very important, grows their mind, body, and produces puppies who want to learn and please! He was finished eating and wanting out. He instantly went into a sit and gave me eye contact to ask out, no jumping or crying. I replace the natural crying and whining behavior they are born with, with a strong instinct to sit and be mannerly when they want something. This goes for everything from food, to wanting out to play, to getting pets.

Showing their calmness even if I wait a few minutes before opening the door. Fiesta was happy to just chill while waiting to get out, along with her sister Wynn in the cage next to her. Notice how Wynn gave good eye contact, and how I waited to move in to open the door until she took her paw down. I do not allow or encourage any kind of digging at the cage to get out, and while she was not doing that and was calm, I simply wait until she has returned to a full sitting position before opening so nothing has a chance to form in her mind that putting her paws on the bars will get her out.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Happy 7 Weeks Old! When I say they are growing like weeds, I am not kidding. Right now they are going through a bit over 8lbs of food a day, 33 cups, and a full bag every 4ish days. They are gaining 3-4lbs weekly, and keep in mind they are only 7 weeks old 😂😳 My biggest litter before these guys was a group of GSD mixes, Liberty is measuring a week bigger than that litter who are now mostly 70lbs and over! She is going to be 100lbs plus for sure, most of the others probably 70lbs plus, with the smaller maybe staying in the 60ish range. As it is right now, Liberty is most likely going to be over 20lbs by adoption day.

It has been a crazy last few days as the apps are being worked with, and let me tell you there were a ton! As of right now everyone has a good app, refs and home visits are in the process, so if all that checks out, and no one backs out, this litter is adopted. It's been a crazy journey, and as sad as I feel knowing I only have about two weeks left with my babies, I am grateful we have made it to this point with all 11 healthy and happy, there was a time when I wasn't sure it would be for all of them.

Blitz: 11.1lb

Bucky: 9.2lbs

Cadence: 10.8lbs

Draft: 11.2lbs

Fiesta: 11.1lbs

Hitch: 9.9lbs. My ever handsome boy!

Leah: 9.10lbs

Liberty: 13.12lbs

Price: 11.2lbs

Tori: 9.11lbs

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Good morning from most of the babies, (some were outside going potty). Thought I would share something that happened yesterday, a success story if you will. Hitch's family came to visit him yesterday, just over a week ago, another family had come to pick between Hitch a two others for their new family member, and Hitch was so fearful and reserved he wouldn't even approach them for a full 10-20mins. After that I started working with him, and yesterday evening saw the results. As soon as he saw the people who will become his family, he instantly went right up to the three of them and was all tail wags and kisses like he is with me. I was so proud watching as he boldly interacted with them and not a sign of the fear that was so real before. He was all about showing off, playing, sitting in laps, offering lots of eye contact and sitting in front of them, and sitting on command when asked which charmed them, haha. Towards the end of the visit, he was getting tired, and instead of just going and laying down somewhere, he walked over to me, sat down and looked me directly in the eyes, then looked over at the door which leads back towards his sleeping area, he was asking me to take him back because he was tired! And this you guys, is why I teach sit and eye contact, I am not just teaching manners, I am giving my puppies a voice.

·
Super Moderator
3,577 Posts
It's so exciting to see them ready to belong members of their new families. Do you have adoptive families coming from outside your area? I would imagine that you and your rescue have made a name for yourselves in having such wonderful puppies.

Between visits, how did you help Hitch overcome his fear and reservation? Did you have others show up so that expose him to new people and reward him for positive interactions with them?

Any news regarding Rose and how she is faring?.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts