Dog Forum banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,664 Posts
I know, right? LoveMyFosters is the best foster mom ever! We've enjoyed seeing her raise countless litters over the years, and I've learned so much about taking care of moms and their puppies. Anyone who adopts one of her puppies is going to have a best friend for life.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Such lucky, lucky pups :)
I know, right? LoveMyFosters is the best foster mom ever! We've enjoyed seeing her raise countless litters over the years, and I've learned so much about taking care of moms and their puppies. Anyone who adopts one of her puppies is going to have a best friend for life.
Thank you both for your kind words! ?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Two posts in one today!

The latest invention comes to the puppy house! Once the pups are around 4 weeks old the play mat becomes too small for them, but I wanted to find a way for them to still enjoy multiple hanging toys. This was originally the guard off the heat lamp, which I never use since I hang the lamp straight down and it never comes in contact with anything, Bent the ends around so I could hang clips off it, and instant puppy toy hanger! They love it and I can change out the toys at will, which keeps things interesting for them.

Could they get any cuter!? I seriously can't with these faces, they really do get more adorable by the day, and the photo! I was sitting in a pile of puppies this morning giggling like a fool as they attacked me with kisses and tail wags and it really hit me how amazing it is to finally feel complete joy, it just felt so good to sit there and soak it all up with nothing hanging over me, no worry or stress for them, just a girl and her puppies!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Happy 5 Weeks Old! This week seems to have just raced by, and it really hit me today that I only have around four weeks left with my babies ? I keep telling them they need to stop growing up already, time flies so quickly! Next week will begin the craziness as they are listed to get apps pre-approved for their adoptions, there are already a couple approved families. I know once listed it won't take long for each to have an excited family waiting for them when the time comes... and though I am excited for them, I just hate to think about it right now, I want them to stay my babies just a little longer, but time doesn't stop for anyone, it's so bittersweet! I watch with pride as they grow big and strong, and as their little, or not so little, selves that they are come into view! I can tell all 11 apart now by their looks and personalities, each is so special ?

Blitz: 5lbs

Bucky: 4.12lbs

Cadence: 5.8lbs

Draft: 5.5lbs

Fiesta: 5.12lbs

Hitch: 5.2lbs

Leah: 5.4lbs

Liberty: 7.3lbs

Price: 5.12lbs

Tori: 4.13lbs

·
Super Moderator
3,664 Posts
I love seeing these handsome, healthy pups! Do you realize that it's been just three weeks since you were concerned that not all of them would make it? It's amazing how quickly they've not only regained their health but started thriving and growing like weeds! The video of the hanging toys is so much fun, and my heart sang when you described feeling "complete joy!"

Sorry it's taken so long for me to post. I've been spending a lot of time of this site in the past couple of days, not posting, but learning how to work the knobs. Rain, JoanneF, and I are now moderators. Mainly, I've been working by the scenes to create a better forum experience. Wish us well, and I hope that everyone can give their suggestions!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I love seeing these handsome, healthy pups! Do you realize that it's been just three weeks since you were concerned that not all of them would make it? It's amazing how quickly they've not only regained their health but started thriving and growing like weeds! The video of the hanging toys is so much fun, and my heart sang when you described feeling "complete joy!"

Sorry it's taken so long for me to post. I've been spending a lot of time of this site in the past couple of days, not posting, but learning how to work the knobs. Rain, JoanneF, and I are now moderators. Mainly, I've been working by the scenes to create a better forum experience. Wish us well, and I hope that everyone can give their suggestions!
Yes, I was just thinking about that a few days ago! They have come so far after such a rough start. Little fighters!

That's awesome, congrats to you guys! I honestly really like the new forum.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Sorry for being so up and down with posting updates. These little sweethearts had a big day full of visitors yesterday! Price and Leah are adopted, and the rest get listed today, so won't be long before they all have families lined up. They are doing so well with their potty training, will transition them back to their full sleeping area soon. They are different than any litter I have had before because they actually don't mind going out in the rain to potty, which is a relief considering this nasty weather we are having. They hate the cold, but are okay with everything else it seems. They are slow maturing, and so low energy compared to others, which is common of the breed they are. They still sleep up to 4 hours at a time during the day, and only play for about 30mins at a time before they need a nap, past litters would have been up to 1-2 hours of play by this point. This is why treating them as individuals is so important and moving at their pace, not mine.

One of the biggest things I have noticed with this litter is how fearful they can be at times, though I have done everything the same as with every litter, they are simply more fearful, take longer to warm up, etc. Since their mom was half feral, and dad was the same, or completely feral, that introduces the possibility of genetic fearfulness, which you can only fight so far, along with the extremely rough start and me not being able to handle them as much as young. This is not to say they will be bad dogs as they will not, it's just something that is a fact for them, and will need continued work, and as with any puppy, lots of continued socialization. They have been going in and out of fear periods much more than other litters, but once they aren't growing quite so quick and having so many changes happening all at once developmentally, they will settle out well I feel. They are the sweetest babies, and just so kind and gentle!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Scrumptious :) I was wondering about the effects of stress on the mum during pregnancy, and found this article: How a Mother's Stress Can Influence Unborn Puppies - Whole Dog Journal (I worry now that makes me sound like a spammer....). I'm sure you're already aware of this as you have such a wealth of experience, but thought others might find it interesting.
Yep, I do know about this, and yes it is very interesting. How stressed the mother is can for sure directly affect the pups after they are born!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think I fell in love with Fiesta in her last photo update... she looks so fluffy...even her ears have hair sticking out and about...lol. I love all of them...what a gorgeous bunch of puppies. I hope the 'golden' in them will help with any fearfulness they have...goldens are usually pretty confident, friendly dogs... 'people' dogs. At least that's my experience with both HaHa and AU.

I'm so glad this litter of pups landed in your home, given how tense their mama was, and also her inexperience/non caring attitude toward her brood.

I wish I could get in her more often, but I am hoping things will settle down in another month.
The updates on the puppies and the photos, have helped me smile on some days when I didn't think that would be possible. Thanks for posting them.

Stormy

·
Super Moderator
10,773 Posts
I'm sorry that they are more fearful then other litters have been, but I know that they have gotten the best start they could have possibly had given the circumstances. They are very lucky pups to have ended up in your home.

Could the fearfulness be due to the pyre in their mix? I know that they, as a breed, tend to be careful, and wary.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Good morning from the best babies ever! ? This is what happened when I walked in this morning. I had active, hungry, excited to see me puppies, but you know what? They still had manners, every single one of them sat down and gave me eye contact before being let out, because I expect it of them. And you know what? They love that I do, their faces light up every time I praise them for a job well done, they know they have pleased their person. I am not raising "babies" or "puppies" I am raising dogs, and ones who will be huge at that. Whether 6 weeks, or 6 months every dog should have rules and boundaries, and be expected to follow them. My work is not that of miracles, everyone can have the same results if they follow through and keep a consistent schedule. The biggest mistake I see with pretty much every person I have ever seen who raises puppies is they fail to treat them like the intelligent beings they are, they coo and coddle them, they suppress the potential that is just waiting to come out. Treat them like intelligent, able to learn beings from the youngest age, and you will be surprised by just how much they can learn!

·
Super Moderator
3,664 Posts
Here I am counting all eleven puppies, making sure that everyone is there! I expect that your work with them has already done much to mitigate the effects of their mother's lack of nurturing.

When Rose gave birth and wouldn't let you near her puppies and then started to reject them, I was really concerned about how much stress you were experiencing. It just seemed like one setback after another. You always seem to persevere, though, and now you have these incredible puppies almost ready to go home to their new families. You have worked a miracle.

Any news on how Rose is doing as a barn dog?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Here I am counting all eleven puppies, making sure that everyone is there! I expect that your work with them has already done much to mitigate the effects of their mother's lack of nurturing.

When Rose gave birth and wouldn't let you near her puppies and then started to reject them, I was really concerned about how much stress you were experiencing. It just seemed like one setback after another. You always seem to persevere, though, and now you have these incredible puppies almost ready to go home to their new families. You have worked a miracle.

Any news on how Rose is doing as a barn dog?
They are doing so well! I do still see a lot of fear behavior out of them at times, but that's just something we are working through. It was, and I was stressed to the max, I will tell you that! It has been so wonderful to be there for them.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts