Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 12-week old puppy yesterday who is very well behaved (For a puppy) so must have had good foster care. Whines a bit in the crate but doesn't bark. A couple minor messes inside but she gone outside too.

Was happy to bring her home & play with her yesterday but found myself extremely anxious last night.

This morning I had extreme, panic level anxiety, and ended up leaving church early. Was tearful when I got home & felt like I was losing my mind.

Admittedly, I've dealt with anxious & depression in the past but haven't had any episodes in over a year.

Wondering if it was a bad idea to get her. Some 'buyer's remorse' but also some shame if I can't take care of a well behaved puppy! Wondering if it's because I live alone and was overwhelmed by a new change. Can't figure out what's wrong with me.

The good news is a family member lives near by so we've temporarily moved the dog & crate over there today and she's doing fine. I'm taking it easy at home trying to come down from whatever this is with me.

Is this even remotely normal? Is it possible to not be emotionally capable of taking care of an animal? Is that even possible? Or is it just time to adjust to this kind of change? I feel weird asking that to people who don't even know me but I'm little distraught and doubting my sanity. Anxiety & tears over a good dog. Maybe it's too much for me and I'm maxed out on what I can handle at this moment in my life. Fortunately the family member with her today loves her already & may be interested in having her if I can't get my act together.

Would love people's thoughts as long as you don't say anything mean. Beaten up myself enough.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I got a 12-week old puppy yesterday who is very well behaved (For a puppy) so must have had good foster care. Whines a bit in the crate but doesn't bark. A couple minor messes inside but she gone outside too.

Was happy to bring her home & play with her yesterday but found myself extremely anxious last night.

This morning I had extreme, panic level anxiety, and ended up leaving church early. Was tearful when I got home & felt like I was losing my mind.

Admittedly, I've dealt with anxious & depression in the past but haven't had any episodes in over a year.

Wondering if it was a bad idea to get her. Some 'buyer's remorse' but also some shame if I can't take care of a well behaved puppy! Wondering if it's because I live alone and was overwhelmed by a new change. Can't figure out what's wrong with me.

The good news is a family member lives near by so we've temporarily moved the dog & crate over there today and she's doing fine. I'm taking it easy at home trying to come down from whatever this is with me.

Is this even remotely normal? Is it possible to not be emotionally capable of taking care of an animal? Is that even possible? Or is it just time to adjust to this kind of change? I feel weird asking that to people who don't even know me but I'm little distraught and doubting my sanity. Anxiety & tears over a good dog. Maybe it's too much for me and I'm maxed out on what I can handle at this moment in my life. Fortunately the family member with her today loves her already & may be interested in having her if I can't get my act together.

Would love people's thoughts as long as you don't say anything mean. Beaten up myself enough.
I can't think of anything better than to have a new pup, a new best friend (you will never find a better one), a companion, a playmate. What is it exactly that is bothering you?

Lynsey

·
Registered
685 Posts
It is normal to experience the "Puppy Blues" after adopting a new pup. Many of us on this forum have been there, maybe even most of us. It will pass, but it may last several weeks. I gave my first puppy back to the rescue I had adopted him from about a week after bringing him home. I immediately regretted it, and the rescue graciously let me have him back. If you can hang on to your sanity, a little bit down the road you will find yourself wondering why you ever felt this way. :thumbsup:

I suffer from high anxiety and depression, so I've some idea of how you're feeling. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
It is very normal and you will find many many threads where people experience the same thing. In some ways the adjustment is similar to being a new parent as its a round the clock deal in the early days and it's a living breathing creature who is dependant on you, but remember that you don't have to be perfect, make a day by day plan and just take it one day at a time. Persevere and it will get better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Certainly not unusual to have second thoughts and all the emotions that accompany that. Twelve weeks is still a pretty young puppy, but she will settle into your routine as she gets older. You just have to tough out the puppy time, but, you will find at some point you treasure her as a true member of the family. Suddenly every sacrifice you make for her, will become trivial compared to what she will give you in return.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.