Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a new puppy from a family member. He's a Schnauzer-Pug mix and is 5 weeks old and adorable. I just have no idea how to train a puppy.

Mostly I want to learn how to teach him not to bite people when he's playing. His teeth don't hurt yet, but I have 3 little kids and don't want him to think it's ok to play with them like that. So far whenever he gets playful and tries biting I use a chew toy to try to get him to learn to bite that instead. Is there anything else I can do?

I'm also curious about crate training and what to do at night. From what I've read a puppy that young shouldn't be crated for more than 2hrs at a time because they need to go potty that often. This is fine during the day since I'm here with the kids, but at night there is no way I can get up multiple times a night with him. I have a baby that I already get up with every few hours so adding that in just won't work. One thing I read said that you can shut them in a room with their crate and a potty pad if you can't take them out as often as needed, so that they aren't crated for too long. Do you think that would work?

Last (for now lol) at what age do dogs get shots/neutered?

Thanks for any advice :)

Oh, and this is Sam:

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
hello sam welcome!,
5 weeks is very very young for a pup to be away from its litter, between 5 and 10 weeks, puppies learn a lot from mom and siblings that will help them to have better manners later, one of those things is bite inhibition. they learn how hard a bite is when it hurts and that other critters don't like it. with a puppy that young and 3 little kids, you are going to watch them all like a hawk to ensure everyone is safe. distracting him with a chew toy when he is playing rough is great, keep doing it. you can also yelp whenever he gets his mouth on you, make it quick, high pitched, and sudden and he will pick up on the fact that biting can hurt.
if you are getting up with the baby, could you not put the puppy out to potty at the same time? crate training is great, and as the pup gets older he will be able to hold his bladder for longer and longer. you do have to crate train though, it takes time. i personally have never used the potty pads, but i'm sure that others here have and will give good advice. there is a thread in this training section that has good training books listed, you should check that out. good luck!

oh yeah, i'm pretty sure that we all want to see pictures.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice :)

Yes, Sam definitely is young to be away from his mother, but the lady whose dog mothered them was not happy about her purebred pug mating with the schnauzer and was anxious to get rid of them asap so she made sure they were weaned at 4wks and was going to take them to the grocery store and give them out, but our aunt (the schnauzer owner) offered to take them to find them good homes, so that's how we ended up with him so young.

I don't know much about crate training except the little I've had time to read in the last day, but what I've been trying to do is have him eat, take him out to potty, bring him back in to play for a bit, and then put him in the crate to sleep and give him a break from the kids, and repeat every few hours.

At night I really cannot get myself up to take him out though. I'm exhausted enough and can barely wake up to roll over and feed my baby, plus if I get out of bed it takes me forever to get back to sleep, I would not get any sleep at all if I had to actually get up with the dog too. I know that sounds selfish, but I can barely function on what little sleep I get right now, any less and I'd be a basket case. I would have my husband do it, but he sleeps like the dead and once he's out nothing wakes him up lol.

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
you can also try not to let him take too much food/water just before bed and make sure you take him out immediately before you go to bed. like i said, i've never used the potty pads, but i know people who swear by them. i think that it may work to use them until he gets more control...someone else who uses them may have better advice.
for the crate training, try feeding him in the crate, with the doors open too.
oh, i don't think i can see sam's pic on this computer, but i'll check it out when i get home.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts