Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://pinterest.com/pin/164522192607782309/

Greetings!

Brand new to the forum, and especially hoping to connect with Catahoula owners. (Is there a specific area in the forum for Catahoulas?) We ended up with a Catahoula accidentally (adopted her as a pup from the local shelter, where they dubbed her an Australian Shepherd Mix), and let me just say that when a friend recognized and identified her actual breed, it was quite the eye-opener AND a blessing! This is a unique, challenging and special breed, and understanding their idioscyncricies has made coping with her behavior much less stressful!

Biscuit (aka Bicky) is almost 10 months old, weighs in at about 75 lbs. now, and is gorgeous, loyal, SMART, strong-willed, stubborn, goofy, joyful, and will do just about anything to get and keep our attention. This is sometimes not pleasant, but we are working with a trainer to work out the issues. Bicky learns SO quickly, and working with the clicker has been fun for all of us.

I have never had a dog this smart and intuitive, and she matches me in stubbornness, which is kind of amusing at times. (Dog as mirror of human mom!)

Three weeks ago we adopted another shelter pup, a Pomeranian mix who has been named Harry, though most of the time I call him Little Guy or Yittle. I know. Bad. Hopefully I'll knock it off, and it won't stick! He is a sweetheart, and Bicky has loved the addition to our family, although the size difference means supervised play time at the moment.

I came to be a dog lover late in life. I was a cat person from birth, and though my family had dogs while I was growing up, and I liked them just fine, I never really developed relationships with them. 16 years ago, when I relocated from Massachusetts to Illinois, the home we bought came with a "dog yard", and it just seemed natural to fill it. I became mom to Mollie (chow mix-rescue) and Lily (Pomeranian-bought from local breeder) within months of each other, and they were my constant companions for 14 years. I lost them both within three months of each other (November 2011 and February 2012), and I was devastated. Biscuit was already with us when I lost Lily in February, and I know she eased my heartbreak. I feel complete having two dogs again. My cats feel... irritated. :) All five of the current furkids are rescues, and I am committed to being a rescue mom forever now.

Okay... long introduction. I'll stop now! Except for one question. When I click on DOG at the top and the breeds pop up... NO CATAHOULA!?!?!?! So how do I find the other Catahoula peeps? I need you!!!

Jeanne

P.S. Those on Facebook can find me under Jeanne Simpson Dunn or ID Jeanze. I'm also on Pinterest, where I have a board dedicated to my dogs. Look me up!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Welcome. I must admit that my first thought was that you had one dog: a catahoulaXpom which broke my brain for a moment. ;)

Pkelley is our resident catahoula lover here. I'm sure she will be here in a bit with a large party.

Catahoulas are gorgeous dogs. I almost adopted one a month ago, but it wasn't the right time for it. I'm sure one will find it's way into my family sometime.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah! Hm... yes, my subject line is confusing! Definitely two doggies, though...

That photo was about an hour after Harry (the Pom mix) arrived on August 11. Biscuit was deleriously thrilled with her new "toy."

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Welcome. I must admit that my first thought was that you had one dog: a catahoulaXpom which broke my brain for a moment.
I thought the same thing! lol i was like: "I hope they have pictures of that... gotta be interesting." lol

Welcome to the forums!

Pkelley and you are going to get along great, lol she LOVES houlas :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts