• Other

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Hello everyone new here and even new to puppies really. I have no idea what I am really doing with these two. I try to watch and research as much as possible. Minato and Itachi were born on October 21, 2013. They are brothers but look nothing alike and act nothing alike. Minato looks like a Doberman and is big, floppy, droopy eyed, clumsy all around dog. Itachi is small, hyper, more like a Pitbull just a lot smaller, a runt, scared, but also the first to bark at anything he sees, and just more like a cat.
I think they had two totally different dads but they were born at the same time and had a red-nose tiger-stripped Pitbull mommy. (which is who Itachi looks like) (I'll add photos today). I have a hard time training them to do anything because they distract each other but then have separation anxiety if you separate them too far away from each other.
I guess I am just looking for general advice. I am watching positive reinforcement videos on YouTube. Minato loves to dig and run away. He gets out of the gate and when we yell for him wont come back all the time, he just stands there and looks at us. But he loves his walks and is pretty good on them for the most part. He also won't stay out of the garbage and we can't leave him out of the cage in the downstairs unless someone is in the same room because he will still pee on the floor. Itachi is just a shaky little guy. He is scared of everyone. If you walk up to him he will like lean back and pee on himself. He likes to follow his big brother out of the gate but will come back in when called for and doesn't stray to far from home. He is a little spazzy on walks. He barks at everything we pass and is always yanking on his leash and chokes himself. I don't even like to take him because he scares me and I've done everything. He also will pee, just not as likely, if left alone for a bit. I've finally gotten them to a point where they eat out of their own bowls and they will sleep in their own cages now. They both eat thing out of the yard or streets that they find, (clothes, sticks, mulch, you name it) and then puke and get sick, or have trouble eating. They also, always stink? I bath them like once a week but they need it more. I just don't want to dry out their skin. They get into, who knows what, I don't know what else to do because they LOVE to play and run in the yard. :confused::eek:

PLEASE HELP & THANKS

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
You have to train them separately. I know they miss each other but they need to develop a relationship with you without the other one. With littermates it's very important that the pups relationship with you is stronger than their relationship with each other. With my littermates I walked them separate, trained separate, and had "mommy time" with each on everyday.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have litter-mates and I know you don't want to hear this but you really should consider rehoming one of them. I did know about litter-mates and associated problems but it was rescue situation so I still went ahead with it. I did everything by the book, walk separate, train them separate, both spend more time with us than with each other etc. Both had their own doggie-friends which they played with without the brother etc. It was insane amounts of work and it seemed to work. Both did not get overly dependent on each other, both bonded with me and my wife. No separation anxiety from each at all. Seemed things went well. And yet, at 10 months old, they started to fight and can now not be in the same room. Can't play together, can't be walked together (with one handler at least). Inter-dog aggression with a household is one of the most serious behavioural problems you can get. It's very hard to resolve and brings more stress to your home than you can imagine. No one should have to go through this.
You might be lucky, you might end up with two well-rounded dogs that both get along with each other, other dogs and is well bonded to their people. But the chance is pretty small and if you re-home one of them now while they are still cute and adoptable, you give both of them (and yourself) a much better chance of getting a good life.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Are these pups really 10 weeks old? Your description sounds more like 4 or 5 months.

As others have said, you are really set up for problems with littermates, especially as a new sounding puppy owner.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
They are 5 months old
Ha! I'm an idiot... Somehow I inserted a decimal between the 2 and the 5 in the title making the puppies 2.5 months, or 10 weeks old! :eek:

Too much looking at numbers in my world I guess!
Well, the good part is, at least I got a feel for the fact these were older pups!

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Welcome. :) Definitely check out the threads in the "Training and Behavior Stickies" section. Lots of useful info there! Some books that might help are the Puppy Primer by Patricia McConnell and How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves by Sophia Yin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your replies. They are 5 months old now... It's kinda hard to decide which one goes. They are both like family now. But it would be a lot easier I'm sure. I guess I will talk with the kiddos and we will make a family decision. Thanks for all the other advice and input as well. Let's see what happens
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
It is a very tough decision but on the bright side it's the best thing for both dogs (duh) and an incredibly good lesson for the kids. It takes a big parent to sit down with the kids and say "We made a bit of a mistake, now we need to do what's best for the animal." Letting something go for it's own good is a hard lesson to learn but ultimately something that will really stick with the kids.

And thankfully this is not a super super urgent "We're moving in 3 days, take our dog now" situation. It's spring time and a lot of people are looking for puppies. I think that as far as adoptive parents go you will have a really good selection and can make sure that you pick a real winner for the pup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts