Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis is my first time on Dog Forum! I will be the proud owner of a 6 week old female Shorkie (Leila) on Christmas Eve. I am so overwhelmed because we have had a Choclate Lab (Gunner) for 4 years and my boys brought home a stray 12 week old lab/retriever, beagle mix (Chipper) on Nov 29th. We never considered ourselves "dog people", but we have totally fallen in love with them. GUnner came to us huse trained but has tons of stuff we can still teach him. We have been crate training Chipper and he is doing really good. But now, enter brand new Leila and I have no idea how to train her or how the other 2 are gonna react to one so small. Chipper already uses Gunner as a chew toy (need to know how to break that!!!) any advice will be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Welcome to you & your big doggy family! :)
Uuumm...I mean this with no offence buuuut, what is a "Shorkie" a mix of? A yorkie is in there, Im sure
I am sure people will be along to help with your questions soon, I will jump on after work to see how I can help.

Reactions: AllieD

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Hi there! Hey, I see you haven't gotten your puppy yet! That's awesome! 6 weeks is too young to be leaving the mom and littermates! Is there any way you can convince the people you are buying her from to keep her longer? This will help her develop better dog-dog interaction skills that are pretty important, especially since you've got two larger dogs already.

To be honest, it's a pretty big red flag that they are selling her so young... add the whole "designer breed" thing to it, and I will just cross my fingers that you are getting a healthy puppy with parents who have been screened and certified for both the yorkie and [shih tzu?] breed health issues.

Actually I just re-read your post and see that you say you are overwhelmed and already have a puppy. Is there a reason you are taking on another one if you don't feel prepared?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Ditto!! ^^^

Not to seem unwelcoming but everything crock said above is what I was going to say. You may want to reconsider what you're taking on.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
First Welcome to the forum.
Second I agree with the above post. When it comes to designer mutts I am always pretty weary. Designers usually end up having many problems and your $1000 plus puppy would end up turning into a 100,000 dollar problem. (If you are lucky and you happen to get a pup who is healthy and has none of the health problems of the two breeds.) I stay clear away from designer mutts unless they are surrendered in the shelter. Most designer mutt breeders don't do health testing. (blood work not yearly annual check up from the vet.)

Also, if I was in your shoes, based on the current situation you are in with your current dogs, I would hold off on getting another puppy/dog. (doesn't matter designer or not) It sounds like you already have your hands full and the last thing you don't want to do is bite off more then you can chew. We don't want to see one or more of the dogs going to a shelter because it got too much to handle for you and your family.

My advice would be to wait before you add on another addition to the pack. Dogs can feel your stress level and they can easily taken that energy off you and use it to your disadvantage. (They may act out because of the energy you and yoru family are giving off.) So I would wait until things settle down for you guys and you are ready to take on another pup. ^_^

Oh can I also ask to see pictures of your pack? We love pictures here at Dogforum. Please please please.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts