Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a 6 year old 5.5 lb. Terrier/mix form a local shelter about a month ago. All things considered things are going very well. I want to focus on one specific problem here which may not be a problem at all, unless I make it one. Let me try to explain: I've placed a small "kitty" bed on the end of a couch-like daybed which is located in a short hallway just outside my small studio-apartment/room This is where he waits for me when I am "away". For our first month together he stayed close to me in my room, followed my out into the hall (where the bathroom is) and back into my room with no prompting (separation anxiety has never been an issue as you will see).Lately, he follows me out into the hall, assumes his "place" in the kitty bed and will not leave it. I would prefer that he follow me back into my room, but he will not come when called and seems to prefer to occupy the hall by himself. I can take an hour nap, get up, open my door and though I expect to see him at the door waiting for it to open - he is still happily on his perch, rolled up or stretched out on his back in sleep or total repose. I make it a point not to call him to come more than once. For now, I accept the fact that he prefers to be out in the hall rather than in the room with me at these times. There is water out there and there is no chance for him to get into any kind of "trouble" he has met the persons who reside on either side of the "walls" so does not bark when they come or go. I don't know how to get him into the room with me without bodily picking him up. I do not want to violate his safe place, which is a rule I've set for myself with every dog I've ever had. If I cannot summon him verbally he will remain there until I find the right way to get him to "come". Rather than make this a problem, I am here in search of a solution first. I suppose I could simply remove the kitty bed and the step that gives him easy access to it. The whole point of the "nest" in the hall is to provide a comfortable and secure spot for him to wait for me when I am 'away" - It worked for my Toy Poodle for ten years. My Poodle (who I lost recently) would have always preferred to be in the same room with me. This is very different and I don't know what to do. I hope this is somewhat clear and not too long a post. Thanks, anybody!! ....................

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't see a problem here. Evidently the dog feels quite content to occupy that space alone. In order to make him come just try to condition the response by using treats or something along those lines.

I have a poodle as well and I can confirm that they have a very strong herding instinct and prefer to be close to you most of the time. Your new dog might just be wired differently.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I’d wait and see what happens. I rehomed a four year old dog and it took some time before she wanted to be close by all the time. It’s certainly her preference now but this happened gradually over a couple of years. She’s a fair timid dog so I suspect personality played as much a part as her breed did. It will be interesting to see what your dog’s preference is after a few months have passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah just be patient. A month is not very long especially for a dog that age. Jus praise and reward him when he wants to be with you. I would probably make it a point to leash him up and take him on regular walks just as a way to get some bonding time in a way that the dog will enjoy. Walking together as a pack is something I have noticed seems to help dogs with other dogs but also with their human. I know my recently adopted dog seems to really enjoy those times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh we've bonded alright. I can't sit in my recliner without him climbing up on me and falling asleep. He is very affectionate. I started taking him on long walks right off and to parks after the first week, he's running off lead with other dogs and coming when called already, goes just about everywhere with me. I gave him his first bath today since adopting him. We came home this afternoon from a great time at the park with his new friends, he ate and took to his perch and fell asleep out there. It's kinda cold and he was rolled up in a ball so I threw a little blanket over him. Next time I checked he was sacked out on his back. He just likes it out there. I did manage to coax him in the other day with treats but I'd rather save treats for actual training. There's something else going on here. I think he just likes his own company (dog after my own heart). He is extremely intelligent. I think he's keeping an eye on ME. Who knows, maybe he digs the peace and quiet, as long as he isn't barking - if he's happy, I'm happy. The experts all say Terriers have an independent gene. He is a different dog than he was a month ago. I am very proud of him, and I have to pat myself on the back too if I may....... Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh we've bonded alright. I can't sit in my recliner without him climbing up on me and falling asleep. He is very affectionate. I started taking him on long walks right off and to parks after the first week, he's running off lead with other dogs and coming when called already, goes just about everywhere with me. I gave him his first bath today since adopting him. We came home this afternoon from a great time at the park with his new friends, he ate and took to his perch and fell asleep out there. It's kinda cold and he was rolled up in a ball so I threw a little blanket over him. Next time I checked he was sacked out on his back. He just likes it out there. I did manage to coax him in the other day with treats but I'd rather save treats for actual training. There's something else going on here. I think he just likes his own company (dog after my own heart). He is extremely intelligent. I think he's keeping an eye on ME. Who knows, maybe he digs the peace and quiet, as long as he isn't barking - if he's happy, I'm happy. The experts all say Terriers have an independent gene. He is a different dog than he was a month ago. I am very proud of him, and I have to pat myself on the back too if I may....... Thanks!
Well, I went out and picked him up and he was "putty in my hands" so to speak. I can't for the life of my figure out why he stays out there. Could it be that he's waiting for me to get him??? Just one of life's mysteries I guess. He hears the neighbor just below the hall railing and doesn't make a peep (after meeting him twice down there). Could be that he feels like a watchdog centrally posted out there. OK, I've bothered you guys enough with this. There are members with REAL concerns on this forum. Everyone's problems are big to them right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts