Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long.story.short.

We have a 12 yr old miniature schnauzer and my wife got the wild idea to adopt a rescue dog. He's a 2 yr old cairn terrier.

We are trying to get the new dog into our routine, and my wife has little to no experience in training a dog and I haven't had to in at least 20 years.
Can anyone help with:

- new dog is chewing through things when we aren't home.....like my Beats headphones.
- new dog is super, super energetic and jumps up constantly and wont' set still even long enough to put on a leash.
- We know nothing about crates, should he be crated?

Please help, we're desperate.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Long.story.short.

We have a 12 yr old miniature schnauzer and my wife got the wild idea to adopt a rescue dog. He's a 2 yr old cairn terrier.

We are trying to get the new dog into our routine, and my wife has little to no experience in training a dog and I haven't had to in at least 20 years.
Can anyone help with:

- new dog is chewing through things when we aren't home.....like my Beats headphones.
- new dog is super, super energetic and jumps up constantly and wont' set still even long enough to put on a leash.
- We know nothing about crates, should he be crated?

Please help, we're desperate.
If he's chewing and destroying things then yes, he should be crated. Although you can also choose to set up a play pen or a empty room that will serve the purpose too.

- Don't reward him for excitement, reward for calm. The reward can be a treat, a toy, the walk, or your attention. If he jumps and barks and gets all excited when you try to leash him then stop. Go sit on the couch and do something else. When he settles down, try again. If he acts up again, stop and sit down again. At first your routine will be long, but eventually with consistency you will have a dog calmly waiting for your to put the leash/harness on. This works for rides and going out doors too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Absolutely purchase a crate and crate the new dog all times you are not directly supervising. Over time the dog will settle down and learn the rules of the house. Provide appropriate bones and chew toys. Be consistent and diligent with training. Take the collar off EVERY time you use the crate so it doesn't get caught which can choke the dog. Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have to try that for when he is to get leashed to go out. We have a spare sunroom, however it is dreadfully hot this time of year and there is only a ceiling fan in there so my wife is worried he would get too hot. I blocked the doorway to it for air circulation with an overstuffed chair, and this little cairn terrier jumped clean over it :eek:

Right now my priorities of him are:

1. Stop jumping and going berzerk when attempting to leash him to go for a walk.

2. Stop him from chewing through things.

3. Have him learn the words "no"

It's a tall order.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts