Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our last roommate had 2 loud, poorly behaved Gsds, and our new roommate moved in yesterday with her 8 month old gsd. This dog overall is better trained and socialized, but in the crate not so much. When the new roommate left for work this morning, I thought the house was going to collapse with how Misha carried on! She barked, screamed, howled and made dying whale noises. Then she started shaking her crate so violently I thought it was just going to collapse. This was at 7am, and when I left 45 mins later she was still going. I have never heard anything like it.

I've always liked shepherds, but at this point I'm very over them. I have 3 dogs and they couldn't make that much noise combined! Never mind the fact that they'd never dream of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
They just moved in? I am sure it's a pretty scary and stressful day for the puppy. Give her some time. If she doesn't simmer then I would probably talk to the roommate. That can be very frustrating though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently this is normal for the dog. But it will have to change cuz no way we can deal with that!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Oh yea, no one should have to deal with that...

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
That is a puppy / dog that was probably never properly crate trained, throw in moving to a new place and you have a dog that probably feels that it's been trapped in a strange place and has no idea if anything bad is going to happen to it. On top of it it may have separation anxiety which may be being made worse by the crate.

How is the dog if it's left loose in a dog proofed room? Will it settle down and be calm or does it freak out and destroy things?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree that she was never properly crate trained. I haven't seen any signs that the dog is horribly upset despite the tantrums. If you go in the dog is happy and not nervous or shaky at all. I mean clearly she's not happy she's in the crate, but it doesn't seem to be actual separation anxiety. She can't be left loose at all or she destroys things and potties. She also barks this way when her owner is home unfortunately, every time she hears a person or dog go past the bedroom. It's kind of a tough thing to address since the roommate just moved in and we don't want to make her feel bad, but clearly it can't continue.

·
Registered
290 Posts
At 8 months she should be well into house training, if not fully done with it. Same with training for the crate. Do you know what the owner does with the dog when she is home? Does she bother to have training sessions in anything? The tantrums are all you need to tell you that she is highly stressed, especially if she's shaking the crate that violently. Not only that, but by doing so she could actually injure herself so putting her in the crate is dangerous for this particular dog until she is crate trained.

It's your home. I'm renting too, and right off the bat if there was something I was doing that my landlord wasn't very happy with, he'd let me know and I'd fix it. Common courtesy and common sense (both, sadly, uncommon in the world today). I find it hard to believe that she might not know how her dog acts. If she is really that loud and stressful (depending on your neighbor situation; how close other houses are to you), you can bring up the fact that if the neighbors can hear this dog they may report disturbance of peace. She should train the dog or get rid of it. A dog doesn't train itself.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We live on a farm so there's no neighbors.
She has done obedience classes with the dog, but the dog really pays no attention to humans other than being nosy and rude. She rushes past you through doors(getting into my bedroom is a struggle), walks directly in front of you, doesn't come when called, doesn't understand no. I don't understand how people live with their dogs this way. I have a dog not much older, and she's fully house and cratetrained and has been for some time.

We are going to be having a talk with her, because its sent the whole house into a tailspin. There's not one moment of peace and that simply can't continue.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.